Help in Yamhill County

M
masmith
I live in Lafayette/McMinnville.

I have no boat. I fish with a spin rod. I usually use lures. I used to fish a lot 5 years ago, but stopped recently. I really want to know the best options for bank fishing, trout, kokanee, steelhead, salmon etc....

I want to go somewhere where I have a good chance of catching something so my wife will actually be interested enough to go with me on the weekends.

I want to find a place either in the coast range here, or in the valley in the yamhill county area. I know Hagg is the closest but I don't have a boat, and I know it is real crowded, I like fewer people if possible.

Any suggestions would be great.

A
adambomb
Look into the south yamhill river, they just started stocking it this year with trout. I believe its open from Mac, all the way to Grand Ronde. As for the salmon and steelhead, I would head west for coastal rivers like the wilson, trask, nestucca, siletz and so on. good luck gettin her to join you, I gave up long ago;)

M
masmith
Has anyone fished the south Yamhill, or near Sheridan? Any spots that are good. What setup would you suggest.

18406ej
18406ej
Masmith, I don't know a lot about fisheries in your area, but if you type "Yamhill" into the search engine at the top of the page, you will find 30 entries with what look like useful tidbits. Good luck,

M
masmith
I read all of the posts, I really need some specific spots to get me started, any help would be great.

Thanks!

M
masmith
bump...

B
beaverfan
Like previously posted your best bet is going to be one of the coastal streams. Once the fall rains come they should be full of fish. Many of them are followed closely by roads with numerous pull offs. As far as the Yamhill is concerned you can try any parks that may be on the river. I would imagine access would be tough, a lot of private property. As far as what to use, try a small dark or black rooster tail.

W
wormosa
well my wife and i have fished hagg many times this summer and we are so burnt out on hagg lake, the first few times we caught fish and the last 4 times nothing, what a waste of a trip... i like the original poster need help, my wife loves to catch, lately we only been fishing....any help would be great... thanks...

M
Mojito5000
I see quite a few people floating the Yamhill from Fort Hill down to Sheridan. I haven't fished the Yamhill yet, but I do hear of people grabbing a couple every now and then. If you do want to fish the Yamhill, I would suggest driving down to Fort Hill and finding Yamhill River Road, it's just opposite of the gas station. You can follow the river from there through Willamina. I have seen a couple good places to try, just never had enough time to drop a line.

I have been fishing Rock Creek lately. It's in Polk County, but some of the best stream fishing I have done.

There is also the Salmon River next to HWY 18 towards the coast. A little bit longer of a drive, but always worth the drive.

Hope this helps some!

Reactions: wormosa
W
wormosa
ty i appreciate it