Help-need a "hobie mechanic", doesn't need boat experience

C
Combat Chuck
I have a kicker that came on a boat I just got. Its a 1976 6hp Evinrude. The motor runs great but water is not circulating all the way up the shaft. I figured I should check the impeller. I went to remove the 4 bolts near the water pump of the shaft and 2 of the bolt head were already ripped off. It appeared from the 2 bolts that came out that only upper piece was threaded and the lower part of the shaft was not. I have removed the power-head and disconnected everything but I still cannot separate the lower unit. I can only assume those bolts are whats holding it together. Because of the angle I cannot get a drill or reverse bit into the old bolts. All fixed, just had to beat on it!!!

?

Last edited by a moderator:
T
Thuggin4Life
Go get yourself an easy out. knecks or any similar store will have them. bassically you have to drill a hole into the headles bolt then use the easy out bit by inserting it into the hole and carefully unscrewing the bolt. When i did the motor swap in my accord i broke several bolts and this tool is amazing go get one.

H
halibuthitman
so you can't get an easyout to fit in them?

C
Combat Chuck
Nope, I can't get a straight shot at the bolts. They are up against it and the "wing"(like the technical term?) is only 3"-4" below it. This also means I can't get a straight shot to hammer in the easyout. I did try clamping the reverse bit in vise grips and hitting the grips but it was not enough direct force to work.

H
halibuthitman
can you get a plastic wedge into the casing.... then a sawsall?

M
mikeredding
It looks like the heads are sheared off. If this is the case it should still come off leaving the bolt shafts screwed into the upper. I see that the trim tab it still on the lower unit. You should remove it to make sure there isn't a bolt under it. My Johnson has a long bolt under it going through the lower unit. I fought trying to separate mine until I found it.

C
Combat Chuck
Not sure what you mean by trim tab? Ive never worked on a boat motor before.

M
mikeredding
The trim tab is the little rudder looking thing that is mounted above the prop.

M
mikeredding
mikeredding said:
The trim tab is the little rudder looking thing that is mounted above the prop.

I just looked at an enlarged parts diagram for that motor and it looks like it is a fixed (non adjustable) tab. If this is the case it is not going to help. Check it out and see if it has a bolt through it.

C
Combat Chuck
I think I got it.... stay tuned! lol

C
Combat Chuck
So I got everything apart and the impeller looks fine. Im looking for clogs but can't find any. Any body know the next step? I finally beat on the lower end enough to break it loose and got the bolts off.

G
GDBrown
Corrosion

Corrosion

Combat Chuck said:
Well.. this thermostat could be the problem....

If you found that much corrosion on the thermostat you may want to try and attach a piece of rubber tubing to the water tube going up the housing and see if you can get the water to circulate without the thermostat in place. If not there may be more corrosion in the water channels of the power head.

Just a thought,
GD

C
Combat Chuck
Thank you, thats a good idea. When I get the power head back on I will try that. Ive been able to check everything except where it flows in the power head.

C
Combat Chuck
I just poured water into the empty cavity where the thermostat sits and water came out the bottom of the power head with little delay. Finally a good sign!

M
mikeredding
Combat Chuck said:
So I got everything apart and the impeller looks fine. Im looking for clogs but can't find any. Any body know the next step? I finally beat on the lower end enough to break it loose and got the bolts off.

You do still plan on replacing the impeller right? Do not put the old one back in and make sure you have the fins turned the right direction before closing it up or it will ruin it when you run it.

C
Combat Chuck
There is a very large parts list being made and the impeller is on it.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
So can I assume you're fixing this motor to allow us a koke slay?

C
Combat Chuck
You bet! The parts are ordered hopefully I will get it fixed next weekend.