Help me decide my future...

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Most of you already know I have been looking for a new employer the past six weeks. I wasn't really sure what I wanted to be if I ever grew up. So,I started out by not limiting myself to what categories I would look into. I have applied at the Lottery Board,as a cook for the Forestry Department,a cashier for Metro (dump),a janitor,apartment manager,bus driver and truck driver. Now,I have talked to hundreds of people who have been out of work for months and months so I know it is not a great time to be starting over. I'm no spring chick and not likely to fool anyone with all this silver hair. So I come to you,my fellow fishing folks and trusted friends for advice.
I was OFFered a job after training to become an over the road truck driver!! They will pay for my bus ticket to Salt Lake City,pay for me to stay for two weeks schooling (except food), pay me while I train on the road and then put me to work. After I get my own truck,provided by them,I will be on the road for two weeks and home for two days then repeat. I have checked them out online as much as I can and they are highly recommended. Have any of you had this kind of experience? How did it work out for you? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
By the way,I also received notice of a telephone interview for a job interviewing inmates for research. That one sounds very interesting,too. Thoughts?

brandon4455

brandon4455

Most of you already know I have been looking for a new employer the past six weeks. I wasn't really sure what I wanted to be if I ever grew up. So,I started out by not limiting myself to what categories I would look into. I have applied at the Lottery Board,as a cook for the Forestry Department,a cashier for Metro (dump),a janitor,apartment manager,bus driver and truck driver. Now,I have talked to hundreds of people who have been out of work for months and months so I know it is not a great time to be starting over. I'm no spring chick and not likely to fool anyone with all this silver hair. So I come to you,my fellow fishing folks and trusted friends for advice.
I was OFFered a job after training to become an over the road truck driver!! They will pay for my bus ticket to Salt Lake City,pay for me to stay for two weeks schooling (except food), pay me while I train on the road and then put me to work. After I get my own truck,provided by them,I will be on the road for two weeks and home for two days then repeat. I have checked them out online as much as I can and they are highly recommended. Have any of you had this kind of experience? How did it work out for you? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
By the way,I also received notice of a telephone interview for a job interviewing inmates for research. That one sounds very interesting,too. Thoughts?

would it happen to be prime inc? or england? my dad works for england and use to work for prime. prime has nice trucks and milenium building but they always screw you over and keep you on the road for longer then your suppose to be. idk how long you would being willing to be gone barb but it's tough. they kept me and dad on the road for a month. but they might offer reigonal which is a lot better.

brandon4455

brandon4455

but on the other hand, if you decide to take the truck driving job for whatever company it may be and then leave if you get tired of it you could get a more local truck driving job.

brandon

brandon4455

brandon4455

It's Central Refrigerated Trucking.

oh. well, ive heard decent things about them. but keep in mind they will screw you over a lot and keep you on the road for a long time.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Moving from a 2600 sq ft house to a two bedroom apartment to a 45sq ft moving cube might be a challenge...being gone and seeing this country and meeting people everyday AND maybe getting in some fishing wouldn't appeal to you?

B

beaverfan

My uncle works for Schneider and absolutely loves long haul trucking, I looked into a bit too a few years ago and they had pretty much the same offer that you got except instead of Utah they wanted to train me in Cali. If you don't mind being gone for long periods of time it's a great job! Me, I would think long and hard before I took a trucking job. The inmate job is the one I would be going after and if that fell through then I would consider trucking.

troutdude

troutdude

Nice "job" (hee hee), of keeping your options open. Don't forget to outfit your rig w/ a wireless laptop, so you can get your OFF "fix" now and then.

And if you take such a job, and have any questions about CB radios...I'm your dude. I've literally owned hundreds of makes and models (used to buy/sell/trade). The very best one is the Galaxy DX88HL. It has tons of channels both below and above the cb band; and it has great output plus FM mode. It way outperformed my 2 "next best" choices...Ranger RCI 2950 and President 2510/Lincoln.

I'll defer any other ideas/suggestions, to those who have OTR driving experience. Good luck.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Nice "job" (hee hee), of keeping your options open. Don't forget to outfit your rig w/ a wireless laptop, so you can get your OFF "fix" now and then.

And if you take such a job, and have any questions about CB radios...I'm your dude. I've literally owned hundreds of makes and models (used to buy/sell/trade). The very best one is the Galaxy DX88HL. It has tons of channels both below and above the cb band; and it has great output plus FM mode. It way outperformed my 2 "next best" choices...Ranger RCI 2950 and President 2510/Lincoln.

I'll defer any other ideas/suggestions, to those who have OTR driving experience. Good luck.

Hmmm,didn't think about a cb radio. I used to hate those things. My dad and Autofishers' dad were both truck drivers and had to have them on aALL the time! Used to make me crazy...guess I'll have to get used to it if they still use them. Thanks troutdude.

troutdude

troutdude

Most welcome. There are some neat tricks too, when hooking up a cb and antenna; to help "boost" your signal strength (and it's NOT all about a "BIG LINEAR AMPLIFIER" either). I'll be happy to help, if / when the time comes.

brandon4455

brandon4455

Moving from a 2600 sq ft house to a two bedroom apartment to a 45sq ft moving cube might be a challenge...being gone and seeing this country and meeting people everyday AND maybe getting in some fishing wouldn't appeal to you?

well,it is fun for a while but the traffic and jack ass drivers really get to you after a while and trucking slowly tears your body down. it can be very demanding. and as for fishing during breaks and at truck stops,there is usually not enough time to fish when you stop because you are ALMOST ALWAYS ona very tight schedule and the only time it would be possible if it is on the way home or if you happen to be sleeping during the day and driving at night. ive been in a truck over 20,000 miles and never got a chance to fish for 15 minutes. ive made two casts the whole time i was gone and that was at a stream in northern cali (trib to lake shasta,shasta lake w/e) ansd landed a beautiful little rainbow ..
btw for a CB they are usually pre mounted in the truck already before they give it to you most items you buy for the truck have to stay when you quit or get fired (which sucks..) .

btw beds in trucks are usually very comfortable.

G

GMR

I have a few CB's if you end up needing one.
ANd in my experience they WIRE the truck for CB's and have the entennas ect.. but you provide your own radio.
And youll want a Power converter as well.

brandon4455

brandon4455

Thank you Brandon. I still want to hear it all. The good,the bad,the fun,the ugly...keep it coming.

no problem barb,there are fun times to.. like for an exapmle not telling you the exact name so its a suprise for you but. carls junior has a different name in the medwest and the east coast. the truck stops have slot machines and other cool gadgets. a lot of cool food..i remember when i tried wisconsin cheese YUM! lol and the truck stop favore for drivers are called tornadoes.. but be careul weight gain is a real problem not a myth. i have a very fast metabolism and can't seem to gain weight. but after being on the road for a month i gained 15 lbs LOL. there are some many different cultures to see so many enviroments and beautiful areas. wildlife. and the streams just drive ya nuts. truck driving can be a challenge but its also very fun. it's what i consider doing if i don't get a job at odfw after college. but if you like the open road. all the food you can eat. a cb to mess with people on and yell BEAR! (cop in trucker language is either bear or smokey bear ) or just have conversation and let all your worries float away. yes indeed trucking is a great job for you. especially when you get paid good. take care,

brandon

Last edited:
Raincatcher

Raincatcher

I have a few CB's if you end up needing one.
ANd in my experience they WIRE the truck for CB's and have the entennas ect.. but you provide your own radio.
And youll want a Power converter as well.
GMR;
I just may take you up on your OFFer. I didn't even realize they were still in use since there are cell phones everywhere. I have a power converter,so I'm okay there.
no prblem barb,there are fun times to.. like for an exapmle not telling you the exact name so its a suprise for you but. carls junir has a different name inn the medwest and the east coast. the truck stops have slot machines and other cool gadgets. a lot of cool food..i remember when i tried wisconsin cheese YUM! lol and the truck stop favore for drivers are called tornadoes.. but be careul weight gain is a real problem not a myth. i have a very fast metabolism and can't seem to gain weight. but after being on the road for a month i gained 15 lbs LOL. there are some many different cultures to see so many enviroments and beautiful areas. wildlife. and the streams just drive ya nuts. truck driving can be a challenge but its also very fun. it's what i consider doing if i don't get a job at odfw after college. but if you like the open road. all the food you can eat. a cb to mess with people on and yell BEAR! (cop in trucker language is either bear or smokey bear ) or just have conversation and let all your worries float away. yes indeed trucking is a great job for you. especially when you get paid good. take care,

brandon

Thanks for the info and support. It's all kind of crazy in my noggin right now. I don't want to rush into a decision and I sure as heck don't need any extra weight. One of my dad's friends was so huge that even with the seat all the way back the steering wheel rubbed holes in all his shirts!! I really appreciate all the input.

brandon4455

brandon4455

GMR;
I just may take you up on your OFFer. I didn't even realize they were still in use since there are cell phones everywhere. I have a power converter,so I'm okay there.

Thanks for the info and support. It's all kind of crazy in my noggin right now. I don't want to rush into a decision and I sure as heck don't need any extra weight. One of my dad's friends was so huge that even with the seat all the way back the steering wheel rubbed holes in all his shirts!! I really appreciate all the input.
it's no problem. i know how hard it can be to find the right job. another up side to the job you are being offered is you don't have to tarp because you aren't running a flat bed and other people offload for you. but sometimes you can sit in a loading dock to get loaded/unloaded for 12 hours.
and sometimes not saying it is right to do this but over 75% of drivers do this. they tell little white lies on there log book because it is almost impossible to make a load ontime nowadays . just giving you a heads up on that. if you do take the job and can't understand trucker slang or are having trouble. just pm me. ill be able to help. ive been on the road with my dad since i was little.

G

GMR

it's no problem. i know how hard it can be to find the right job. another up side to the job you are being offered is you don't have to tarp because you aren't running a flat bed and other people offload for you. but sometimes you can sit in a loading dock to get loaded/unloaded for 12 hours.
and sometimes not saying it is right to do this but over 75% of drivers do this. they tell little white lies on there log book because it is almost impossible to make a load ontime nowadays . just giving you a heads up on that. if you do take the job and can't understand trucker slang or are having trouble. just pm me. ill be able to help. ive been on the road with my dad since i was little.

I ran for 2 years and only had trouble making a load on time once. (not counting SNOW or break downs)
Good companys give you the time you need or arange handoffs.
They have gotten a lot more strict about log book over the last few years.

kirkster

kirkster

I have no idea. And it's gettin dark fast.
I personally I've never drove for a living. Although Ive driven across the states several times. I would have to agree with brandon when he said that truckers are always on a tight schedule. Some of the drivers I have known say that you do see some great sites. But very seldom do they get a chance to to any thing but see them as you drive by. And as far as meeting interesting people. Its pretty much the truck stop crowd same ole thing just different state. But whatever you decide if you can get trained and aquire a CDL at no cost to you. There are several local jobs around Portland / Salem area. So good luck at whatever you decide.

PS Just listen to your conscience and follow your gut instinct. Because if ya dont you will always wonder.

Top Bottom