Help on special lure

A
ancientmarinerjoe
HI:
I'm a newbie at this, so sorry if I sound dumb.

I'm trying to get info on a salt water trolling lure used for Albacore fishing.
I saw it on a TV fishing show.
The PEW(?) group hired out a boat for Albie fishing.
They used what appeared to me as a small fresh water 4 spinner bladed lure with what appeared to be a 4 inch NATURAL
CEDAR PLUG hung from a seperate (non spinner blade) metal bar.

It seems Oregon Tackle(?) was using them on the tv show, along with two guys from the PEW research group.

I have tried to call OREGON TACKLE SHOP.

I have gone to it's WEBSITE.

NO ANSWER on both counts. Maybe there out Tuna fishing.

Can anyone give me the name of that lure and :
1) what speed to use it at?

2) How far back in the wake would it be used at?

3). What other lure from the center could be used?

I'm an old ex commercial fisherman, now FUN FISHING.
I'm retired(?) for whatever that meanse, and was given one of the above lures, sans ANY info on it.

Since the local quacks all said "Joe, NO MORE COLD WEATHER FISHING for you OR it's TOE TAG CITY".

I've moved to Florida. No one here knows anything about it, SSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO,

I'm stuck in this HOT BOX.

Nancy ....SWMBO....aka......Who Must Be Obeyed , said give the guys out there a shout.

One more question guys and I'll shut up and hope I get some answers.
What, when, and where do you guys have salt water shows? That way I can fly out there and enjoy that wonderful scenery and weather.

Wack'm...'N...Stack'm right into your fish box.

Joseph B...aka...Ancient Mariner

P
plumb2fish
Sounds a lot like a spreader bar...

A
ancientmarinerjoe
Thanks for the quick comeback.
I spoke to the guys who build that spreader bar. They were very helpful.
Being an ex commercial , I have met people from all over the world. Some nice, others...............
The rigs they sell reminded me of the old spreader bars I used off Montauk Point when I commercial fished for StrippedBass.
the difference was, we had lures (with hooks) on all the bars and we used MONEL wire line to get the dpreader bars deep.

Again, thank you for your courtesy in answering my question.

Wack'm...'N...Stack'm into your fish box

T
troutmasta
Sounds Like a spreader bar.

Cedar Plugs are my favorite for Albacore. You usually only get one out of four you buy.

Side Note: STS had a great article on tuning Cedar plugs a year or two ago.

P
plumb2fish
Spreader bar, 5-7kts, tuna clone , I run it in the 3rd wake back from the boat.
Salt water Sportsmans show is in the early spring I believe. Try google Saltwater Sportsmans show Portland Oregon 2014. Sorry didn't read further than what is it called first time.
February 5-9 Portland Expo Center

Last edited:
A
ancientmarinerjoe
Hi:
Spreader bars....yes. I've been using them since the dawn of time......AAARRRGGHHH
UMBRELLA rigs is what I was trrying to say......DOUBLE AAAARRRRGGGGHHH
Have any of you all know what an UMBRELLA rig is? It's been in use for Stripped Bass since the 1950's( Yeah, I'm that old). WE used to get three Bass at a time. I guess that's why they were almost wiped out on the East Coast.
Since watching a rerun of WEST COAST FISHING here in Florida, and talking to the MFG guys, I gotta tell yah, It is a super Albacore rig. Just bending back the 4 arms and attaching spinner blades makes a difference. I'm all for this "NEW" rig. I can't wait to run 30 miles offshore and try it out on 15 pound Yellowfin Tuna. YOUWZA!
A GREAT BIG thanls to all you WEST COAST GUYS who took the time to answer me. That is one thing that I miss about you guys. YOUR WILLING TO SHARE.

I'm going to make sure I get out there for the OREGON fishing shows. One to see what's going on and two to meet you guys and exchange ideas.
I hope to keep this dialog up and exchange ideas.

Thanks again.

Wack'm...'N...Stack'm right into your fishbox