Headin to Junction City pond

Status
Not open for further replies.
L
lilsalmon
Friday we are headin out to give Junction City pond a try and I was wondering if there are other good spots in the area that we could try.....plannin on an adventurous day of fishin...or should I say catchin....:D

Admin
Admin
Don't want to ruin your plan, but as far as I know they don't stock JCP and will not until December.

T
Thuggin4Life
Never fished it but they stock it so much i don't think all the fish could have possibly been caught.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Most if not all fish are either caught or die in the summer heat.

Admin
Admin
I just called Corvallis office of the OFWD, they stoked JCP last Friday!!! 400 legal + 100 larger. :yay:

J
JeannaJigs
ya they stock this little pond all year consistently because it's such a popular place year 'round to fish. They used to say all the fish in Alton Baker die off, but recently ate their own words when they discovered that they aren't dying off, and there are actually carry over fish. So the myth has been busted.

B
bigsteel
can't wait to fish with you friday Lilsalmon

H
Hooked on fishin'
I fished JC Sat and Sun, caught several fish both days. The water level is real low, and the bite is off and on , being OFF mostly, but then when it turns on, its great! I had about an hour of really good fishin' with about six hours of really bad, but I did catch plenty!

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
ya they stock this little pond all year consistently because it's such a popular place year 'round to fish. They used to say all the fish in Alton Baker die off, but recently ate their own words when they discovered that they aren't dying off, and there are actually carry over fish. So the myth has been busted.

Mmm a carry over fish from an old land fill turned into park. Yummy. Still fun to catch though.

Admin
Admin
Just came back from JCP, yes there is fish in the pond and yes they bite!

J
JeannaJigs
TTFishon said:
Mmm a carry over fish from an old land fill turned into park. Yummy. Still fun to catch though.

Lol didn't say I ever ate anything from there, but that pond is where I got my start. It's a great place to take kids and get 'em into some fish. I wouldn't fish it now, because it's there for people that don't have the oppurtunity to get out elsewhere, and for kids. I have the oppurtunity to fish elsewhere, and I don't have kids...so it's not for me...since I really don't like fishing for trout much anymore anyways.

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
Lol didn't say I ever ate anything from there, but that pond is where I got my start. It's a great place to take kids and get 'em into some fish. I wouldn't fish it now, because it's there for people that don't have the oppurtunity to get out elsewhere, and for kids. I have the oppurtunity to fish elsewhere, and I don't have kids...so it's not for me...since I really don't like fishing for trout much anymore anyways.

It's where I got my start too for trout anyway. I remember riding my bike to the JCP when I was a kid and slinging the brooders over my back on a piece of rope once.

L
lilsalmon
Can't wait to fish with you too......this is what life is about

G
grampa ron
Fly Fishing JC Pond

Fly Fishing JC Pond

I fished it yesterday with my fly rod. I lost track of how many I released. Most were pretty small. The pond is as low as I have ever seen it. Only 4 Cormorants were there.

S
silkiechicken
Are the fish not eatable from the pond because of toxins?

J
JeannaJigs
silkiechicken said:
Are the fish not eatable from the pond because of toxins?

They're eatable, they're just not very good because of the environment they live in. Warm stagnant water. Doesn't make for as good of an eating fish as opposed to eating a fish that came from a river...though hatchery fish all taste about the same these days anyways so I suppose in the end it doesn't matter. I think JCP is a good place for kids to learn to fish, rather than a place to get dinner.

Then there are the brooders...I wouldn't touch one of those with a 10 foot pole if I had been starving for weeks. Those fish are an awesome catching oppurtunity for kids and people who have difficulty fishing elsewhere...but they really aren't edible...I don't think I'd even smoke one. I know there are people who disagree, but that's alright, to each his/her own.

S
silkiechicken
Thanks! I've never been fishing so maybe it would be a good place to learn. I bet there are 4 year old who know more. LOL

Closest thing I have to fishing gear are 4 crab rings for dock crabbing. So I'm starting from scratch!

L
lilsalmon
Welcome to the forum...I also have a lot to learn yet but I am getting there. I fished the JCP and the only thing I got was a bicycle chain....hehe...put up quite the fight tho. Next time I think I will shoot for the rest of the bike. I liked the pond. Definitely will go back. Fished the North Fork (in the snow) and Santiam today. We are headin out for the Nestucca on Friday. My turn for the big one. Good luck to you.

~Rose~

Status
Not open for further replies.