Headed to the Siuslaw in the morning

D
Damon79
Hello all,
I am taking the wife and boy for a boat ride down the Siuslaw Saturday morning. The water is up a bit and hoping it's not muddy, but I still have confidence. Water being at nearly 8 feet is great for me, I really like this level. I will post pics tomorrow if we get into some fish. Hoping to take the skunk off my boat.. This makes the second season in this boat and had only one Springer in it last year and ZERO steelhead yet. Just got finished refinishing the inside after working on it off and on for about two months. Looks good now, but guess we'll see if it catches fish..

T
Thuggin4Life
Good luck.

L
livin2fish
Damon79 said:
Hello all,
I am taking the wife and boy for a boat ride down the Siuslaw Saturday morning. The water is up a bit and hoping it's not muddy, but I still have confidence. Water being at nearly 8 feet is great for me, I really like this level. I will post pics tomorrow if we get into some fish. Hoping to take the skunk off my boat.. This makes the second season in this boat and had only one Springer in it last year and ZERO steelhead yet. Just got finished refinishing the inside after working on it off and on for about two months. Looks good now, but guess we'll see if it catches fish..
Howdy neighbor, hope you got the skunk off let me know how it was,we wanted to go today but too much to do.

FISHON

D
Damon79
What a great day on the Slaw...

What a great day on the Slaw...

Well, the skunk has been taken off my boat.. I floated from Whitaker to Wildcat today and had a great time. I hooked two and landed this beautiful hen. (which is clear full of really nice eggs) A few people I know were there as well and also had a good day.

J
JeannaJigs
Nice fish! I was thinkin' about hitting that stretch but went elsewhere today and got into some natives so it paid off. Wasn't sure if it would be muddy or not, and didn't really want to mess with the boat, or the weekend boat crowds. Passed five boats on 126 at 5:30 AM!

H
Halfthrive
JeannaJigs said:
Nice fish! I was thinkin' about hitting that stretch but went elsewhere today and got into some natives so it paid off. Wasn't sure if it would be muddy or not, and didn't really want to mess with the boat, or the weekend boat crowds. Passed five boats on 126 at 5:30 AM!

Come on your always thinking about hittin it but never do. Yea the crowds suck but the fishing has been really good. I,ve been drifting Wittaker to Lindslaw and just blowing through the first two stretches of water that everyone else is trying to fight and focusing on the rest of the drift. Even when there's 30+ boats people are hooking up. Trust me its worth it.

J
JeannaJigs
Lol been hooked on another river right now with no crowds :) with plenty of fish that shall remain nameless 'cause I want to keep it that way. My anxiety has been hellacious lately with crowds, I don't like people lol. Maybe next sunday if the river cooperates i'll go. I feel like I've been cheatin' on her. I did fish it last weekend though for a little bit on my way home, but the day was doomed from the get go and I was in a vile mood lol so I probably only fished lake creek for an hour had one on, lost it, and the slaw for 45 minutes and came home.

S
steelhead_stalkers
JeannaJigs said:
Lol been hooked on another river right now with no crowds :) with plenty of fish that shall remain nameless 'cause I want to keep it that way.

I know what you mean! ;) :D

T
Thuggin4Life
I looked at the trap saturday on my way to the adobe and there were so many fish in there 1000 wouldn't be a bad guess. Lots of people but not as bad as i have been hearing it was. Still a lot of people though. Followed a boat from veneta with a bike in the boat. I was confused when they headed strait to the whitaker ramp and had the boat in the water and were in the process of repositioning the bike as we left the trap. Why not put the bike down river instead of taking it downriver?

J
JeannaJigs
Thuggin4Life said:
I looked at the trap saturday on my way to the adobe and there were so many fish in there 1000 wouldn't be a bad guess. Lots of people but not as bad as i have been hearing it was. Still a lot of people though. Followed a boat from veneta with a bike in the boat. I was confused when they headed strait to the whitaker ramp and had the boat in the water and were in the process of repositioning the bike as we left the trap. Why not put the bike down river instead of taking it downriver?
Lotta guys don't want to leave their bike at wildcat...lots of tweakers. I'd be pretty angry if i left my bike down there, floated that 2 mile stretch and got to the takeout to discover my bike gone. So if there's room, take it with. I checked the trap last sunday, and maybe they had just emptied it, though i think they do that on weekdays, but there was not a single fish in it, and not a single fish throughout whittaker creek..it was strange. Looks like it's gonna be dropping back down by the weekend, maybe, so I might have to break away from my new habit and bust out the boat.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah that makes sense if you think about it like that. Oh by the way nice fish man! The fish in the trap were stacked in there crazy. Talked to a guy said they got 2 and other people were getting them.

D
Damon79
A crowdless Saturday at Whitaker

A crowdless Saturday at Whitaker

I went to whitaker saturday morning with every intention of going back down to wildcat to avoid the crowd. I was the third boat in the water and only two more behind me waiting. I was very surprised, so I went ahead and floated it. I was down there a few weeks ago and it was crazy with people. two weeks ago the state cop Salisbury said he checked '50' boats between whitaker and wildcat in one day. the river is supposed to come back up again over the week and when it drops back into shape, you better bring your own rock if you want to fish that stretch. There is a lot of fish in there right now and it should be red hot next weekend if the water isn't muddy. guess we shall see....

S
Salmonhungry
Damon79,

How was the water looking on Saturday?

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah there wasn't as many people as i expected to see saturday afternoon. Water didn't look bad but i didn't look to hard since it was a valentines coast trip no rod and lucky to be able to drive up and look at the trap kinda thing.

D
Damon79
water was nearly perfect in my mind

water was nearly perfect in my mind

I like the water at around 7-8 foot and green. To me the water was great. I sure can't complain about the results either..

P
philthefisher
nice fish buddy, and the inside of that boat looks beautiful from what i can see. whatever work you did, you did well. congrats

D
Damon79
thank you....

thank you....

philthefisher said:
nice fish buddy, and the inside of that boat looks beautiful from what i can see. whatever work you did, you did well. congrats

I worked hard sanding all the old flaking varnish from the inside of my boat. I got it last year about this time and had to sand and repaint the outside, and refinished the gunnels. The inside was looking really bad, and I got sick as hell from the varnish but it looks great now. I love my boat, it handles so well. I got rid of my Alumaweld and bought this wood boat and would row this boat forever before that Alumaweld again.. I like the aluminum due to the fact you dont really have any maintenance, but it's worth it to me....