Hello you chubby beautiful lil girl you!

F
Finneus Polebender
Well apparently the bass are as tired of waiting on spring as I am ! went out to check temps at the big pond , and much to my dislike the temp has actually dropped from 50.9 down to 48.4 deg. The weather and the wind were cooperating so I decided to make atleast one trip around the pond with the finder to see if the fish were still suspended in the deeper water or what. cruised about a quarter of the pond and was suprised to not see many on the finder. then there was a bump whipped her back and nothin pitched her back 2-3 times with no luck so I just kept movin on . About an hour in still not seeing many fish when thar she be my line started swimming towards me , knew imediatly what was up and still managed to blow the hook set fish hung on right to the boat and spit out the bait of confidence right in front of me . At least it was fish on for a few seconds I thought better than the last five trips so I felt encouraged rather than dissapointed . Rounded the 3/4 mark then I got my next shot ,once again felt the line draw tight as it started moving down the shorline . Second time was a charm and I put the hook to this fat lil girl who was hiding by a log right off shore ! well kids they are movin into the shallows lookin to feed and full of eggs ! That is why I am not seeing them off shore like before .This is great news for the invitational as I am feeling confident that the first real warm spell we get will have the fishin on fire ! will keep on the conditions and hope in just a week or so to set a date ! till then here are a few pics and cmon mr sunshine we are almost there! P2250343.jpgP2250336.jpgP2250337.jpg

Reactions: metalfisher76
T
Throbbit _Shane
nice fish!!! today was warm down here... still is. lookin forward to the bassin up there. gotta take a break from steelheadin some time :D :D

J
jayfatal
Hey that is a nice one! I knew they were in there. Good looking fish FP. Let's get together soon and catch some hawgs. I'm off tuesdays and wednesdays now, so let me know if you are around at all mid week. Take care!

jay

T
tomriker
bout time! still using the bait of confidence to catch em? no luck on the craw? caught ours tonight with the ol' jig, marked a bunch but it was blowing and then started pouring down rain

C
colbypearson
I checked the forecast for this week it says:

"the forecast says sunny with a good chance of bass moving up the weekends forecast says partly cloudy with patches of im gonna stick a pig"

weathers turning here for the better, go time! Its on now let the bass slugfest begin mid week were lookin at 70's here

Reactions: metalfisher76
brandon4455
brandon4455
nice one fp! thats a healthy looking fish

F
Finneus Polebender
Thanks all and too funny there CP no luck on the craw TR hung it up twice which had me goin ,and you bet jay will have to get you out after work on those days. 70 you lucky dogs ! She picked it up less than 2ft from the shore Brandon!

C
colbypearson
Finneus Polebender said:
Thanks all and too funny there CP no luck on the craw TR hung it up twice which had me goin ,and you bet jay will have to get you out after work on those days. 70 you lucky dogs ! She picked it up less than 2ft from the shore Brandon!

i think if its warmish up there the get together will be great in two weeks or so

F
Finneus Polebender
colbypearson said:
i think if its warmish up there the get together will be great in two weeks or so

You read my mind am thinking weekend after next just need a 10 day that says somethin other than cloudy and 55 deg

C
colbypearson
Finneus Polebender said:
You read my mind am thinking weekend after next just need a 10 day that says somethin other than cloudy and 55 deg

thats exactly what i said to shane an hour ago weekend after next would be a good time

F
Finneus Polebender
Will make sure TR is good and look to set it then!

N
nwkiller
nice work FP

T
TTFishon
Nice fish!!! I wonder if they're movin in the other two ponds yet?

O
OnTheFly
Now that I've found the thread with all the bass heads on it I'd to ask a bass question and I honestly don't know this. I was wondering why in every picture of someone holding up a bass they are always held tight by the lip. Is it to avoid sharp needle like fin spikes also found on ocean fish?:think: Obviously I've never caught one before.

C
colbypearson
P
OnTheFly said:
Now that I've found the thread with all the bass heads on it I'd to ask a bass question and I honestly don't know this. I was wondering why in every picture of someone holding up a bass they are always held tight by the lip. Is it to avoid sharp needle like fin spikes also found on ocean fish?:think: Obviously I've never caught one before.
most convenient spot IMO with big bass you want to support theyre body like in my Avatar, to prevent organ damage and a broken jaw

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
It also help immobilize the fish so you can get your hook out it's mouth. They don't wiggle a lot when held by the lower lip. With big fish, like Colby said - support the body w/ your other hand, or keep them in the water. Smaller (3lb or less) fish can safely be suspended by their jaw, if held vertically. Don't hold them by the jaw horizontally for long, and don't do it at all with bigger fish. You can break their jaw, and that's basically a death sentence for said fish.

want to know a secret OTF? Basses will eat trout flies! But keep it a secret, cuz, we wouldn't want all the trout purists sneaking off and catching bass when the trouting is slow ;) They seriously will eat nymphs and dries and streamers all day long. Kind of like how we humans will snack on skittles or M&M's or popcorn - bass will eat little insects between real meals. My best dry-fly bass so far isn't huge - it was about a pound - but they're still a kick on a 5wt or lighter flyrod :)

T
tomriker
wouldn't you need a pretty big fly to catch a big one? those hooks seem so small! tie a fly with a 3/0 hook lol then you'd be doin it right :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
Finneus Polebender said:
Thanks all and too funny there CP no luck on the craw TR hung it up twice which had me goin ,and you bet jay will have to get you out after work on those days. 70 you lucky dogs ! She picked it up less than 2ft from the shore Brandon![/QUOTEshe took it that close to the shore? man.. thats crazy stuff. ill have to grab some before i come down if i can.

F
Finneus Polebender
brandon4455 said:
Finneus Polebender said:
Thanks all and too funny there CP no luck on the craw TR hung it up twice which had me goin ,and you bet jay will have to get you out after work on those days. 70 you lucky dogs ! She picked it up less than 2ft from the shore Brandon![/QUOTEshe took it that close to the shore? man.. thats crazy stuff. ill have to grab some before i come down if i can.

Many fish right over them all day not realizing they are right at thier feet . They do see and feel vibration though so many times by the time a bank angler gets there the prize has already swam off.

O
OnTheFly
Sooooo........the lip grip calms the fish down?