Help a new saltwater kayak angler stay safe on the water and maybe catch a fish

FishinSquatch

I have a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 that I've been itching to take out on the ocean and try to hook up with some rockfish or lingcod. I am totally new to fishing saltwater on the Oregon coast and am looking for safety info/gear that I need to know or get before I go. Also looking for general advice for lingcod and rockfish fishing techniques and good places to launch my kayak from. I'd like to start in the Brookings or Gold Beach area cause that's whats closest to me. Any info would be much appreciated!

rogerdodger

Most Featured
my advice is head over to NWKA forum, in addition to safety equipment and info, you will also get tips on monitoring ocean conditions to identify "go" days...

I am 'rogerdodger' over there also and take my ocean kayak outings from Sunset Bay, over the Siuslaw river bar, and out of Depot bay. Pepper and I ride a 2019 Hobie Outback.

C_Run

NWKA is a great resource and you might find some local guys to go with. As far as what methods for bottom fish, there are many types of jigs to use. I'd say get a variety and start jigging. My wife and I also have T-13's and have gone in the ocean on the south coast but always with others. Good luck.

pinstriper

Kayaks have an advantage over powerboaters in that there are frequently "stealth" launch sites at the side of the road, so boat ramp closures don't affect you. Fishing can be open, but without a ramp you are hosed.

I dunno the southern coast at all, but doubtless there are places.

FishinSquatch

Kayaks have an advantage over powerboaters in that there are frequently "stealth" launch sites at the side of the road, so boat ramp closures don't affect you. Fishing can be open, but without a ramp you are hosed.

I dunno the southern coast at all, but doubtless there are places.
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to do some poking around when I head on over to the coast. Happy to know that despite the closures i'll be able to still have some access!