Has anyone fished the Suislaw lately?

F
fishkiller
The wife and kids are out of town. So I was thinking of hitting the Suislaw tomorrow 3/7. Has anyone been out? Have you had any luck? Any advice would be great. Thanks Derek

J
JeannaJigs
Haven't seen it since last week, but it was chocolate milk sunday. Lake creek was lookin' real nice though. I'm going out tomorrow too, no clue what shape it's gonna be in. The fish were stacked below the fish trap when I was out Sunday though. Hoping they didn't all just shoot up when it was running high, but chances are the majority of them did just that. I'm going to try my luck with some roe if the water's nasty, and jigs if it's cleared up a bit. Might even throw away a few spoons, who knows. I'm not sure what method is going to work, if any lol.

Good luck.

F
fishkiller
I think I'm gonna head high over Nelson Mt. and work my way down. I have a friend who did well earlier this week on the Siuslaw. I'm gonna try roe, steelhead worms, and jigs. If all else fails I will try spinners. I'm not sure of the conditions but Lake Crk. seems to drop faster.

J
JeannaJigs
fishkiller said:
I think I'm gonna head high over Nelson Mt. and work my way down. I have a friend who did well earlier this week on the Siuslaw. I'm gonna try roe, steelhead worms, and jigs. If all else fails I will try spinners. I'm not sure of the conditions but Lake Crk. seems to drop faster.
I don't know if Lake creek necessarily drops faster...but it never gets the nasty color that the siuslaw does, simply because it's more of a gravel/rock bottom, whereas the siuslaw is sand and mud. Bank access over there is a premium though. Pretty limited. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

F
fishkiller
JeannaJigs said:
I don't know if Lake creek necessarily drops faster...but it never gets the nasty color that the siuslaw does, simply because it's more of a gravel/rock bottom, whereas the siuslaw is sand and mud. Bank access over there is a premium though. Pretty limited. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

I'm heading over early. The early bird definitely gets the worm on Lake Crk. Where are you headed to? Lake Crk has better flow also which helps with the clarity.

D
Dichrofisher
I am doing the Siuslaw sunday. My neighbor hooked a nice bright fish this afternoon below Wildcat. He said the boat pressure is low, at least it was today. Might see one of you there! Good luck, oh and he was using a small pink corkie if that matters to anyone.

F
fishkiller
Dichrofisher said:
I am doing the Siuslaw sunday. My neighbor hooked a nice bright fish this afternoon below Wildcat. He said the boat pressure is low, at least it was today. Might see one of you there! Good luck, oh and he was using a small pink corkie if that matters to anyone.

Sounds good!!

N
nw5785
I will be there tomorrow too not sure where but ill be there

J
JeannaJigs
nw5785 said:
I will be there tomorrow too not sure where but ill be there
Lol looks like we'll all be there

J
JeannaJigs
fishkiller said:
I'm heading over early. The early bird definitely gets the worm on Lake Crk. Where are you headed to? Lake Crk has better flow also which helps with the clarity.

I had to work the morning so I didn't get over there until around noon, and...well...There wasn't much left in the way of bank access at the upper end, and not a whole lot further down either, so I migrated over to lake creek for a little bit, got nauseated and came home. Feel like crap but I'll be out there tomorrow morning, EARLY. which sucks because don't the clocks get set forward tonight???! UGH. So it will be extra early, gross.

Going to try to secure myself a nice spot near whittaker, I saw several fish pulled out of there, and talked with a couple of guys that pulled out their limit in 30 minutes!!!!!! I WANT IN ON THAT.

Lake creek is ultra clear, I didn't like it. It's TOO clear. The Siuslaw has shaped up damn nice, should be really good tomorrow I think, just enough color.

J
JeannaJigs
Dichrofisher said:
I think it's the year of the pink corkie, I know of several people hooking up with a single pink corkie. Last year it was red, this year pink.

I myself hate corkies, bleh. But if that's what it takes...I'm willing to give 'er a try...anything...this dry spell is gonna do me in!

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
I think it's the year of the pink corkie, I know of several people hooking up with a single pink corkie. Last year it was red, this year pink.

I myself hate corkies, bleh. But if that's what it takes...I'm willing to give 'er a try...anything...this dry spell is gonna do me in!

Just tie up a pink yarn ball.. I like yarn balls a lot better and only use corkies sometimes if im using bait.
All the fish I've hooked/landed this year have been on yarn balls. Egg and Flame combo has been the best.

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
Just tie up a pink yarn ball.. I like yarn balls a lot better and only use corkies sometimes if im using bait.
All the fish I've hooked/landed this year have been on yarn balls. Egg and Flame combo has been the best.
I've never ever used yarn balls...I think it's 'cause that's what my dad always used and I was like pfff, I can do better. lol. I don't know why really. How do you rig a yarn ball? and are there different sizes? (stupid questions, but eh)

N
nw5785
Well my girlfiriend managed to keep me home today :( but we have an aggrement for tomorrow so I WILL be out tomorrow :) hopefully its not snowing :rolleyes:

J
JeannaJigs
nw5785 said:
Well my girlfiriend managed to keep me home today :( but we have an aggrement for tomorrow so I WILL be out tomorrow :) hopefully its not snowing :rolleyes:
Lol I saw the damn weather report. I was thinking the same thing...but hey maybe less people will be out today if they think it's gonna be icky? It was crowded today.

N
nw5785
one could hope!

J
JeannaJigs
nw5785 said:
one could hope!
Indeed. Hopin' with hand warmers, a thermos and 10,000 layers.

F
fishkiller
Well folks, I was up at 4 am. I just couldn't sleep, I was like a 10 year old on X-mas eve. I was on Lake Crk. at first light and things seemed to be going well. Third cast into my morning and I hooked into a nice sized trout and I thought it might be a sign of things to come. I was using a bobber and a Steelhead worm. My only problem was I had a little too much slack in my line. Once I lost the trout I told myself to keep that line taught and I made myself a promise not to let that happen again. Two casts later I had another take down!! No dice. Too much freakin slack. Oh well what can you do. Suislaw was running to high for my taste so I went back to Lake crk. 10 gallons of diesel later I was driving home with my tail between my legs. All in all it was still a good day.:D

F
fishkiller
JeannaJigs said:
I've never ever used yarn balls...I think it's 'cause that's what my dad always used and I was like pfff, I can do better. lol. I don't know why really. How do you rig a yarn ball? and are there different sizes? (stupid questions, but eh)

I like to use yarn ballz, they hold scent well.

J
JeannaJigs
The only take down I had involved a stick...I got excited about a stick....So sad lol. Tomorrow though, it's on.