Helgramite Nymph w/ extended abdomen

F

FishFinger

Extended bead body helgramite.

I didn't like the first two prototypes. They were too much like the chain flies I had seen. The abdomens flopped around too easily IMO.

I added a length of rubber tendon through the beads. The action was two fold 1) the elastic acts like a snub line and draws the beads together. 2) It gives the abdomen a real buggy action when it snaps back into position. It will wiggle under the influence of the current much like actual helgramites.

DSCN1953.jpg

DSCN1956.jpg

DSCN1954.jpg

Not too sure I'll stick to the red bead gig, mostly it was to address the body taper thing and I lacked the proper sized black bead at the time I made this.

DSCN1958.jpg

DSCN1957.jpg

brandon4455

brandon4455

thats an awesome fly :clap: :clap:

O

OnTheFly

That's a sick fly! What's the wing case made out of?

J

joesnuffy

that fly is bad ass. I really like the look of the red bead (i don't know how the fish will feel about it). what are the black beads made out of?

H

halibuthitman

beside the fact that its sic looking, very well done, a work of art and I would'nt mind fishing it... if you were looking for any other kinds of comments or suggestions... I think the taper on the body is too extreme and the pincher, or whatever that is on a helgy is about a 3rd too long, and the ones on the head give it more of a hybrid stone fly look,... the body on a helgramite is largest at the tail end, shaped like an almond, with the head end of the creature being the smallest end..... but I think you may have one heck of a steelhead nymph on your hands.. its like a copper john... only better!

M

meluvtrout

Dan both of these flies are bad azz!

B

bigsteel

FishFinger,excellent tying skills,those look a lot alike a senyo wiggle stone,,but with your own twist..very nice work sir.

O

OnTheFly

Jim, Do you keep these in jars so you can compare them when you are tying?
lol. No but I have met people who have collected aquatic bugs and abserved their movements in an aquarium. I found the picture on a web site.:)

F

FishFinger

Thanks for the replies, I am fishing for all critiques and opinions.
Thanks for the graphic Jim. I have to work on the correct taper, it does look like a stonefly nymph. The over all shape is wrong for a Dobson fly. the bigots are too big too.

This is the first time my spinner materials merged with the fly tying stuff.

The materials are pretty basic presently;

Kevlar thread & plastic beads ranging from 3mm to 5mm and a length of rubber banding.
Daiicha 1120 - 8
12 wraps of lead
Black tread 8/0
Scud back 1/4"
Grizzly hackle (webbed)
Black chenille
Black goose bigots

I'd like to add some peacock hurl between the beads but I haven't broke through that barrier just yet.

I got the beads from BC Angling post, I cleaned him out of #3 black beads. I'm thinking I might go w/ 3mm red for the hemorid effect.

Last edited:
C

CFishRun

To really get it realistic tie in some vice grips and then put your finger in between them and squeeze it as tight as possible, because that is exactly what the bite from one of these feels like. Last time I fished with them my thumb started bleeding and I also learned the Two-step-shallow-crick dance. Hurts like hell.

If you get this fly dialed in you could sell them up and down the Umpqua and many other Smallmouth streams at an outrageous price, because Smallies absolutely love them.

Last edited:
S

skunk

Nice, you are onto something there. I may have to tie and try! Thanks

B

bigsteel

Thanks for the replies, I am definably fishing for critiques and opinions.
Thanks for the graphic Jim. I have to work on the correct taper, it does look like a stonefly nymph. The over all shape is wrong for a Dobson fly. the bigots are too big too.

This is the first time my spinner materials merged with the fly tying stuff.

The materials are pretty basic presently;

Kevlar thread & plastic beads ranging from 3mm to 5mm and a length of rubber banding.
Daiicha 1120 - 8
12 wraps of lead
Black tread 8/0
Scud back 1/4"
Grizzly hackle (webbed)
Black chenille
Black goose bigots

I'd like to add some peacock hurl between the beads but I haven't broke through that barrier just yet.

I got the beads from BC Angling post, I cleaned him out of #3 black beads. I'm thinking I might go w/ 3mm red for the hemorid effect.

i heard peacock herl,DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

brandon4455

brandon4455

:lol: dave your funny, and isn't peackock herl the stuff you use for a prince nymph?? that would look great sticing out of the sides of that helgramite.

F

FishFinger

First off I want to thank everyone for their input, it really helped my refinement momentum.

This time around I tried to incorporate most of the points raised.

Body Taper.... I didn't quite get almond, but a bit closer,

DSCN1975.jpg

DSCN1972.jpg

I ran out of black beads so I "colored" red ones black; then touched them accidentally....

I did manage to get some ostrich hurls between the beads, but I may have to rethink the process, it was daunting.

DSCN1976.jpg

I had a little time but not the right materials so I came up with this.

DSCN1967.jpg

Turns out, I kinda like it in red. If i hadn't lost the hurl between the last two beads I'd almost be proud of it .

I dubbed out the thorax this time, think I'm gonna dub the beads next too. Shortened the bigots and added some peacock hurl for that extra something, something

DSCN1968.jpg

DSCN1969.jpg

I'm not done..lol

F

Fishtopher

Hey I just made a jig that looks juuuuuuust like that and put it into production.....want to buy some? All hooks made out of gold with UV coating...
(a little insider...sorry couldnt resist)

Sweet lookin' flys Dan! I like the way those red beads look with the fingerprint patterns! They looked marbled at first glance!

Top Bottom