Hawaii fishing in January

A

alm21

I'll be in Ko Olina, Oahu Hawaii in January and I'm wondering if anyone here knows what the fishing is like during this month? I plan on finding a shared charter to jump on while I am there unless it's a poor time of year to fish (which would surprise me). Also, I welcome any references to good charter services although I think I will focus on finding one near or out of Ko Olina.

S

slimyguts

I too will be in that area sometime this month (for work) but I always travel with a rod or two. Have you found out any info yet?

H

Hawk

Lustrums ago when i served in our U.S. Navy on a LST, we took Army troops to different islands for maneuvers. Sometimes we c&r Hammerhead Sharks mostly, using shrimp. Some of the time it was winter months. Kauai is about 80 right now.
:D
:cool:

Best of Luck to you Bro.

A

alm21

Thanks for the comments. I didn't think anyone was going to reply. I'll be pretty limited to picking a charter close to Ko Olina on Oahu. I'm really excited for this. I fished in Kona when I was a kid literally using a piece of bamboo with line/hook and hot dogs. Caught and released all sorts of fish. It was a blast.

I too will be in that area sometime this month (for work) but I always travel with a rod or two. Have you found out any info yet?

I looked into Boom Boom charters since they are close to where I'll be staying. However, since I'll be solo, I need to get into a shared charter and they didn't have any bookings yet (didn't want to risk my deposit). I may just wait to I get there and call around or maybe go to the docks and see who is hot and open.

M

Modest_Man

I used to live on Oahu but mainly fished the freshwater for peacock bass and red devils from kayak up in Wahiawa. The charter fishing I did was out of Haleiwa, we caught mahi mahi, ahi, and sailfish. If you have a car rental you can go out of any harbor on the island, nothing is more than an hour away.

Has the charter and number right in the photo...
100_0457.jpg

Here is what the charter I took says about the month of January.

From January to February the Marlin/Billfish season is fading out. The fish aggregation devices (FAD), large buoys, usually have Skipjack Tuna (Aku) and small (1 to 20 lbs) Yellow Fin Tuna (Ahi). There is the occasional Mahi-mahi (Dolphin Fish). The Humpback whale season starts and they remain here until the end of April. We usually see whales everyday, this time of year.

And a link to their website- Kuuloa Kai

And some of freshwater fishing...
100_1223.jpg

100_1219.jpg

Last edited:
G

ghostcow

So cool, I'm going to The Big Island next month and now I'm going to book at least one day of fishing, never done any off shore fishing. Thanks for the pics, looks like a great time.

M

Modest_Man

Frankly I puked my guts out 90% of the time. Probably what attracted them to the boat...

M

Modest_Man

I had been out drinking till 3am which didn't help when I sobered up. The captain recommended smoking a little pakalolo to cure it but I don't touch that stuff. Wonder if it really works?

H

Hawk

I had been out drinking till 3am which didn't help when I sobered up. The captain recommended smoking a little pakalolo to cure it but I don't touch that stuff. Wonder if it really works?

We used to hang our gallon jugs (etc) of red mountain, ripple, thunderbird,etc from the rail.

hahaha
:lol::lol::lol:
:cool:

We would transport warm beer, with formaldehyde in it, from Subic Bay P.I. to Vietnam. Along with tanks, ammo, etc.

A

alm21

Alright, I'm set. 7:00am this coming Saturday, I'll be heading out with Boom Boom Sportfishing in Ko Olina. I managed to luck out and get in on a shared charter. There will be 6 of us on the Boom Boom II a 50 ft. Luxury Tournament Sportfisher with a 16 ft. beam. I've never done anything like this so I am beyond excited. I'm hoping for a productive day on the water. Aloha!

W

whipsawsportfishing

Hawaii and Oahu Fishing

Hawaii and Oahu Fishing

Hawaii and Oahu is the best spot for all time fishing, you can go fishing happily to catch your desired fish. I had a great time sharing Captain Don Hackman's charter for fishing Pacific Blue Marlin, Striped Marlin, Black Marlin, Pacific Sailfish. You can also use his charters for sports fishing. Better try with this guy he can do the best for you.

Top Bottom