Help me decide.....

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Hey all,

I am having a serious issue trying to decide where to fish this weekend. I was planning on fishing the mouth of the Multnomah Channel against the Columbia for what would be the best possibility for a springer at this point. Well, I just found out from talking to Dave Calhoun from Outdoor GPS that there is a derby there this weekend. Needless to say it was already going to be a sh!poopy show there, even before a derby was happening. SO.........

Do I:

A. Go to the lower Multnomah Channel anyway
B. Go Kokanee fishing at Green Peter
C. Go Kokanee fishing at Detroit Lake (Chance of land locked Chinook there too)
D. Go to my home lake, Hagg Lake and try once again for that 5 LB. Rainbow that keeps evading me.

Thanks for any help here and if you have any reports on current conditions on A and B, please feel free to tell me whats happening there.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
MrGrumpFish said:
C. Go Kokanee fishing at Detroit Lake (Chance of land locked Chinook there too)

I had not heard that.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Neither had I. I was told Salmon that made there way up the river to that area became locked when the dam was built and have since spawned there. I have not checked the validity of that statement.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Last time I fished the lower Willy during a derby on a saturday was about a month ago and it was not fun. Too many boats at the ramps made it hard to launch and retrieve boats, and the parking lots were so packed some people couldnt' find parking. Plus so many people were on the river that the few fish around probably felt so much pressure it put them off the bite. I trolled about 5 hours and didn't get a bite that day, and I saw maybe one fish get caught for all the boats out there.

Green Peter would be my choice. It has some nice land-locked chinook in it -- someone posted about catching a nice one while pulling a plug. And the kokes should be shallow enough that you can troll with an ounce of lead and pick some up. Plus the smallmouth bite should be coming on...i like to fish for smallies around the island and in the whitcomb creek arm.

Hmmm...I might want to roll out there saturday myself.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
MrGrumpFish said:
Neither had I. I was told Salmon that made there way up the river to that area became locked when the dam was built and have since spawned there. I have not checked the validity of that statement.
It's true, most folks just don't know about it. Shhhh...;)

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It said:
Last time I fished the lower Willy during a derby on a saturday was about a month ago and it was not fun. Too many boats at the ramps made it hard to launch and retrieve boats, and the parking lots were so packed some people couldnt' find parking. Plus so many people were on the river that the few fish around probably felt so much pressure it put them off the bite. I trolled about 5 hours and didn't get a bite that day, and I saw maybe one fish get caught for all the boats out there.

Green Peter would be my choice. It has some nice land-locked chinook in it -- someone posted about catching a nice one while pulling a plug. And the kokes should be shallow enough that you can troll with an ounce of lead and pick some up. Plus the smallmouth bite should be coming on...i like to fish for smallies around the island and in the whitcomb creek arm.

Hmmm...I might want to roll out there saturday myself.

I have never put a boat in at Green Peter. Are there any improved ramps or is it launch from the beach? Where can I find them on a satellite view with google maps?

Thanks,

Chris

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
There are two concrete ramps...one on the thistle creek arm, and one on the whitcomb creek arm. Plus there's an unimproved dirt launch on the quartzville arm...and i think you can launch on an unimproved ramp by the dam. Do a google search for Green Peter Reservoir map images and you should find what you are looking for.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Thistle Creek Boat Ramp
Foster, OR 97345
44.481069, -122.516966

whitcomb creek ramp
44.477915, -122.507209

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It said:
Thistle Creek Boat Ramp
Foster, OR 97345
44.481069, -122.516966

whitcomb creek ramp
44.477915, -122.507209

You are awesome my friend! Is one any better than the other, as far as putting you close to where the good fishing is soonest?

Cheers,

Chris

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
I prefer whitcomb creek ramp...research water levels of green peter to find out which ramps are best...but usually you wont have a problem at whitcomb creek. I think thistle creek ramp is sometimes unusable when water is too low. I've caught kokes in the lower part of both whitcomb creek and thistle creek, but i really like trolling for kokes in the quartzville arm because it's protected from the wind and waves that get nasty around 11 am. You definitely want quick access to any of the creek arms to escape the wind once it whips up. I got stranded on the island in the middle of the lake when fishing from my Nucanoe when the waves whipped up around 11:30 am one day. I couldn't escape the island for a couple of hours until after 2 pm when the wind died down.

P
pinstriper
I was debating all of the above (except GP) with my kayak, actually. But I sprained my ankle or something so that's out.

If you have an open seat on Saturday, I'm your Huckleberry. I'm actually heading to Detroit next weekend camping and specifically getting outfitted for Kokanee, so I'd love to go scout it.

E
espencer757
Hey, let's all grab our guns, go to the beach and shoot some clams!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

E
espencer757
Seriously, Kokanee!

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Ahhhh, thanks Barb! My spelling has been "Adjusted" ;)

troutdude
troutdude
MrGrumpFish said:

It's true. We call 'em Chinokanee's. In fact a few years ago, felllow OFFer ThrobbitShane nabbed a 10 pounder (with net help from TTFishon).

E
espencer757
They also have land lock Chinooks in green Peter. They are getting less in number, but they are in there.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Went to Green Peter and for the first time had to write down stats for the boat. Two of us went 27 for 35 with a mix of Kokanee, and Rainbow Trout. The Kokanee were all 6 and 7 inches. All C&R but 5 trout for dinner that were between 12 to 15 inches. Bottom line, even though the Kok's were tiny, we still caught a lot of fish and had an absolute BLAST in a HUGE lake!!!!

Cheers,

Chris

E
espencer757
Trolling, out jigging?

E
espencer757
How about trolling or jigging. How much I despise auto correct!

P
pinstriper
espencer757 said:
How about trolling or jigging. How much I despise auto correct!

So.....um, turn it off ??