Help : Sink tip line

R
RicerAP1
Finally bought my first fly rod from a member off this site and can't wait to try it out:). Its a 5wt with a sink tip line. Looks like the sink tip is about 10ft long. From what I was told, the line sinks 2 inches per second. I will be doing mainly trout fishing on the clackamas river and occasional lake fishing. My question is will this line work for me or will it sink too much for river fishing? If it sinks too much will cutting the sink tip turn it into a floating line? I know I could just buy a floating line but as a college student its not in my budget:(

So, what are my options here?

B
bigsteel
sink tip will be great for lakes,,,,,,,,,,i would use it on the river and if your getting too deep and can't keep it at a good level throw on a strike indicator and youll be fine.........most my river fishing i use a floating line but sink tip would be nice in deep holes....

T
troutramp
sink tip lines

sink tip lines

it is going to be difficult to have just a sink tip line i think i have some decent 5wt lines sitting around if you need one let me know.
oh I was curious also is your sink tip clear or a darker gray, brown or black ?

R
RicerAP1
troutramp said:
it is going to be difficult to have just a sink tip line i think i have some decent 5wt lines sitting around if you need one let me know.
oh I was curious also is your sink tip clear or a darker gray, brown or black ?

Oh cool. Its light green line that turns a really dark green at the last 10ft

T
troutjunkie88
Recently ive been using a sink tip leader for all my nymph fishing, less weight on your leader and it casts great. I just carry some floating leaders just in case of a monster hatch

T
troutramp
sink tip lines

sink tip lines

I will check my inventory but i bet i have a decent 5wt line thats not too beat up, the guys on here will no more about fishing the big rivers and sink tips, but if your going to fish small creeks or resiviors or a hatch a floating line is must.

R
RicerAP1
I went out on the Sandy today to try it out and confirmed that it won't work well for the river. I'm dying to go fishing but can't drop $60+ on a brand new line lol. If anyone here has good condition or decent floating 5wt line pm me with a price.

Thanks for all the info guys. So happy I found this forum or I would be LOST

T
troutramp
Ricer PM me your shipping address.

Troutski
Troutski
The membership is OFF at its best

The membership is OFF at its best

Again you people are why this site is growing, with members like this we can't fail.....Thanks to all of you !!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Chuck