Help on picking a new rod & reel

W
weeblegobble
Looking to upgrade from what I have which is a 1960's hand me down. Looking for a Medium-light spinning rod. I would like to have a decent casting ability and hoping to spend under $60. Also any suggestions for good places to fish for trout within 20 miles of Portland city center. On a bike and bus most of the time, but occasionally use my car.

D
Drew9870
W.W. Grigg in Canby, someone else might be able to help you with the specifics as far as where it is exactly

D
Drew9870
They have a better selection in the Warehouse than on the website, this is the Contact page with the address, call before showing up, they are out at lunch sometimes. You could get atleast two good trout rods for $60 the last time I was there.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF WG!

Yep. Griggs is decent. You may also want to look at a sporting goods shop, like Sportsmans Warehouse. I saw some nice Okuma rods recently in your price bracket. Bi-Mart also has some that aren't bad.

brandon4455
brandon4455
weeblegobble said:
Looking to upgrade from what I have which is a 1960's hand me down. Looking for a Medium-light spinning rod. I would like to have a decent casting ability and hoping to spend under $60. Also any suggestions for good places to fish for trout within 20 miles of Portland city center. On a bike and bus most of the time, but occasionally use my car.

i'd go to bi-mart they have a great selection. and decent prices there is usually a few rods on sale a the one in monmouth that where im goin for my next rod and reel.

troutdude
troutdude
Tell us more about your "1960's hand me down rod". What brand is it for example?

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF, nice to have you on board. As for an up grade for Trout...one just can't go wrong with an Uglystick, they come in all sizes and styles.
I'm with Troutdude, tell us more about the 1960's expensive rod:shock::think:

Chuck

F
frodog
I use an ugly stik ulta light spin 4'8". I have super fun catching trout with this rod. I scored it as a combo at bimart for $30. two years ago but they are still that price. I have since upgraded to a pfluger reel and to me it is a great set up for fishing small steams and lakes.

F
fish4life
Wal-mart has shakespere micro graphite poles for 16.99 I think they come in lenths from 4.5-7" I have two of them 5.5" never had a problem, Even caught a ten pounder out of clear lake on one. nice rods have cork handles also have okuma celio that i got from bi-mart for alittle over $20 that i was using for crappie at brownlee reservoir and caught a 3 and 4 pound catfish on. as for reel I would definitely go with a shimano 2000 spin reel holds a decent amount of 6# test. I think the reel is around 25-30 and they have these at bi-mart.

B
Boo
fish4life said:
Wal-mart has shakespere micro graphite poles for 16.99 I think they come in lenths from 4.5-7" I have two of them 5.5" never had a problem, Even caught a ten pounder out of clear lake on one. nice rods have cork handles also have okuma celio that i got from bi-mart for alittle over $20 that i was using for crappie at brownlee reservoir and caught a 3 and 4 pound catfish on. as for reel I would definitely go with a shimano 2000 spin reel holds a decent amount of 6# test. I think the reel is around 25-30 and they have these at bi-mart.

I have one of those "Micro Lite" rods from Wal Mart in th 4' 6" length. It still use the tiny little Shakespeare reel it came with. One morning while fishing for Blue Gill in Vernonia pond I hooked in to a 25" rainbow and landed it in a 17' canoe. I have also caught at least 100 smallies on it, and a variety of other fish. Those little dudes give you a whole lot of bang for your buck! I have zero complaints, and would recommend one to anyone who likes to play around with really light tackle.

My favorite trout rod is also a rod I picked up at Wal Mart. It's a 6' medium action Shakespeare Durango I picked up out of the clearance bin for $5 bucks. I put a Zebco Platinum 33 reel on on it that I paid about $30 for. Casting it is like pointing my finger. I put it where I want, when I want, the way I want. I like this set-up so well I even gave it a name! "The Red Slayer!"

troutdude
troutdude
I just swung by Wholesale Sports in Salem. They have a nice Okuma UL rod, for $30.