Help the aging...family camping & fishing!!

J
JayT_B
I had posted previously somewhere that I had not fished since I was about 13 or 14. Now my seven year old daughter and wife are begging to go fishing. So with the help of thuggin'4life and various others I have purchased some rods and poles and some various power bait. Now my wife and daughter have pushed up the time schedule as to when they want to go camping and fishing. So my wife states to me today that she wants to go camping next weekend. Probably just go to Hills creek. I have no clue as how to spool my Shimano ST4000fi or how to set up the line, swivels, weights, etc. I have some hooks, swivels with clips, weights, bobbers. I have no other gear. What else may I need to pull this off? Just simple trout fishing from the bank. What must I have in my tackle box. Hell, just realized if we catch something how about removing the hook, cleaning it, etc. My world is crashing down. When I was younger I was to interested in mountain biking, backpacking, etc. and did not fish with my dad much. Now greatly regretting it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
Dont stress it :) trout fishing is easier then it seems and its pretty fun :D

I catch a lot of trout with just a worm under a bobber. I also catch a lot with panther martin spinners. As far as cleaning, cut the head off under the top fins, then poke the tip of your knife through its butt hole, and slice to the top, do it with out having the knife too far in. Then you can ripp out its guts and lungs, then u want to remove the blood by the spine with your finger nail or a tool. When your trout is done cooking you can pull out most of the bones with pulling the spine out.

I also suggest when out fishing to ask others how theyre fishing, most people will share some tips :D

H
Hawk
JayT_B said:
I had posted previously somewhere that I had not fished since I was about 13 or 14. Now my seven year old daughter and wife are begging to go fishing. So with the help of thuggin'4life and various others I have purchased some rods and poles and some various power bait. Now my wife and daughter have pushed up the time schedule as to when they want to go camping and fishing. So my wife states to me today that she wants to go camping next weekend. Probably just go to Hills creek. I have no clue as how to spool my Shimano ST4000fi or how to set up the line, swivels, weights, etc. I have some hooks, swivels with clips, weights, bobbers. I have no other gear. What else may I need to pull this off? Just simple trout fishing from the bank. What must I have in my tackle box. Hell, just realized if we catch something how about removing the hook, cleaning it, etc. My world is crashing down. When I was younger I was to interested in mountain biking, backpacking, etc. and did not fish with my dad much. Now greatly regretting it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Howdy Jason...:)

Welcome to the Family To you & your Beloved Family.

One of the easiest ways for you to learn & get questions answered is go to Google

Ask a question like 'How do you rig a rod for Trout fishing?
How to rig rod for Trout fishing? - Google Search

It's best to use the least number of words possible when Inquiring about a subject.

Best of Luck to you on your Adventures.

:):):)
:cool:

Last edited:
J
JayT_B
Thank you Hawk. I shall follow your suggestions and see what I can come up with. Have a great evening.

Jason

H
Hawk
On the Forum Main Page right side below the fish picture, you can type in some Search words to Search the forum Threads for desired INFO.

T
Thuggin4Life
As far as camping there is a bunch of free camping above the lake after you cross the last bridge. when the lake is full some of the spots are right on the water. Try casting spoons and spinners. Or to fish bait tie on a hook with a few split shots up a few feet, bait hook and cast out and let it sit on the bottom. Or rig up a bobber instead of wieght and cast out changing the depth of the leader until you catch fish. Try to youtube anything you are unsure of and wish someone could show you and most likely someone will. Glad that you are using the forum to learn some things. If you ever see me out on the water or in a store or whatever be sure to say hi.

N
nwkiller
and also, if you stop by the tackle shop just near the rays grocery store, the owner is a great guy and will tell you whats hitting and where you will have the best luck. he helped me out this weekend with some tips, and always does

J
JayT_B
I did not realize there was a tackle shop near Ray's. Do not recall seeing it there. Will have to pay attention. I only live 5 minutes from Ray's. Thank you gentleman. I sincerely appreciate it.

Jason

Troutski
Troutski
Lucky, lucky angler

Lucky, lucky angler

Bert's Tackle Shop, fresh bait and wonderful stories. If you bring fresh donuts you will get the full deal, trust me he knows your area.........very well.
You live in Trout Mecca. The Middle Fork of the Willamette in your back yard yields Trophy Trout on a very regular basis, flies, lures..open the entire year. Certain restrictions apply but if you want catch and release, you have the water available. Not to mention Hills Creek Res., you lucky, lucky angler. I can't tell you how I envy you.
Tight lines and best of luck

Chuck

F
fishindude
Then you can ripp out its guts and lungs.....................................Throbbit , I didn't realize fish had lungs ?!?!:lol::lol::lol: :cool: