Hard to get to

D

dale

hey every one im looking for a remote fishing spot. hard to get to so there is not any combat fishing going on. Looking for trout. any advice would be greatly appriecated.

O

OnTheFly

Check out the Olallie lakes basin. That area should keep you busy for a long time.

D

dale

thanks every one! the Olallie lakes looks like it will be my next destination. Im from the hillsboro area.

S

slimyguts

On the weekend of the 4th I was in La Pine. Took a drive on Sunday morning to Thompson Res. Only about 12 people camping there. One other boat on the water. About 5 people on the bank. Loaded with fish. Landed a fatty 20" rainbow. Had a 36" follow a rooster tail to the boat twice. Would not bite and could not get the net fast enough!!! If I was looking for an out of the way place to go.....that would be it.

S

slimyguts

Head south through La Pine. Dont remember the highway number but follow the sign to Reno. When you think you have gone too far, keep goin. You will see signs for the campgrounds. Watch out for the free range cattle. About 1.5 to 1.75 hrs from the turn off at La Pine. Water temp was in the mid to high 40s (which tells me why they were not bitin too good). Stockers were being caught on the bank but that is not what I went for. No kids in the boat = NO STOCKER FISHIN!! I think in about a month the water temp will be much better and get the fish more active. When I woke up on Sunday the 4th to go fishin, it was a cool 26 degrees in LaPine but warmed up to 82 so the water temps should be increasing quickly.

Travel time from McMinnville to La Pine is 3.5 hrs (without traffic), then ad on the 1.5 hrs to the lake. Its a long drive through boring high desert country. Not a trip to take at the last minute. Unimproved camping. No stores anywhere near there. But there is the Cowboy Dinner Tree restraunt.

Almost all the times I have been to Wickiup Res. or East Lake or Paulina lake (even on the 4th weekend) it really was not that bad. Not like Hagg lake on a sunny day.

Last edited:
troutdude

troutdude

No wonder there were hardly any fishing peeps; but yourself and a couple others. It's a LONG drive, and rather secluded.

S

slimyguts

Very long drive. Would only go back if I was camping for a few days. Its weird......driving through high desert...nothing around but sage brush and then wham! a lake. There are two campgrounds. One is very unimproved with a boat launch that is only good for flat bottom or pontoons (very shallow and soft bottom). The other is on the other side of the lake. Improved camp spots but not all cramed together. Much better concrete boat launch.

S

slimyguts

Yes, its like an oasis. Trees, grass....etc....and huge free range cattle that look like they would be GREAT on my plate!!!

troutdude

troutdude

Sounds like a really great spot. A guy might even be able to fire up the grill, and have a "beefalo" steak to boot! LOL

Thanks for sharing and answering all of my questions.

S

slimyguts

troutdude

troutdude

OK, now I understand. I am further behind, but it is listed in the 7th Edition of that book. LOL

Thanks again!