Hatch n` nates

Modest_Man

I was simply paraphrasing the abstract. I take no sides. Neither do the people who did this study. Using the scientific process they came to the conclusion that hatchery runs have a detrimental effect on native populations.

But, but, but...what if it's too dark? I'm just sooo confused as to what to do now. ;)
If it's not good to have hatchery fish in the river and ODFW keeps putting them there then take every one out that you catch! What's so hard about that. If it's too dark do you want to put it back to spawn with the rest of the hatchery crowd or take the chance that it might find a willing Nat?

That's true Brad, I don't mind the hatcheries to support trout fishing for the masses in our lakes but sometimes I worry about what they have done and continue to do in our rivers. But I understand the need for people to take one home now and then. Personally I would rather catch one scrappy natural Steelhead that fights really hard and then gets released than catch 3-4 that aren't sure they are hooked and come in so easily.

GD

the final solution to strengthen the strain right? I understand Damons angle, these proprietary blend fisheries seem a little small and weak... but hey, its all alot of rivers have or they would simply be closed.. mabe thats better for the fish in the long run, just close them untill the nates can support a fishery..... or if you can't catch the ones you love... then love the ones you catch-

Kais

I saw a story on Oregon Field Guide about a study being done in the Alsea about this exact idea. their also taking it many steps further in determining what hatcheries do to natives, how they grow differently and everything, and it has very new technology that is being studied by scientists around the world.

Doesn't matter what your opinion is, what is correct that has been said already in this thread is that you cannot undo what has be done.

markasd

Can not undo the done - we can learn from it but REFUSE to. We know a lot of what needs to be done, but the darn issue of $ will screw the fish in the end. Why would it be so hard to look at what water Oregon has to OFFer and select some water for put and take, leave the others for C&R or closed until that body of water could sustain a C&R or even a catch n kill of natives on a measurable scale? Oregon has a lot of water and a lot of fisher folk, a lot of these fisher folk are willing to make changes to continue to fish this wonderful species..

my .02

metalfisher76

the final solution to strengthen the strain right? I understand Damons angle, these proprietary blend fisheries seem a little small and weak... but hey, its all alot of rivers have or they would simply be closed.. mabe thats better for the fish in the long run, just close them untill the nates can support a fishery..... or if you can't catch the ones you love... then love the ones you catch-
Great point Brad. I was wondering if this would take OFF and get some discussion going, DISCUSSION, thank ya`ll for keeping just that, so far:D

I`m all for catchin and killin. And I also want sustainable native runs. It`s not an easy fix, we took 10`s of years to screw it and it may not be fixxable, that`s the scary part. As a new granpa(kinda, they`re 2) I`ve started thinkin about they`re future more than my own. I want them to enjoy catching, bonking, cleaning and eating their catch. But more importantly I want them to respect what that fishes ancestors went through, what IT went through to be here today. I want them to be aware that what they do at home has an effect on the fish.

Like I said before, every system is different, unique. So I don`t necessarily think that a study done in Hood or Alsea will come up with the fixx-all for every stream. But we most definitely need to pay attention to`em all. Studies can be bought, $$ rules. Take it all with yer grain of salt and go catch a hatchery and tag it. Leave yer nates in the water and get a pic if ya need. But keep discussing, keep the future of these fish in yer thoughts. And "love the ones you catch"!!

skunk

Can not undo the done - we can learn from it but REFUSE to. We know a lot of what needs to be done, but the darn issue of $ will screw the fish in the end. Why would it be so hard to look at what water Oregon has to OFFer and select some water for put and take, leave the others for C&R or closed until that body of water could sustain a C&R or even a catch n kill of natives on a measurable scale? Oregon has a lot of water and a lot of fisher folk, a lot of these fisher folk are willing to make changes to continue to fish this wonderful species..

my .02
I agree, wasn't stating earlier that I love hatchery fish, just that obviously the way its been done, fish haven't quite rebounded like a lot of mammals have. Obviously fish are a lot more suseptible to water quality and what happens to them all along the line and something needs to be done to study that better, not just study of course, but actively fix. Unfortunately, the way alot of the world treats our natural wonders even has a big impact on them in our native waters when they return, or don't. Granted there won't ever be a perfect fix, but I would sacrifice a few rivers for access for awhile if that would restore some runs.

Top Bottom