Heading to Bend, need info

T
the_intimidator03
Well I got called out to Bend for a 3 day job. I figure I will take a couple days to fish the area while im out there. I do have gear for bass and trout. I plan on bringing a spinning rod for trout, a bass rod, and my 3wt and 6 wt fly rods as well as my pontoon boat. I would like to try hosmer lake for atlantics, But I only have floating lines. I also thought there was a 2nd lake with atlantic salmon in the area as well. Was hoping for some other fishing options that you fine folks here at OFF would suggest?

S
sapo
You can try lakes but that's not my favorite type of fishing, so if I were you I would try the rivers..fly fish the rivers for trout. Blue colored prince nymphs on the upper deschutes are picking up some very big brooks.
The Fall river produced 40 fish in one day for one of my friends, prince nymphs and dry flies.
Although the salmon fly hatch has ended, the Deschutes at Maupin is doing well right now.
The Metolius is producing fish too.

Don't bother with lakes, LOL unless you want bass

troutdude
troutdude
East Lake, has atlantic salmon...and has also pumped out one, or two, state record browns over the years. The atlantic's are much smaller, than you'll find at Hosmer. Plus I think that, you can keep atlantic's from East too. (double check the regs)

But if I was gonna fish over there...I'd go to Lava Lake, or Crane.

If it's ditch pickles that you want to chase; I'd suggest Ochoco.

T
the_intimidator03
Thanks for the Input, I have decided to hit Hosmer lake and Crane Prarie Reservoir and possibly Crecent lake during my trip out there. I am not too worried about keeping an atlantic just want to catch one. Taking highway 126 out to bend through sisters. then coming back cascade lakes hwy to 58. Should round out the trip nicely :)

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. I've done that loop, a few times. You'll like it!

Good luck, and tight lines.

T
the_intimidator03
I am not too terribly worried about keeping an atlantic... just want to catch one. If I find any browns or nice rainbows i may keep a couple

S
Steelheader3875
I was able to spend time at East Lake for an afternoon a couple weeks back. I was using terminal gear with a dry fly and bubble float set up and had a blast getting trout to smack the dry fly. It is a fun and easy option for you. I was fishing at a boat launch called Lava Springs I believe. You would easily find it on a map. Have Fun!

T
the_intimidator03
welcome to OFF and ty for the input. I have decided to take the cascade lakes hwy route by elk and hosmer lake, as well at crane etc.