Help in Monmouth area

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Sorry in advance, another newbie trolling for advice. My family and I just transplanted to the Portland metro area (from an awful state I would rather not mention), and our daughter is attending W.O.U. and living in the dorm. We visit her on occasion, and she has requested a "girls day with mom" for this weekend. Since we are currently a one car family, the boy (14) and I decided we would like to travel down with mom, and find a fishing hole to hang out for the day. Due to the 1 car situation, we will need to be within reasonable distance to the ladies (in Monmouth), should anything happen. Google maps and the ODFW regs have only resulted in limited success, because they do not identify public access shoreline very well. We will have our dog with us (on leash of course). As far as species go, we have yet to develop any prejudices, but trout in moving water would be ideal, given the looming season closure. Neither my son nor I have the endorsements to pursue the big ones (sturgeon, salmon, steelhead) the basic out of state license hurt enough. We are light spinning tackle guys, and I am learning to fly-fish as well. Hopefully my short story hasn't bored you, and are willing and able to provide some guidance.

Regardless of feedback, I will post results from this weekends journey sometime next week. Thank you for your time.

B
BaldTexan
I'm not familiar with that area, but if it's not too far a drive for you, the coastal tributaries should all have pretty good sea run cutthroat populations in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Check the regs to be sure, but I think Rickreall Creek is still open. It's only a few miles to the west, go through Monmouth, turn right at Burgerville (Hwy 99W) and follow the road to the little bridge in Rickreall. Otherwise, I would go after trout in the Willy there in the park in Independence. As long as you use small hooks there should be no questions.

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Thank you Barb,

Are you referring to Riverview Park off of C St, in Independence?

I have been through Rickreall when we went to Walmart (in Dallas I believe), and there was a bridge/creek near the tractor stores and the school bus yard, is that the area?

brandon4455
brandon4455
this time of year especially when the water is this low,the accessible spots on rickreall are pretty much void of trout. warm water temps the last few years have done a number on the fish,which have either left the creek for the willamette,or died off.

if the rain brings the creek up before it closes at the end of the month,fluvial cutthroat trout (migratory fish) will enter the creek and though not in super good numbers can be a hoot if you find some of them.

if you'd like some more info on local fisheries send me a pm and i can send you in a good direction.been fishing the area since i was 4 years old.

-Brandon

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
brandon4455 said:
this time of year especially when the water is this low,the accessible spots on rickreall are pretty much void of trout. warm water temps the last few years have done a number on the fish,which have either left the creek for the willamette,or died off.

if the rain brings the creek up before it closes at the end of the month,fluvial cutthroat trout (migratory fish) will enter the creek and though not in super good numbers can be a hoot if you find some of them.

if you'd like some more info on local fisheries send me a pm and i can send you in a good direction.been fishing the area since i was 4 years old.

-Brandon
Thanks, Brandon. I was hoping you would see this! :thumb:

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Making good on my promise, sort of. The boys half of the mission got scrubbed. Turned out to be a girls only excursion. Looks like any fishing trips will have to wait until after the first of the year, when I become a resident in the eyes of O.D.F.W. and stream trout season becomes 365 (rumor has it).

J
Joshuablue77
Help in Monmouth area

In Salem behind Walmart they're is Cascade pond on turner road, they have trout plus it's dog friendly

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Fishnbuck said:
Making good on my promise, sort of. The boys half of the mission got scrubbed. Turned out to be a girls only excursion. Looks like any fishing trips will have to wait until after the first of the year, when I become a resident in the eyes of O.D.F.W. and stream trout season becomes 365 (rumor has it).

bummer your fishing got cancelled, once you have been a resident of Oregon for 6 months, you are good to buy resident licenses and tags, calendar year actually doesn't have any effect on it...

as for trout season, not sure how many streams will change to year round, they are setting the stream trout opener to always be May 22 for most waters, I think the April trout opener mentioned below is for some lakes and maybe a few streams (my guess is the lakes will go to year round and streams are likely moving to the May 22 opener)...

----------------------
Some of the changes for 2016 include:

Eliminating of the April trout opener – most of these waters will now be open year-round.
Setting the May trout opener at May 22 each year, ensuring that trout fishing statewide would always be open Memorial Day weekend.
Removing the bag limit on non-native brown and brook trout in streams statewide, though some exceptions will still apply.
Simplifying language, including replacing the terms “adipose fin-clipped” and “non adipose fin-clipped” with “hatchery” and “wild.”
Removing bag limits for warmwater fish in the Columbia, John Day and Umpqua rivers.
---------------------
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2015/sept/090415.asp

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Thanks for reg's clarification, even if it is potentially bummer news. I moved here in the beginning of July, so my 6 month probation ends when licenses renew coincidentally, but thank you for looking out for me.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Fishnbuck said:
Thanks for reg's clarification, even if it is potentially bummer news. I moved here in the beginning of July, so my 6 month probation ends when licenses renew coincidentally, but thank you for looking out for me.

cool.