Heading out to Detroit for the evening

M
mlinkletter
Looks like the wife and kiddo want to get out today so we are off to detroit lake in hopes that with having 10000 trout stocked sometime last week that the fishing will treat us well.

Faraday was a bust on Friday so here's to hoping we don't get a repeat of that.

Ill check in later and let everyone know how it went!

L
Left Bank
Good luck to ya!!! Catch some of those holdovers too.

M
mlinkletter
Well we got skunked but in doing some research after the fact we never made it to the correct spot. It looks like Hoover Dock is the place to be. Where would I park to access this dock the next time I am out there?

We were originally parked at Mongold but there didn't seem to be anything worth fishing around there so we headed back to the dam and saw a few guys having some luck but neither of us had the correct size bobbers to really do what needed to be done from there.

It was a beautiful evening out though so we had a nice picnic dinner and enjoyed our time there while the kiddo played. If someone could give me directions to the dock for next time though that would be great!

Thanks.

B
BobbiDollPDX
I fish from the flats (right through town) with a small bobber and a piece of worm. The fishing doesn't get hot from the bank until around 6:00 pm and is usually really good through sundown.

troutdude
troutdude
Power Eggs OFF the bottom, at the Hoover dock. Green & Orange will slay 'em. A big enough slip sinker, to get out to the middle is good (but closer works well too).

A $5 day fee to park, about 100 yards from the dock. Go for it!

We took about 30 peeps up on free fishing day, and all told brought home over 100 'bows.

P.S. You can read my thread "Hammer Time at Detroit", which may be helpful.

M
mlinkletter
troutdude said:
Power Eggs OFF the bottom, at the Hoover dock. Green & Orange will slay 'em. A big enough slip sinker, to get out to the middle is good (but closer works well too).

A $5 day fee to park, about 100 yards from the dock. Go for it!

We took about 30 peeps up on free fishing day, and all told brought home over 100 'bows.

P.S. You can read my thread "Hammer Time at Detroit", which may be helpful.

Hey Troutdude, where is the parking for the Hoover Dock? The only day use we found was the Dam, and Mongold. Where do we need to turn off for Hoover dock?

C
capblack
hoover is on the far side of the lake. go through detroit, turn right at the flats to go up towards blowout, cross the river and youll see the signs. The fishing is just as good though on the highway side across from the dock. we caught almost 75 fish there last weekend between the three of us, all using power eggs off the bottom. almost seems unfair, use a large hook, pinch the barb, and try to set the hook when they first nibble, thats the only way youll have a chance to release them. or if you want to just catch your limit, use a smaller hook, and let them take it, you wont be there long though. good luck, Brian

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. X 2.

The bridge that you go over, crosses the N. Santiam as it flows into the Reservoir.

J
JeepsAreBuilt
Nice tip.. I'll have to try this one next time I go up there. Last time I was there.. I fished at upper arm up Breitenbush rd. I used floating powerbait off the bottom with a small treble hook. I didn't have much luck either. What size large hook were you using ?

troutdude
troutdude
I use a size 8 myself. It's large enough to put two power eggs on it, and still leave the hook tip bare.

BTW, welcome to OFF.

C
capblack
i use 6 and even 4s when there really biting, you have to use three eggs with the 4s for sure, and you wont hook as many, but they dont swallow the hook as much, and when im fishing for stockers, i try to throw them back, at detroit, i usually still get my limit with the ones that swallow it, or i just start with a long leader, and cut the hooks off when i get the fish to the bank, great fun for the kids, but i dont usually fish there by myself. Brian