Heading to the McKenzie 5/3/11-5/4/11

J
jpjule
I'm heading down to the McKenzie to try to get into some trout 5/3-5/4. I have never fished it so it will be an exploratory/recon trip. I can't wait any longer to get into some trout and my usual waters are closed for another month. Anyone in the area want to meet up and go after some fish. Fishing with a local or someone who has fished the river a bit would be terrific. I have read all of the old posts concerning the river so I have some ideas of what to expect. Hit me up with a message if you are interested in fishing or if you have any pointers or advice.

J
jpjule
Well, I just took a look at the flowcharts for the McKenzie at westfly and it looks to be really high. May have to change my plans. Any locals have a report on how the river is looking?

J
JeannaJigs
Had a look at it yesterday, it's a little high but it's running clear.

J
jpjule
Thanks Jeanna. Running clear is what I was hoping to hear. I'm hitting the road as soon as I get off of work in the AM.

R
rippin fish lips
Fished it yesterday, running a lil high and fast, clear water, water does look good. managed 3 trout and 2 shook off. If ur casting hardware slow with as much action as u can get is your best bet, slow and deep.

Last edited:
J
jpjule
Enjoyed a couple of great days down on the McKenzie. Tuesday afternoon I met up with steelyfishn and did about a 7 hr float in his drift boat. I didn't want to foul hook my host, so I stuck to fishing little spinners and spoons on my ultralight and put the fly rod away. We got a good number of stocked rainbow to the boat. Nothing huge. We did land a few nice native cutthroats. Missed a bunch of fish and long released a few more. All in all it was a good day on the water. Big ups to steelyfishn for taking me (a stranger) out. I don't know who's in charge of the reputation bars here, but steelyfishn needs his pumped up. On Wednesday I got out early with the fly rod and hit some spots off of 126 and also off of deer horn rd. Got a few fish (stockers) dead drifting nymphs behind the golf course. No action on dry flies. There were a ton of bugs in the water, on the water and in the air. I only saw maybe 4 fish rise over the two days I spent on the water. The river was fast and clear and a bit high but fishable. I look forward to heading back down soon to explore a bit higher up river. Thanks again steelyfishn for the float.

Last edited: