Help on rod purchase (steelhead stalkers)

P
plucas
I am in the market to purchase a new rod and was wondering if anyone had tested or tried out the custom steelhead rods on the steelhead stalker sight. I am looking for a versatile rod that would be able to fish both steelhead and salmon but was concerned that these rods may be too light weight for pulling in salmon. If anyone has heard anything or tested these rods would you let me know how they faired.

I have never been too concerned with buying a fishing rod but as I am fishing on a regular basis now and plan to do so far into the future I want to invest in something reliable as well as versatile. I have 3 lightweight rods which I have used for bass and trout but am looking for something that can handle the weight of a salmon while remaining light and sensitive (maybe I am asking to much, I don't know a great deal about rods:think: Any pointers as to a good rod or information about steelhead stalkers rods would be much appreciated.

Cheers:)

J
JSpencer
I personally dont have any experience with their rods, however they seem abit spendy to me. But that's also not knowing anybody that has used one either.

Personally i have a pair of ugly sticks one is listed for trout but is plenty sturdy for salmon/steelhead so i have it loaded with 20lb test, the other is listed as a salmon/steelhead rod. I have 17lb test on it (the manufacturer line right now, will swap it out after testing it more to see how it does or doesn't do.) Not to mention ugly stick rod/reel combo's are fairly cheap and they're guarantee'd for life.

I also have a few other trout rods that i use for everything smaller. If the steelhead stalker poles are worth it though i may save up for one, just depends on the reviews i see of it.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Comparing an ungly stick to a custom rod is like comparing a pinto to a Ferrari! :lol: Man Ferrari's are expensive cars and my pinto gets me around just fine.

All kidding aside, I have fished with loomis, lamiglas and many other manufacturers and chose rainshadow after fishing with one of their rods down in California. They are great blanks and an excellent company. I would suggest the 9'6" 8-12 lb rod for larger steelhead and small salmon and you could even use the 10'6" 8-12. They have plenty of backbone and are light and sensitive. If you live in the Eugene area I can meet you and let you look at and hold one of my personal rods so you can get a feel of the quality. With a custom rod you are getting higher than factory components and craftsmanship along with a custom to you rod that you will enjoy for life. I may be a little bias but I fished with these rods for years and have been very happy, and I am not easy on rods. Let me know if you have any other questions.

One more thing to add, I do have a 9'6" 8-12 lb casting rod that I am selling for cheap if you were interested. It was used five times last winter as a float and roe rod but with all of the low clear water I ended up using my micro jig rod most of the year. It is my personal rod and has very good fuji guides and reel seat along with the top of the line xst rainshdow blank. If you didn't want to spend as much its an option.

Last edited:
J
JSpencer
You're right it is like comparing a pinto and a Ferrari. Unfortunately i dont have a Ferrari budget...barely have a pinto budget lol.

Im by no means trying to talk people out of buying your rods, in fact ive been searching for reviews on your rods. Unfortunately (for me!) i would have to save up for several months to purchase one, which is why my ugly sticks do me just fine (30 and 35 dollar rod/reel combo's with a lifetime guarantee...that's like finding a rebuilt 69 charger on craigslist for sale by an angry ex-wife/widow for $1 to my poor wallet).

F
FishKiller23
steelhead_stalkers said:
Comparing an ungly stick to a custom rod is like comparing a pinto to a Ferrari! :lol: Man Ferrari's are expensive cars and my pinto gets me around just fine.

All kidding aside, I have fished with loomis, lamiglas and many other manufacturers and chose rainshadow after fishing with one of their rods down in California. They are great blanks and an excellent company. I would suggest the 9'6" 8-12 lb rod for larger steelhead and small salmon and you could even use the 10'6" 8-12. They have plenty of backbone and are light and sensitive. If you live in the Eugene area I can meet you and let you look at and hold one of my personal rods so you can get a feel of the quality. With a custom rod you are getting higher than factory components and craftsmanship along with a custom to you rod that you will enjoy for life. I may be a little bias but I fished with these rods for years and have been very happy, and I am not easy on rods. Let me know if you have any other questions.

One more thing to add, I do have a 9'6" 8-12 lb casting rod that I am selling for cheap if you were interested. It was used five times last winter as a float and roe rod but with all of the low clear water I ended up using my micro jig rod most of the year. It is my personal rod and has very good fuji guides and reel seat along with the top of the line xst rainshdow blank. If you didn't want to spend as much its an option.

I have never used one of your rods but I can say that rainshadow make great blanks.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I know you werent talking bad. :) I know what you mean I could not afford one right now but when I was making good money I was able to get some built. For a long time I did fine with my Berkley IM7 and there are good cheap rods that will get the job done, but if you are able to fish with a custom rod it is really a big difference and it makes the fight more fun as you can feel it better. Also for drift fishing it can be handing since feeling the bite is so important.

Rainshadow blanks are light, sensitive and tough. I have not had one break and I have been fishing them for over three years!

J
JSpencer
Honestly, i wish i could try out all the gear i see flying around here on the OFF forums. From your rods and jigs to TCO spinners and jigs, ive got the itch to try it all. So many options...so little time and money..

P
plucas
I just hit the jackpot, at least I think I did:D I scored a brand new (plastic still on the cork and tag dangling from the shaft) Lamiglas 8'6" medium weight 8-12lb 3/8-3/4 lure rod. I paid 60$ to a friend who never used it as he is now an avid fly fisherman (I think he paid around 90$ for it). I have never owned a Lamiglas before but hear nothing but good things about their gear, hopefully it has good feel to it. It has been over 15 years since I have used such a large pole and I am excited to get it on the river this weekend.

Now all I need is a reel capable of handling the rod (going to be awhile though)! I will have to resort to using my shimano 1000 Sienna for now:(

Steelhead Stalker, thanks for all the information you supplied about the custom rods, I will definitely be checking them out in the near future when cash flow is not so tight.

S
steelhead_stalkers
It sound like you got a great rod and a great price. If you ever have any questions about rods or reels just let me know.

Last edited: