Help a newbie catch his first salmon!

M
MonsterRiverBass.com
Hi Guys,

What a great forum. I jus relocated here from Missouri for a job and must say, what a beautiful place to live!

I am an avid bass fisherman and have started looking into the Steelhead/Salmon stuff and am overwhelmed with excitement to get more into it. I went to the Wilson this weekend after finally having a great guy at Cabelas help me get set up with some gear for Salmon and drifted some bobbers from the bank.

I have a 12 ft Jon Boat with a 30lb thrust trolling motor. I guess my main question is where can I put this Jon Boat in and have a short safe float down to another pickup where I can have a transport car parked.

I fish with my girlfriend a lot so I want to make sure the float is fairly easy.

I live in Portland and am willing to drive anywhere on the coast for weekend fishing!

Any info helps. Thanks guys.

O
OnTheDrop
There he is,

Before I got sick the other day I was going to say do Donaldsons to Sollie Smith which is a short, easy float even in low water. Can be very tough when the flows are like they are now though. ( Fishing wise )

If you can break away from work Wed/Thurs I can get us on some fish in tidewater lofting the bobbers. Unfortunately those are the only days I can break away this week. Oh yeah, if you just take one rig down there is several shuttles that will have your rig waiting at your destination for you for a modest fee.

Good seeing ya on the forum. Cheers,

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome aboard! Just wanted to let you know, you are welcome to put your website info in your signature. Also, we have a thread for folks to list their blog sites if that is what it is. Again, welcome!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
one other thing that lots of drifters and kayaks do when fishing in the tidewater of a river, launch and troll with the incoming tide up and through slack tide, then turn and troll with the outgoing back to your original launch...we even use this lots in our PB to go fishing while using almost no gas...last 2 hours of incoming, first 2 of outgoing, great 4 hour outing! cheers, roger

T
troutmasta
Any friend of Steelmonkiller is a friend of Mine!

T-mook bay is still good. I dont have a boat but my buddy got 6 on Sat.

O
OnTheDrop
troutmasta said:
Any friend of Steelmonkiller is a friend of Mine!

T-mook bay is still good. I dont have a boat but my buddy got 6 on Sat.

It's shaping up to be a great year. This next rain will push in more fish than the last. It's going to be awesome into December. Still gotta get out this Fall Jeff.. Unfortunately I work most Fridays and Saturdays.

D
DrTheopolis
With your boat/motor setup, you have lots of options. In the Tillamook area, you could put in at Sollie Smith, 5th Street in Tilly, 101 Ramp on the Trask, 101 Ramp on the Kilchis, and several others. If, like Roger said, you go with the tide, you can use the same ramp. Depending on the tide swing and river level, you might be able to go up or downstream with no worries.

M
MonsterRiverBass.com
Thanks for the replies and info guys. I really appreciate it. I am still searching for my first so I will keep you guys updated!

M
MonsterRiverBass.com
Thanks,

I can't seem to find how to edit the signature and where to I post my blog?

M
MonsterRiverBass.com
Raincatcher said:
Welcome aboard! Just wanted to let you know, you are welcome to put your website info in your signature. Also, we have a thread for folks to list their blog sites if that is what it is. Again, welcome!

Please advise where to go for these two things. Thanks

E
eugene1
For your sig, click on "settings" on the top right of the page. Then click "Edit Signature" which is on the left hand side of the page. Go and enter in your text and you're done, just hit "Save Signature". Not sure OFF has blogging turned on though. You could just post lots of threads with chrome though...

Best,

MonsterRiverBass.com said:
Thanks,

I can't seem to find how to edit the signature and where to I post my blog?

B
bagold53
I hooked my first salmon at Sollie Smith Boat ramp. not sure if they will still be there after the rain we got last night.