"help"trolling technique for big bully's

Diehard
Diehard
i was wondering if anybody might have some advice on hook set technique when trolling a herring the same way you would for salmon only instead for bull trout at lake billy chinook i was turned on to this technique a few years ago and it works well exept for the hooking of the fish part my rod starts getting bites i wait for a good tug set the hook and nothing any recomendations would be greatly appreciated:think:

H
halibuthitman
down size for a nice suprise

down size for a nice suprise

I use to do a lot of trolling with bait plugs for Kamloops trout and big brown trout in eastern wa. and north idaho, we had the same problem until we found the smallest herring we could and downsized our hooks to half the size, then we used rubber bands to help secure our bait to the hooks and wham! doubled our catch rate, and later we learned if the fish werent taking good we would back the boat down and let the bait fall, most fish hit hardest on the fall and its a kind of fun tryin to nail a strike like that.

"60% of the time it works every time!!":lol:

Reactions: Dichrofisher and Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Who wudda thunk it?

Who wudda thunk it?

halibuthitman said:
I use to do a lot of trolling with bait plugs for Kamloops trout and big brown trout in eastern wa. and north idaho, we had the same problem until we found the smallest herring we could and downsized our hooks to half the size, then we used rubber bands to help secure our bait to the hooks and wham! doubled our catch rate, and later we learned if the fish werent taking good we would back the boat down and let the bait fall, most fish hit hardest on the fall and its a kind of fun tryin to nail a strike like that.

"60% of the time it works every time!!":lol:

halibuthitman;
Rubber bands?! I'm telling you, I am learning so much on this forum someday I'll start outsmarting fish faster than they can snatch my bait. :clap: Thank you,sir. I will try that instead of wasting so much line. :lol: Be safe.

Troutski
Troutski
Chem light...

Chem light...

I use a rig with Chemlights attached to the swivel above my Sardine, along with a downrigger. Very effective presentation when the fish are starting to become a bit more active. I think the key is the distance behind the boat...you can't be to far back. Use plenty of action on the bait, stopping and sudden turns...hope this helps.

Chuck

Reactions: Dichrofisher
Diehard
Diehard
"good advice"

"good advice"

thank you thats really good advice and if i get to go on march 28th all the big guys will be ready for me to try something new on sounds good anyways positive attitudes get way more fish ive learned if any body else thinks of anything i dont mind filling my tackle box :think: