Haystack Reservoir

H
HikeNFish
Hey i was wondering if anyone had any info on Haystack reservoir? Was going to be heading out that way this weekend and was wondering how the fishing has been. Been out there several times as a kid remember catching some nice trout. Also heard there was a big algea bloom this true?

C
cookshot
No idea about the algea bloom. There are bass, trout, catfish, kokanee, and I think different sunfish as well. If you drive through the campground and walk to the rocks you can catch warmwater fish, and the catfish hang out where the canal comes in to the right of the fishing peer (as you are facing it). Never fished it for trout (no boat). But there are big ones in there to be had if you can troll.

H
HikeNFish
Hey thanks for the good info! Ill be taking my nephew there to fish. Wont have a boat so ill probably just stick with the catfish and warmwater fish. When you fish for the bass you using lure/worm? Ill repost on how we do and the algea. Thanks again!

F
fisherwilly
I read that the algae is toxic, but you can still keep fish. I guess just don't swim or get the water near your mouth. (wash your hands). I always like fishing where the canal comes in and along the dam. It seems like the trout like the inflow of canal water and the bass like the structure of the dam. I usually fish cranks and spinners for the bass. It has been awhile since i have been there though. I have seen some monster bass and trout taken out of there, but I always manage small to medium fish. My cousin told me (he had been drinking) he ran the canal waterfall in a canoe! Stay healthy and safe out there.

Fisherwilly

L
lizardman
Watch for the wildlife there as they are fun to watch and usually if you don't get too close to them will let you gaze at them.

I used to live in Madras and would go to Haystack to camp if I had a short weekend (i.e. one day off) as I worked in the mills.

I have seen Eagles, deer, osprey, , great blue herron, and some turtles.

Since you will be there get a license to fish indian land and go fish Lake Simitustis (license can be had at any quicky mart or anywhere that sells tackle).

Dave

Dave

Irishrover
Irishrover
HikeNFish said:
Hey i was wondering if anyone had any info on Haystack reservoir? Was going to be heading out that way this weekend and was wondering how the fishing has been. Been out there several times as a kid remember catching some nice trout. Also heard there was a big algea bloom this true?
I'm about eight miles from the reservior. I'll run over and check it out for you. The algea bloom has kept me away from the place. I used to run over there for a quick swim on hot days. With the algea bloom I now head to Lake Billy Chinook also about eight miles away. Just so you know BLM has changed the way the run the reservior. There is no more free camping and they charge to park for the day by the boat ramp area. Like Lizardman said Lake Simtustus is a great place to fish and a lot better scenery, but you do need a boat to seriously fish that piece of water. I'll report back to you in a few hours.......;)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
That's too bad about the algea bloom. I grew up on Grizzly Mountain and my folks used to take the sister and I there in the summer to swim.

H
HikeNFish
fisherwilly said:
I read that the algae is toxic, but you can still keep fish. I guess just don't swim or get the water near your mouth. (wash your hands). I always like fishing where the canal comes in and along the dam. It seems like the trout like the inflow of canal water and the bass like the structure of the dam. I usually fish cranks and spinners for the bass. It has been awhile since i have been there though. I have seen some monster bass and trout taken out of there, but I always manage small to medium fish. My cousin told me (he had been drinking) he ran the canal waterfall in a canoe! Stay healthy and safe out there.

Fisherwilly[/QUOTE

Thanks for the good info. With my little nephew im not sure ill be fishing the water if its toxic. You know how kids are that love water! can't keep them out of it. Me and my brother might fish it though. For some catch and release. Thanks again!

H
HikeNFish
Thanks ill be sure to have my camera handy! How much does the license cost to fish Native American land? Is lake Simitustis close to madras?

H
HikeNFish
Thanks Irishrover. Ya im looking for a lake with good bank fishing since i dont have a boat. And with the kids. Already have a camping spot be Haystack so was looking for something close. Thanks for taking your time to run out there and check it out for me. Thanks a bunch!

Irishrover
Irishrover
HikeNFish said:
Thanks Irishrover. Ya im looking for a lake with good bank fishing since i dont have a boat. And with the kids. Already have a camping spot be Haystack so was looking for something close. Thanks for taking your time to run out there and check it out for me. Thanks a bunch!
I went over and talked to the camp host at the reservior. He said the bass fishing was good, that they were using green jigs for them. He also said the cat fishing was good too. Bobber and worms was the way to go for the cats. The bloom is still on the lake but not as bad as before. Lots of bank fishing there. Another cool place for kids to see that is right close is Smith Rock. It's just south of there on hwy 97 and the Crooked River runs throught the park there. So if it gets slow there head over to Smith Rock for some fun. Have a great trip and don't drink the water;)

Lake Simtustus is before you get to Madras, if you are coming from Gresham. After you cross the Deschutes River at warm Springs stay on hwy 26, just as you start to go up the hill the turn off to the lake will be on the right. The is a sign there. You could rent a boat at the marina store. With out a boat it's not a great fishery. Also be care full as the lake drops of real quick, steep banks and deep water. I believe the daily permit is up to $10.00

Last edited:
H
HikeNFish
Thanks for the great info! Yeah ill try Haystack. Sounds like the fishing is still good! And take the kids to check out Smith Rock. Same kind of fishing there? Wont be going to Simtustus since it has steep banks. Would rent a boat if i was going to be there for awhile but its just a weekend getaway. Thanks again for all the great info!

C
cookshot
I haven't been to Smith rock, but if the crooked runs through there it is only trout and whitefish.