Hatchery pellet fly

R

rainbowfisherman

Well i know this isn't considered exactly a "sportsmens" fly but i thought that it could catch some fish at small local ponds. So how do you tie it? I can't figure it out

Thanks

T

Thuggin4Life

You could just glue a rock to a hook. Seen lots of fish eat rocks neer the pellet stations. lol i bet if you just used a small hook and wrapped a bunch of brown string into a clump. never tied a fly though so idk.

O

OnTheFly

Well i know this isn't considered exactly a "sportsmens" fly but i thought that it could catch some fish at small local ponds. So how do you tie it? I can't figure it out

Thanks

Let me get this straight; you want to tie a fly that imitates bait?.....and hatchery food no less.:shock: IMHO I think you should figure out what the fish are clewing in on naturally. Try looking up different types of Chronamid and I'll bet you can find one that resembles a pond pellet.:)

Last edited:
T

TTFishon

My go to fly for hatcheries when I was a kid was a black woolly bugger with a red tail. For some reason it had to have the red tail. Only time it failed me was when it tore apart.

M

Mike123

LMFAO! Why not just fish bait?

Those freshly planted pellet trout are retarded. Any flashy little nymph or chironomid will catch one. I would also tie a san juan worm in PINK. That is by far the BEST fly for dumb hatchery trout.

H

halibuthitman

LMFAO! Why not just fish bait?

Those freshly planted pellet trout are retarded. Any flashy little nymph or chironomid will catch one. I would also tie a san juan worm in PINK. That is by far the BEST fly for dumb hatchery trout.
a pink san juan worm is also great for steelhead in low clear water..... as for a pellet fly, I think you can get them from cabellas..... they come in the broka ass baaaztard kit with the cigarette butt fly, the booger fly the cheeto fly ( an A.A favorite ) the bare hook fly and broke off tip fly.

T

Throbbit _Shane

has anyone used hatchery pellets for bait? iv thought about it but dont know how to get it on the hook.

A

adambomb

Growing up a friend of my dad's had a large pond that he stocked with trout. Every spring he would call us and ask us to come catch some of the bigger fish so that when he stocked it his investment wouldn't get devoured. He taught us this trick. First find some old cork, then find some small "Pea gravel". Then, hook a small piece of cork on a very small hook, and toss out a handful of pebbles. The sound of the pebbles imitates the sound of their food pellets hitting the water, and the cork looks just like a floating food pellet. Never failed us.

R

rainbowfisherman

Would the pebbles and cork trick work in a pond like salish or walter wirth or jcp?

H

halibuthitman

the reason the orignal pink powerbait worked is becouse it smelled and tasted just like hatchery food... so, if they won't eat powerbait, they don't want it anymore, the situation bff was in was these trout were feeding on a hatch... so even if you had a garbage can full of pellets you would still be standing there with your **** in your hand... this is the point in fishing where it actually becomes "fishing" not catching dumb fish. This is also the point where the fish stop looking dumb.... and you start feeling dumb.... or trying to grasp for straws... like hatchery pellets:rolleyes:

M

Mike123

a pink san juan worm is also great for steelhead in low clear water..... as for a pellet fly, I think you can get them from cabellas..... they come in the broka ass baaaztard kit with the cigarette butt fly, the booger fly the cheeto fly ( an A.A favorite ) the bare hook fly and broke off tip fly.

OMG LMAO.... :lol:

F

Fishtopher

Hear that? Thats all the fly fishing purists that are crying over their whiskey because some kid wants to make a pellet fly.:lol:

Just go to the hatchery, spend a few quarters and take home a handfull of pellets to make your own power bait.

H

halibuthitman

Hear that? Thats all the fly fishing purists that are crying over their whiskey because some kid wants to make a pellet fly.:lol:

Just go to the hatchery, spend a few quarters and take home a handfull of pellets to make your own power bait.
yes:(

T

Troutier Bassier

Would the pebbles and cork trick work in a pond like salish or walter wirth or jcp?
Ive heard of that but havent seen anyone do that. It probally dosent work because Salish is such a big pond. Compared to the little hatchery ponds.

L

Lostinthemix

If I were gonna do it, I'd prob try and use some kind of hard sponge or some kind of foam so you could dope it up with something so it wouldnt be just an attractor.,or use a yarn that's the color of the pellet and tie a knot in it, then cut it at both ends and use the ends to secure it to the hook with the ends of the knot where you cut it so leave the ends long enough so they will reach the shank of the hook so you can use them to secure the knot to the hook(like youd start or finish tying a fly),thatd prob be the cheapest way to do it and the yarn would soak up whatever fish dope you wanted to use. I dont use it but that'd prob accomplish what your trying to accomplish. I'll take my whiskey canadian please lol.
Good luck,
Jr.

Last edited:
M

Mike123

Paint the smallest corkie you have Brown. Done.

O

OnTheFly

Try this!

Try this!

Hey rainbowfisherman, look up Olive Caddis Midge Nymph. This fly may imitate that fish pellet you're wondering about.:)

Top Bottom