Has any one caught sea run cutthroat yet this season?

S
SmallStreams
It's getting close to the time to expect some... anyone find any yet?

T
Thuggin4Life
I picked one up several weeks ago.

troutdude
troutdude
They already in the Siletz Gorge 3 weeks ago. I think that is an early run, cuz they're munching on springer and summer run eggs.

But, now's the time to start hitting it in other rivers. I'll be on the Alsea in a couple of weeks.

B
beaverfan
There's been some in the Wilson since the end of May, there always is that time of year. I had at least a 20incher on about a month and a half ago but it spit my hook and I've caught a bunch around 15 inches. From what I've read there are sea runs constantly going in and out of the rivers. Next big rain will push a whole bunch upstream.

R
rippin fish lips
I havent fished for sea run cutties. But i have been wanting to really bad! can u only get into them towards the tide waters? If so, where at, and what river? Do they like salmon, come all the way up into town? springtucky area?

F
fishtales
Have not gone for a Coastal Cutthroat yet this year but I'm going to soon. Not sure if they go to Eugene area but I assume they would still be classified as Coastal right? Anyone know if the go to the Lewis river. I heard that they go quite aways up the Columbia past Portland.

B
beaverfan
They are in the coastal rivers mainly. So west of Eugene there is some in the streams that run into the ocean. Not a whole lot of them go up the Willamette anymore.

I also should mention that they are a true native and should be C&R'd if at all possible. They're numbers are improving but they have not fully recovered from years of overfishing and habitat loss. If fishing keeps improving in 5-10 years we'll be out there catching some really big native trout,

Last edited:
C
cobias
I should know this

I should know this

Not to hijack this thread but are Sea Run Cutthroat protected ? I thought for some reason they were but can't find it in the regs.

B
beaverfan
ODFW opened up to a 2 fish limit a couple of years ago, which in my opinion is completely stupid.

T
Thuggin4Life
don't quote me but i think its 5 a day in lakes.

B
beaverfan
Ya your probably right, in the lakes that have them it probably is five.

T
Thuggin4Life
Not sure but aren't the regs for them the same as the trout regs for the body of water you are fishing?

B
beaverfan
Ya pretty much, a few years ago most of the coastal streams were C&R only for trout. They switched to C&R in the early 90's I believe.

R
rippin fish lips
I always let go the fish i catch unless its a keeper salmon/steelhead!

troutdude
troutdude
beaverfan said:
Ya pretty much, a few years ago most of the coastal streams were C&R only for trout. They switched to C&R in the early 90's I believe.

I think that many (maybe all) coastal streams are still C & R only.

BTW, not to hijack...but, in which lakes would ya find Blue Backs? The only one that comes to my mind may be Siltcoos. (Please PM me, so as not to continue this side bar question...thanks).

B
beaverfan
troutdude said:
I think that many (maybe all) coastal streams are still C & R only.

BTW, not to hijack...but, in which lakes would ya find Blue Backs? The only one that comes to my mind may be Siltcoos. (Please PM me, so as not to continue this side bar question...thanks).

Well not sure about the streams south of here but the most of the north coast streams are now open to 2 fish a day, 8 inch min.

troutdude
troutdude
beaverfan said:
Well not sure about the streams south of here but the most of the north coast streams are now open to 2 fish a day, 8 inch min.

I just got out my reg book. Here is what I found.

ALL coastal streams in the Northwest & Southwest region, it is indeed 2 trout per day. Also above any tidewater areas, all streams are restricted to artificial flies and lures only.

Plus, if you should get a "rainbow" that is over 16", you must tag it as a steelhead.

We are talking about bluebacks here [sea run cutts]. But I thought it would be a good idea to post that stipulation, about 'bows too. Don't want to see anyone get into legal trouble.

F
fishtales
I thought it opened Sept 1st. I will l check my reg book but I though that it said Sept 1st. No big deal if I'm wrong.

F
fishtales
troutdude said:
Plus, if you should get a "rainbow" that is over 16", you must tag it as a steelhead.

This is when a Rainbow takes on a Steelhead form.

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for bringing that up. I just noticed that the "trout" season, is from May 22 - Aug. 31. I don't see any other "open season" dates, for trout in the Coastal streams.

If you find something else out, please let us know.