Help me boat owners

C

capblack

I bought a 67 fiberform its 18 ft and its a trihull. It has a 160 mercruiser in it, and I need a kicker and mount for lake trolling. (kokanee and trout) and maybe salmon in the rivers. Anyway, I need info on a mount, what size of kicker I need and does it need to be short shaft or long shaft. any help will be appreciated. thanks, Brian

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
I don't know how heavy your boat is so can't say how many horse power you need but I would consider a four stroke. They are nice and quite and no blue smoke to deal with. The long or short shaft depends on the depth of your transom and where you put your kicker bracket. Good luck.

B

bd2cool

Hi,

A few years back I had a 18 foot Fiberform Tri-hull and used a 6 hp as a kicker-it work great for me on the local lakes.(Eugene-Oakridge)
I did not have any problems trolling with it.

Troutski

Troutski

Four Stroke...

Four Stroke...

If your pockets are deep enough go with a four stroke. Much better fuel economy and far less pollution, you won't regret it.

Chuck

C

capblack

bd2cool was your kicker a longshaft or short shaft?? seems like a long shaft would be better, to get the prop below the transom, and keep the tiller handle high enough to be comfortable. As far as 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, my pockets arent very deep, so I will take what I can get. Trying to trade a bowmount electric with foot controls for my kicker. Would like to keep it all just expensive enough to be dependable. Less time working on the boat means more time fishing. Thanks for all the info. Brian

B

bd2cool

I had a short shaft-I made a kicker mount out some marine ply that I had.
I used a extension handle so it was pretty comfortable.
My motor was mounted a littler below the transom.
The 6 hp that I had was a two stroke but cheap and dependable.
I think that it was a early 60 motor with very low hours on it.

I am now using a 30 lb Minn Kota. I get 7 hours of trolling if there is no wind,Heavy wind will knock it down to 4 hours.
For a 18 footer you might want to check Craiglist for a 45 to 55 lb Minn Kota.
I like it much better then a gas trolling motor.

E

easygoing4774

bd2cool im now using a 30 lb Minn Kota. paid $99 at bimart short shaft for 7 hrs of trolling what speed and what battery ??? i had to row back my first and only time out so far after 2 1/2 hours. my battery was a 24series only one know i have two batterys a 27series for my 30 lb Minn Kota is that enogh??
19ft arrow glass tri hull and it worked good but low run time i mounted it with a 2by4 off my ladder

B

bd2cool

Hi,

I am using a Costco 27DC group battery.
My old boat was a 14 foot run about-a lot smaller then your 19 footer.
I was trolling at .5 to 1.3 mph but I could hit 2 mph.

I just got a 15 foot open bow tri hull-hoping to hit the lake this weekend.
This will be the first time to use my 30 lb Minn Kota on a larger boat but I wouldn't be surprise to find I need to go to 40,45 lb motor.

M

mikeredding

bd2cool im now using a 30 lb Minn Kota. paid $99 at bimart short shaft for 7 hrs of trolling what speed and what battery ??? i had to row back my first and only time out so far after 2 1/2 hours. my battery was a 24series only one know i have two batterys a 27series for my 30 lb Minn Kota is that enogh??
19ft arrow glass tri hull and it worked good but low run time i mounted it with a 2by4 off my ladder

I have a 30lb Minn Kota also. I did the same thing as you. First time out with a grp 24 battery and it was dead. I just bought a MAXX 29 battery at Wal Mart for $79 and went out today. I used the trolling motor on 5 for a couple hours and got home and tested the battery. It was still at 12.46volts.

Last edited:
E

easygoing4774

im gooing to go excange it for a 29 tks
i just fixed my speedomiterand i havent had it in the water yet

H

Hawk

Early last summer i bought 2 Maxx 29 at Wallyworld fer my Mnnkota edge 50 bow mount foot control. So far i've only used 1 battery in a day with volts left over...........................:D:D

The MK 50 moves my 16' Alumacraft lunker(40hp) reel well.

C

capblack

switched gears

switched gears

O.K. I was looking for info on a kicker for my 67 fiberform, but ended up trading my 67 scout for a 75 fiberform with a newly rebuilt 120 omc, new interior, pole holders, canvas top, kicker plate. The only thing missing was the kicker. So I put up my 67 for trade, and ended up trading it for a 2007 honda 4 stroke 5 hp. Im set up now. Just need a downrigger or two. Wave if you see me around its probably the only blue boat with lightning down the side. Thanks to all for the help, Brian

Top Bottom