Hammond crabbing on Friday 1/8

S
Swamp Puppy
Going to hit the river for crabs this friday..barring any sort of nasty weather other than a little rain.

anyone been down there lately? trying to gauge how long this will take me for 3 limits. normally, we get 'em pretty quick, but i haven't been down there yet this year. we won't be able to hit the high slack, but will have the pots in the water at low slack (12:30ish) and will keep them working until we are either done or can't fish anymore.

will post up a report for those interested (if we go) when we get back.

D
diggindan
I'm always interested in crabbin' reports. Where is Hammond?
Cheers, Dan

S
Swamp Puppy
down on the lower columbia near astoria.

S
StreamFixer
Swamp Puppy said:
will post up a report for those interested (if we go) when we get back.

Well??? Did you go? And if so how was the crabbing? Buoy 22?

S
Swamp Puppy
we made the trip down there, but didn't go out. sustained winds in the 20+ mph range had the water pretty sloppy and capping. we hung out for a bit just to see if anything would change and then bailed out. It wasn't so bad that we couldn't go if we really wanted to, but in the end the concensus was to call it off. :(

H
halibuthitman
Swamp Puppy said:
we made the trip down there, but didn't go out. sustained winds in the 20+ mph range had the water pretty sloppy and capping. we hung out for a bit just to see if anything would change and then bailed out. It wasn't so bad that we couldn't go if we really wanted to, but in the end the concensus was to call it off. :(

"there are bold mariners, and old mariners.... but there are no Bold Old mariners" Ive made that trip a couple times for nothin..... you can check the weather at hammond by looking at the highway weather cam on the bridge to wash. shows the area pretty good.

S
StreamFixer
Swamp Puppy said:

My kids sometimes accuse me of being a lot smarter than I look. Nothing personal intended there, but you are VERY smart.

I have tried crabbing that area with high winds (east) and lots of wool on the water. Not much fun and sometimes a bit scary. Never again.

Long trip, but not worth trying with 20 mph winds.

I agree there are no old bold mariners. Lets all just become old mariners and stay safe.

See you out there one of these times.

Streamfixer.

S
Swamp Puppy
i'll try the traffic cam next time...thanks.