Help me identify this fly rod

P
psguardian
A family member has just given me their old fly rod since I am getting into the hobby and they have been out for some years.

It is black graphite, 8' and im guessing 4wt. The only identifying marks I can find are two labels; A - Challenger Graphite B - River Dee. The cork handle is separating into rings and I want to know if its worth repairing or time to retire it to the wall.

~psguardian

H
halibuthitman
I believe the rod in question is a Hardy... could you post a picture of the ferrule and the reel seat?

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
ok, how about this, on the cork handle is there a metal medalion forced into any part of the grip?

P
psguardian
I will see about a couple pics when I get home, its time to go to work so I'll be on mobile for the day. Nothing pressed into the cork, however the reel seat is made of polished wood. Oh BTW this is a two piece rod also.

~psguardian

Last edited:
P
psguardian
Ok so I'm home now & while taking the pics I found a new marking (well I didn't see it before anyway) on the fly rod.

Here is the over-view on the kitchen floor (best lighting in the house)
P1030128.jpg

Here is the handle/reel seat & tip of the 2nd piece.
P1030127.jpg

Here are the two labels River Dee(left) & Challenger Graphite(right)
P1030129.jpg

Here is the marking I hadn't seen until today, it seems to be a serial #50412 (6)
P1030126.jpg

I hope someone recognizes it, I would like to restore it (or have it restored) in the future.

~psguardian

H
halibuthitman
I would guess that is a late 80's courtland blank that was custom built by an amature rod builder... looks like a perfectly good flyrod.. I would take it fishing, no need for a rebuild from what I see. The River Dee is one of the UK's premier rivers and is the home of the Hardy Casting school.. The shape of the grip and qaulity of the cork rings combined with the hand turned reel seat and the down locking rings makes me believe that rod was built on the West Coast somewhere-

F
fish4life
I would put some rod wraps on the grip to preserve them and use it. They sell them at bi-mart for like $5 for the smaller sizes.

P
psguardian
Rod wraps huh? Ok, what at rod you think it is 3/4 4/5?

~psguardian

H
halibuthitman
well, the grip is not really the shape or style of grip I would expect on a 4 wt.. and most rod builders would have an all cork reelseat and sliding rings on a rod that light.. just by glancing in the picture and looking at the build its probably a 6 wt