Help finding a nice high mountain hike in lake.

D
Dish-Dawg
I am looking for a nice hike in lake for me and my son's to camp and fish for a few days. I have fished a few of the hike in lakes in Washington but I would really like to find a lake in Oregon for our next trip, preferably in the Mt Hood or Clackamas river area. Any ideas.

troutdude
troutdude
If you don't mind going a little further south...I'd recommend Lake Ann & Marion Lake. They are on the same trail. About a 40 minute hike to Lake Ann, which has NICE brookies. Marion is another 20 minutes uphill, and has nice 'bows (and maybe Brookies too). It's a 3 mile hike, but mostly uphill. But, it's worth it!

E
eggs
Check the high lakes thread!

F
fishbait
troutdude said:
If you don't mind going a little further south...I'd recommend Lake Ann & Marion Lake. They are on the same trail. About a 40 minute hike to Lake Ann, which has NICE brookies. Marion is another 20 minutes uphill, and has nice 'bows (and maybe Brookies too). It's a 3 mile hike, but mostly uphill. But, it's worth it!

Marion Lake is nice. But they've got a burn ban in effect for that area. So if you don't mind camping without a campfire, it's a nice, easy hike.

M
Markcanby
Hideaway Lake isn't hike in but there is never anyone there. Its about 10 miles down a jeep trail. Its way up on top the mountain above Timothy Lake. It has some nice brook trout but you will need a way to get out on the water no bank fish really. There are 3 lakes you can hike to from there also.

M
Mattdm22
Was at Marion Lake about a month ago wasn't too bad. Lake Ann hardly had bank due to high water but Marion was off the hook. Fires are allowed a quarter-mile from both lakes. There is a shelter at Lake Ann too.

K
kornphlake
Markcanby said:
Hideaway Lake isn't hike in but there is never anyone there. Its about 10 miles down a jeep trail. Its way up on top the mountain above Timothy Lake. It has some nice brook trout but you will need a way to get out on the water no bank fish really. There are 3 lakes you can hike to from there also.

I've fished shellrock lake a couple times, it's about a 20 minute hike from the trailhead just past the hideaway campground, very peaceful lake with some decent bank access. Two times I've been there I've seen a few other people, the other time I couldn't drive to the trailhead through the snow and hiked about an hour cross country through knee deep snow only to find the lake was still frozen, I didn't see anybody except for one guy in a 4wd who warned me not to try and drive any farther up the road in my sedan. The road is in good shape for any vehicle as long as there's not snow, but it's a fairly long drive, I recall it taking about 1.5 hours after driving through estacada, might be a little quicker if you drive in from hwy 26.

I've hiked to a beautiful little lake on fish creek mountain called high lake, the trail is about 3 miles straight up and last time I hiked it I had trouble keeping on the trail because it was so poorly maintained. I haven't fished the lake, but there was at least one fish I saw. I was in pretty good shape when I hiked to the lake and it kicked my butt, it's a tough hike. Given the difficulty of the hike and obscurity of the trail, I can't imagine the lake sees more than a couple hooks a year if that. Send me a PM if you want some directions on how to get to the trail and some tips on how to follow it.

C
chrishophoto
Dish-Dawg said:
I am looking for a nice hike in lake for me and my son's to camp and fish for a few days. I have fished a few of the hike in lakes in Washington but I would really like to find a lake in Oregon for our next trip, preferably in the Mt Hood or Clackamas river area. Any ideas.

There are a few lakes around Hood, but if you go just a little farther south, Ollalie has a lot more to offer. I think that the Olallie Wilderness probably one the best places in the state if you aren't dependant on a motorboat for your thrills (they aren't allowed up there, and that is just fine with me). The area is dotted with tons of great little fishing lakes! There is still quite a bit of snow around there right now, but I was up there about a week ago, and you can get as far as Ollalie lake right now by car, and hike from there. I'm leaving for this area tomorrow and will be camping somewhere in the thick of it for the next week. If you haven't been in this area before, you should check it out!

Last edited by a moderator: