Hello my name is Jim

R
riverpup10
I JUST MOVED UP HERE FROM LAKE HAVASU CITY AZ. I HAVE NEVER FISHED RIVERS BEFORE. ANY POINTERS. :lol:

M
metalfisher76
Quit yellin at me jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!welcome aboard

B
beaverfan
HELLO, WELCOME TO THE SITE! WHY ARE WE YELLING? There are hundreds of useful threads on the Clackamas river. Do some reading and I'm sure a lot of your questions will be answered.

troutdude
troutdude
Our fellow OFF'ers are referring to your use of ALL CAPS. The technical term is "Flaming". If you type in all caps...peeps will think you are ticked "off" and yelling at them. So, it's much better to use mixed case caps like you see in our replies.

There are other rivers in your neighborhood too, like the Sandy for example. And there's the Columbia of course (and all that Sauvie Island "off"ers). Plus, the Willy (Willamette).

Buy yourself a copy of "Fishing in Oregon", by Casali & Diness. The 10th Edition is available in most Sporting Good departments and shops.

And you can search the archives on here as well, for TONS more information.

Welcome to Oregon. We hope you enjoy it here as much as we do!

H
Hawk
I've caught Stripers before in Lake Havasu & Colorado River...:lol::lol::lol:

Welcome to the Family.

Hope you catch some bigg'un lunkers Bro.
:D:D:D
:cool::cool:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hi Jim. Welcome to the forum! We might need a little more specific question to give you the right information. What type of fishing gear do you have? Are you interested in steelhead,chinook,bass,trout or another species? Do you own a boat? Are you a fly fisherman? We have tons of info to share if we know what you need help with.

R
riverpup10
I am sorry. I am not trying to yell I forget about the caps button. thank you for welcomeing me to your guys neck of the woods.

R
riverpup10
Thank you

troutdude
troutdude
riverpup10 said:
I am sorry. I am not trying to yell I forget about the caps button. thank you for welcomeing me to your guys neck of the woods.

Don't worry, we won't hold it against you. ;);):cool::cool:

B
beaverfan
So where did you move to and what species are you interested in?

R
riverpup10
Oregon City and i am interested in salmon and steelhead summer.

J
jathrtn
Steelies!

Steelies!

riverpup10 said:
Oregon City and i am interested in salmon and steelhead summer.

Well jim my name is jeff, and again welcome. for steel head fishing i like to use a 9' 6" rod. when you use a longer rod it just gives you more leverage for fighting a bigger fish, which in turn enables you to use lighter tackle to catch that fish. I use two setups, one setup is for float fishing and the other i use for drift fishing, so basically i take two rods when i go so i dont have to repetidly tie knots, unless i break a leader. I like to use braided line on my spoos because the castability of the line is phenominal. when I drift fish i usually tie in about 6 ft of 12lb mono to my braid with a uni-uni knot. From there i use a slider and a swivel, then i use about 3 ft of leader of 10 lb test. i tie an egg loop on every hook i use, i think it gives the hook a good orientation for a solidn hook set. I also use a corky (1 size up from the smallest) and ties some yarn on the bait loop. as far as baits go i use skein eggs, sand shrinp, or raw prawms that you can buy at any super mrkt.

For float fishing i use a inline bobber and inline weight setup with a bobber stopper. I use about 30" of leader, and a jig. when i use baits for float fishing i rig my hooks identical to when i drift fish, without the corky. i use the same baits, but sometimes i will use a small sptil shot clost to the hook to keep your bait down. From the experience that have has with salmon and steel head is that egss and sandshrinp are pretty much universal. I have also hade good luck with prawns.

hopefully this will help you out, and may b catch some fish!:cool: Good luck!