Hellgrammites

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive heard a lot of tales and seen a lot of videos over the past month of people landing a lot of cutthroat trout and steelhead on these ugly little bugs, so i started wondering how do i get my hands on these things? anyone know where i could get some hellgrammites near me? any input on these bugs is appriciated id like to know more about them (where they live, why trout love em)id like to try em lake fishing for cutthroat outside town next year see if they will outfish my nightcrawlers,spoons and spinners thanks

brandon

Last edited by a moderator:
H
halibuthitman
- Bait is Dead -

H
halibuthitman
but if you insist on insulting a wild trout by using bait... roll over the large rocks near grassy areas at the edge of rivers or lakes, as a wee feller I used to catch them along roadsides where the rock went all the way down into the water.. logs are good too, they are pretty fast so be ready... or they mmight just cling to the rock and stay put.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks brad

B
bigsteel
just tie up a hellgrammite pattern?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
just tie up a hellgrammite pattern?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

i was looking at those on google images and they looked almost like a griffith's gnat well,, some of em did but if i get into tying as well ill be sure to add them to my list

brandon4455
brandon4455
idk why a trout would bite mone of those things,, seems like they would bite back they are nasty looking little buggers, i just need somthing thats a go-to for my lake cutthroat trips next year, i can't wait to hook those on a fly,, 7-24inchers i can feel a sore arm from hookin fish all day already ha

B
bigsteel
maybe onthefly will share his olive crystal bugger pattern with you,jim is an excellent stillwater flyfisherman

brandon4455
brandon4455
that would be cool, ive heard jim is a master with the crystal bugger they are cool lookin little flies to. and spekaing of lake fishing for cutthroat ,, how far of a hike or bike ride will you do for big cutthroat on a nice lake plus 7 miles of unfished creek? with nobody else around at all just us, the water and all the cutthroat you can handle? i want to have a fly fishing outing with the guys, the reason i aska bout a hike is no motor vehicles are aloud on the road until the month of novemmber and close at the end of the same month, but you ncan bike or hike in all year long

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
brandon4455 said:
ive heard a lot of tales and seen a lot of videos over the past month of people landing a lot of cutthroat trout and steelhead on these ugly little bugs, so i started wondering how do i get my hands on these things? anyone know where i could get some hellgrammites near me? any input on these bugs is appriciated id like to know more about them (where they live, why trout love em)id like to try em lake fishing for cutthroat outside town next year see if they will outfish my nightcrawlers,spoons and spinners thanks

i remember seeing some plastic hellgrammites like legit ones at sportsmans i forget who makes them but i will look them up they looked really promising and for what you are looking for definitely fit the part i can't remember if this one but theyre like this

TwisterMite - Fishing Lure | Mister Twister

would those work?

brandon4455
brandon4455
they could possibly, but there is a growing bass poulation in this lake so it hink they would hit it before the cutthroat would id have a better chance witha fly pattern then a soft plastic, but i think i might look into a soft plastic one, for the bass anyways thanks colby

B
bigsteel
i would walk anywhere for trout fishing,,

T
troutramp
Helggies rock some of my favorite fishing is with helgrammite patterns they are the larva stage of the dobbins fly, but i have caught them the size of my ring finger on certain creeks. I have caught many small mouth bass on a pattern i tie a rubber legged simi seal leach with a red bead at the head.

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
i would walk anywhere for trout fishing,,

ill pm ya with some more info,,