Has anyone been to the great G.P. yet this year?

C
capblack
I was just wondering if anyone from the forum is fishing green peter yet. It looks like the levels are coming up fine. Im just afraid all the Detroit rowdys will be up there this year. Im geting the itch, think Ill be hitting G.P. in the next week or so. For kokes if I get a boat, trout if I dont. Brian

M
Mike123
I'm leaving right now for GP! In my trusty little flat bottom. haha. Hope the lake isn't too rough..
Give ya a report when I return.

M
Mike123
Water was very rough at times today. The sun made it warm enough I didn't freeze. Kinda hard to find them when your battery is dead and fish finder doens't work but we managed 5 to the boat and lost 3. Had quite a few bites that didn't stick.. those kokes sure are hard to keep hooks in. Was using Dodger, mini UV pink hoochie, pink smile blade, double #4 Gami's. Thistle Creek ramp was packed! Launched down at the dam. Seen more trailers than I seen boats...?

troutdude
troutdude
I have fished early season there in the past, but for trout. We trolled along the eastern shoreline mostly, and flatlined Doc Shelton's / Ford Fenders / Oddballs / Beer Cans along with wedding rings and worm/corn tipped hooks.
Sometime we'd pick up a koke or two. But, I greatly dislike downriggers' so we only flatlined about 100' behind the boat.

And, you can just about set your watch to the wind pickin' up about 9:30 to 10:00 every morning.

M
Mike123
Yea we just used 1oz weights and ran our gear anywhere from 50-75' from the boat. didn't get there till about 1pm.. was nice right when we put in then got real windy. Seems like all the boats were spread out REALLY good today.

troutdude
troutdude
Did you have any luck fishing w/ 1 oz. weights?

I would think that flatlining would produce more trout, as they are typically close to the surface this time of year.

Or, were you after kokes and not trout?

C
capblack
you can find kokes flatlining this early, later in the season after the water warms they will be down further and easier reached with a downrigger.

there may have been a bass tourney, it seems like this time last year I had the same problem with a loaded parking lot. and if they were bass boats, thats probably why you didn't see them on the lake, they fish the arms a lot up the santiam. away from the main lake where people troll for kokes. But It may just be because of the size of the lake. I have been up there memorial day weekend, when all the parking was full, but once you get on the lake, theres plenty of room. I love that res. Im starting to drool, I better get off here, Brian

M
Mike123
capblack said:
you can find kokes flatlining this early, later in the season after the water warms they will be down further and easier reached with a downrigger.

there may have been a bass tourney, it seems like this time last year I had the same problem with a loaded parking lot. and if they were bass boats, thats probably why you didn't see them on the lake, they fish the arms a lot up the santiam. away from the main lake where people troll for kokes. But It may just be because of the size of the lake. I have been up there memorial day weekend, when all the parking was full, but once you get on the lake, theres plenty of room. I love that res. Im starting to drool, I better get off here, Brian

Yup... that's it. Were tons of bass boats around.. Most of them just driving around at 60mph. haha. Wish they'd catch all them damn bass and keep them or throw 'em on the bank.

C
capblack
Mike123 said:
Yup... that's it. Were tons of bass boats around.. Most of them just driving around at 60mph. haha. Wish they'd catch all them damn bass and keep them or throw 'em on the bank.
did it look like they practiced there backing up skills at all in the off season? Last year I hit gp for kokes at this time during a bass tourney, and I swear, 90 percent of them took up 2 lanes when they parked. I dont have any problem with bass fisherman, but I wish they would slow down and think about the other guy once in a while. Those guys are always in a hurry. I wonder what kind of coffee theyre drinking:think::think:

M
Mike123
capblack said:
did it look like they practiced there backing up skills at all in the off season? Last year I hit gp for kokes at this time during a bass tourney, and I swear, 90 percent of them took up 2 lanes when they parked. I dont have any problem with bass fisherman, but I wish they would slow down and think about the other guy once in a while. Those guys are always in a hurry. I wonder what kind of coffee theyre drinking:think::think:

I think they are just imagining they are on the FLW tour and they need to get to their spot before anyone else. HAHA.

I didn't look around the parking lot too much cause I turned right around and launched at the dam. Nice thing about havin a little flat bottom boat. Did a full tune up on my 8hp Merc though.. cleaned out the carb and filter and tuned it up.. and man that thing really moves my little boat! It would idle for hours and made an awesome time of trolling.

Last edited: