Help me choose a boat.

H
Halfthrive
I know I might be opening a can with this one but I need input from my peers. I want to buy a 19-20 foot aluminum boat in three to four months so I went looking online at aluminum boat manufacturers and they all say their the best or #1 or the leader in aluminum boats or whatever. I want to hear from the people that actually have and use one. I checked out Alumiweld, Hewes craft, Raider, Rouge, Duckworth, Thunderjet, etc.. Tell me what you got, how much you love it, and what you use it for. Pic's would be great. I just can't tell who's got the better boat.

G
grampa ron
boat choices

boat choices

Hi,

Something to consider. If you buy a locally built boat, you will be able to go back to them if there is any problems to fix or modifications you may decide you want. Like you have found out, they all claim to be the best. I would probably go with Koffler. Be sure to get an outboard motor, not inboard.

W
wormosa
Halfthrive said:
I know I might be opening a can with this one but I need input from my peers. I want to buy a 19-20 foot aluminum boat in three to four months so I went looking online at aluminum boat manufacturers and they all say their the best or #1 or the leader in aluminum boats or whatever. I want to hear from the people that actually have and use one. I checked out Alumiweld, Hewes craft, Raider, Rouge, Duckworth, Thunderjet, etc.. Tell me what you got, how much you love it, and what you use it for. Pic's would be great. I just can't tell who's got the better boat.
my neighbor has a 15 foot smokercraft with a 15 horse motor and lots of other goodies with it for 2950.00, let me know and i will give u his number if you like..

H
Halfthrive
Hey guy's thanks for the tip's on the smokercrafts but I really need something bigger. I'm sure all you smokercraft owner's have a fine boat that serves you well but my personal experiance with smoker's lead me to steer clear of that brand alltogether. I'm 6'5" and weigh 300+ my dad's bigger than me and I have huge friend's, a bigger boat is a must.:lol:

H
Halfthrive
grampa ron said:
Hi,

Something to consider. If you buy a locally built boat, you will be able to go back to them if there is any problems to fix or modifications you may decide you want. Like you have found out, they all claim to be the best. I would probably go with Koffler. Be sure to get an outboard motor, not inboard.

I love Koffler drift boats but does he make power boats? 20'?

O
osmosis
koffler does make sleds.

I have an Alumaweld and I have no problem with it running big boys around the river. My next boat will either be another Alumaweld or a Willie boat.

S
SNDSLGR
Mine is an older welded Crestliner, great boat but not what we are after here.

Next year I will be shopping for a 19-21' like yourself. I have spent time in many different boats and hands down a Willie is my favorite... they just feel different, better. I think the Alumawelds are tought to beat also and in fact I really like them too.

I also like the looks of the Fish-Rite boats but have not been in one on the water.

Last edited:
O
osmosis
I've been in a fish rite rivermaster model sled and it was a very nice stable platform. The only problem that I see with it is how dang heavy they are.

W
willierower
We had a 19ft Willie Predator forward helm it was a great fishing platform. They will build the boat you want and not a off the lot boat. Willie Boats will still be around long into the future and they have great before and after sale service.
Pete

H
halibuthitman
Thunderjet 21 with the fighting deck... but weight has been an issue in towing so you better have a good truck.

R
rainman
Why not go to a boat launch in the afternoon, talk to the guys, see what they have to say. Plus you can see just what boats are out there being used.

M
Mr. B
Boat

Boat

What will be your main use ?

River fishing / anchoring. Aluminum with a walk through windshield and semi open bow.

Ocean fishing / Aluminum or Glass no less than 21' deep sides prop boat.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
Hey i Think they all are prety good ,I guide out of a 23 foot allmaweld,
But Think when I buy a new boat it would be who ever would give me the best deal. best bang for my buck!!!

good luck.

O
Outdoor_Myers
one that can float and I can ride in to go fishing, thats the best kind of boat.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
Halfthrive said:
i dont think any one is better than the other . they do have different design qualities though . say you look at a open alumaweld , rouge , willy , and hews . pretty much the same boat , with slight differences . one may be a wider beam , but shorter sides . or just a slight difference in the hull thickness . or the interior laid out just a tad bit different . or on a windshield style , the splash well on a alumaweld or hews is small compared to a similar rouge boat . the workmanship is comparable on all , but the actual finish work may differ . look at lower (and upper) end comparable models and you will see . a hews sportsman compaired to alumawelds talon . about the same price , but the sportsman is finished out nicer . but there are differences in the specs . compare specs closely , and figure out what level of finish you desire . you may even want to check out RB boats , from springfield , now in beaver creekish area . but , i dont think one is really any better than the other , until you get into finish on the end product . myself , i am looking for a super v-ish type . really lookin towards willys or rbs model in 17ish range . time to step up from the ol alaskan ! !

Last edited:
B
Bullitt
Halfthrive - have you found a boat yet? Were you looking for new or used?

There is more to it than getting a good deal, service after the sale is one the most important things to consider if buying new. Also think about looking at a manufacturer that will build it the way you want it vs just getting a production boat off a lot.

E
eggs
I think Duckworths are the one of the best.. but then again my family and Ernie's family are friends..

B
Bullitt
I agree if it was a Duck built prior to 96 or 97. The Duckworth of today is nothing like what Ernie built unfortunately.

E
eggs
That sucks to hear.. I remember him taking me and my parents on a jetboat ride up the Grand Ronde from the mouth at the Snake.. wow crazy time!

B
Bullitt
The Duckworth name is owned by Reniassance Marine which owns the Weldcraft name, Columbia River Boats and now recently Northwest Jet.

If a guy could find a Heliarc Boat, that would be cool. This was Ernie's second boat company after he sold the first.

Sorry for the hijack :redface: ...I'm a jetboat junky.