Harvest Trout

O
orange2mod
Is anyone familiar with " Harvest Trout " caught in the Columbia around St. Helens? I was talking to a guy yesterday and he said they were similar to a cutthroat. Supposedly catch them year round.

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome...

Welcome...

orange2mod said:
Is anyone familiar with " Harvest Trout " caught in the Columbia around St. Helens? I was talking to a guy yesterday and he said they were similar to a cutthroat. Supposedly catch them year round.

Welcome to OFF, I personally don't have any info on this Trout....you could try the ODFW, or maybe someone here has that information. Tight lines.

Chuck
Resources: Fishing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

C
chris61182
I have heard searun cutthroats called this, they are also sometimes known as blueback as well. Sadly they don't really exist in harvestable numbers anymore, and are closed to retention in most places.

Last edited:
B
Boywhofishes
i am really interested now:shock: i would like to know more

O
orange2mod
Looked on ODFW and it's a cutthroat. Thanks for the replies.

T
trollin4trout
I remember when we were kids, Dad would fish for them off the beach in the Columbia- off of Hayden Island.

We've caught them recently in the Cowlitz- 2-3 years ago there were more to be caught. Last year only got a couple. Yes, they are cuttthroat. I think WDFW stopped stocking them (or greatly reduced the numbers)in the Cowlitz like they used to because they think they may be reducing salmon runs.

We caught them near the Vader/ I-5 bridge or near Castle Rock.

My friends fish for them just west of Longview from the bank on the Columbia.

Jim

T
trollin4trout
Just got a first hand report from my fishing buddy- he caught several harvest trout today at the Vader bridge on the Cowlitz. Said they were 13-14 inchers.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Cuts are one of my favs. Beautiful fish that put up a good fight. The Yaquina River has quite a few lunkers down in her depths, and the Cowlitz too. Not many at all left in the Cowlitz, but a guide friend of mine catches one or two a week when they are movin through the holes he fishes. Good to know that info out of Vader on I-5. I will have to bring the cutty gear to try that spot out...

C
cavdad45
Haven't heard that term in a while. They are searun cutthroat or as my Gramps calls them bluebacks.

B
Boywhofishes
huh, bluebacks... you should see the trout that come out of clear lake (head o Mckenzie) they are truely BLUE :D:lol::dance:

F
FishSchooler
Wait, are there cuts in the columbia river? Or are they just in the lakes by the columbia?

B
Boywhofishes
cutts are everywhere, i think... :lol:

F
FishSchooler
Well if they arent everywhere, we gotta team up and win the lottery so we can stock em everywhere! :lol:

B
Boywhofishes
yeah :lol: but stockers don't give as much excitement as wild fish, ;)

and we better get to buying some lottery tickets... oh dang not 18 yet :rolleyes::(

F
FishSchooler
Maybe if I stand on your shoulders and we wear a real long drench coat, well look old!

B
Boywhofishes
yeah or i can just wait a couple years... i'll be pming you in a couple years so we can pool our money and buy those dang tickets:lol:

F
FishSchooler
I got a handy dandy telescoping stool! :lol:

B
Boywhofishes
hmm... but then how to move around...:lol::think:

F
FishSchooler
Wear a long wedding dress and attach wheels!
Edit: :lol: :lol:

B
Boywhofishes
yeah... or maybe you could pay one of the homeless guys to do it for you... :lol:
or you could make a false ID card and risk getting caught :naughty: