Help wanted: how to drift solo?

E
everett464
I am looking for suggestions on how to conduct a solo drift. I have a pickup, and will be floating with a single person pontoon boat that fits in the back.

My question is this: how do I do the boat launch shimmy. I have done it before with two vehicles and two people, but what do some of you folks do when you are floating by yourself?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

heart,

Ev

M
metalfisher76
You`ll need a shuttle, sounds like? Where ya driftin?

E
everett464
I was thinking the Mac somewhere below Leaburg. Maybe Hendricks in to town.

M
Markcanby
I always just had my wife come pick me up:lol::lol: But now I just get someone to go with me

Troutski
Troutski
Shuttle

Shuttle

Great drift, when do you plan on making your float? If I am free I would be happy to shuttle you, let me know.
Tight lines...

Chuck

M
metalfisher76
Hmm. I`d start a thread to see if an OFFer can shuttle ya. My dad does the Sandy and Clack. But you gotta lot of members in the area. Shouldn`t be too hard to enlist a helping hand.

E
everett464
wowza. That is awesome. The general generosity here always amazes me. I actually don't have any specific plans, but I was thinking sometime in the next two weeks, so if the wifey trick doesn't work, I will let y'all know.

Thanks again.

Ev

C
capblack
I have seen guys lock a bicycle to a tree at the take out, and peddle back to get there truck. these days though Im not sure id want to leave my boat at the take out while I get my truck. I think getting someone to shuttle your rig is the best way. On the santiam back when I had a drift boat, Bob Lusk would shuttle your rig anywhere on the north for $10. Thats the way to go. I think the OFFer shuttle is the best idea. That way you know your rig is in good hands and it will be at the take out when you get there. Brian

kirkster
kirkster
I could give out a hand to someone in this situation on the clack or sandy

A
autofisher
capblack said:
I have seen guys lock a bicycle to a tree at the take out, and peddle back to get there truck. these days though Im not sure id want to leave my boat at the take out while I get my truck. I think getting someone to shuttle your rig is the best way. On the santiam back when I had a drift boat, Bob Lusk would shuttle your rig anywhere on the north for $10. Thats the way to go. I think the OFFer shuttle is the best idea. That way you know your rig is in good hands and it will be at the take out when you get there. Brian

Shuttle Bob rocks! Guy's hilarious and if you didn't know who he was you sure as heck wouldn't trust him with your rig based OFF the looks of him..... But he's nice as can be and does a great job with his service.

F
Finneus Polebender
capblack said:
Have seen guys do the same with scooters and mopeds also just make sure ya lock up the toon if theyll heist a willys drift boat you know a toon would be gone in 60 sec.

E
everett464
Finneus Polebender said:
a toon would be gone in 60 sec.

I know, right? I thought about a bike, but I wouldn't Wan't to leave either tied up to a tree at a boat launch.

T
TTFishon
I wonder if the city bus would let you strap your toon to the bike rack. I used to work with a guy that would take the bus up to Mckenzie Bridge and float back to town on his raft.

E
everett464
TTFishon said:
I used to work with a guy that would take the bus up to Mckenzie Bridge and float back to town on his raft.

This is ingenuity gold. I am going to figure out a way to make it work.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
My advice when shuttling your own rig with a bike or moped is to shuttle your rig before you float. It's been my experience that most popular put-in/take-out combos leave the take-out less maintained and more secluded than the put-in. In addition, thieves who case the put-ins are usually looking for people to victimize at the take-out, have their whole operation set up as such and have your entire float to formulate a plan. If you just have a pontoon or the put in has enough room to park a boat in good sight but still out of the way it's much safer to leave your moped at the take-out, drop your boat at the put-in, run your rig down to the take-out and ride the moped or bike back to the put-in with your rods in hand. It would be earlier in the day, more people around, thieves are far less prepared, you have more energy to hustle back to your boat, etc. IMO the much safer method when shuttling alone.

E
everett464
Thats sort of what I was thinking too. I will probably be using a bicycle if I attempted something like that, so getting the shuttling out of the way beforehand would not only be safer, but it would be nice not to have to mess around with it after a long float too.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

G
GDBrown
A lot of the time when I'm on the Wilson there are others in the same boat (pun intended) and we can help each other out with a shuttle group thing. I've done this several times without advanced planing and the other guys seem to be fine with it also. I had room in the LBD to lock all my gear in the boat so I was an easy passenger on the trip upriver.

GD

G
gordo
My friend and I just floated Finn Rock to Prince Helfrich this past Sunday... We shuttled ourselves, but as we were putting in at Finn Rock, it was semi-crowded, and one person asked us if we had already done our shuttle... we told him we did, but he said, "It doesn't hurt to ask!". Moral of the story... if you have a little spare time, and if you're feeling lucky, if you hit the river on a busy day (a sunny 90 degree Sunday in our case), you might have a decent chance of hitching a ride with someone. I guess you still would have to leave your boat unattended for some period of time though...