Help and advice

B
bassman503
I used to fish for steelhead a few years back, I float fished using jigs with my cousin. It's been awhile and I'm not sure what method is hot right now and where the best places are to guarantee fish. I used to fish Tanner creek and Herman creek and had good results. When is the best time to target steelhead? I have no steelhead gear so I'm not sure if it is worth spending money on the stuff needed. I have an idea of what to buy if i am going to start fishing for steelies but that is not my decision. My parents are the one who will be paying. Any advice or help will be considered! Thanks

troutdude
troutdude
Do you have a 7', or longer, medium action spinning rod for trout? If so, I see no reason that it wouldn't work to catch some summer steelies. And if that rod n' reel has at least 8 pound test line...you're all set. Then, all you would need to buy would be the tackle and bait--which would NOT be a huge investment at all.

Float and jigs is an effective method; as is drifting a worm w/ corkie (or puffball). Spinners also work well.

I'll defer the rest, to the more experienced chaps.

E
eggs
You can pick up a 7' 6-12lb ugly stick and okuma reel for around 50 bucks total at bi-mart.. spool it with 8lbs line, a couple bucks in lead/hooks/swivles/yarn and you are set.. promise to mow the lawn all summer and wash the car a couple times!

B
bassman503
Thanks. I have the rod and reel all down lol, just need the tackle and bait. Float fishing and drift fishing are my two options, that plunking stuff is not my type of fishing at all. My cousin hand tied his jigs and they worked great, don't know if he still fishes or not but I would like to get some of his jigs! Do you have a type of jig that you like best?

B
bassman503
Hahah, I have an Okuma rod that is about that size and i bought it at Bi-mart too! The only problem is that my parents need sooo much convincing to change to something new such as steelhead fishing. Thanks for your advice.

E
eggs
for summer fishing i would stick to darker colors.. olive/black/dark red/purple/dark blue are all good choices.. stay small with your jigs/yarn no need for a big bushy bright pink and white winter steelhead jig..

B
bassman503
Alright, I seem to like purple/ black best. What river or creek is hot right now?

S
Snagger
Everything is hot right now!

B
bassman503
The sandy? Clack?

E
eggs
clack is good.. sandy is sloooooow..

S
Snagger
bassman503 said:
The sandy? Clack?

Both are. Bobber and shrimp or eggs.

B
bassman503
What about tanner and herman?Anyone try them? sorry for asking about soo many different locations, if i am to go fishing, i want to see some action which will convince my parents into taking me regularly

N
n8r1
bassman503 said:
and where the best places are to guarantee fish.

When you find the place that you are guaranteed to catch a fish could you let me know? ;)

Last edited:
B
bassman503
Yeah I will. It'll be awhile until i get to go fish. Where are good spots to fish on the sandy?Is mciver good right now?

S
Snagger
Sent PM.