Halibut!

C

cwsmith

First off, does anyone think there will still be halibut left in the quota on August 20th and 21st??

If so, I am 18 years old and really want to try going out for halibut and wanted to know if anyone going out on a sport boat for the second weekend of summer season might have room and gear for me to join you. I've caught one halibut and it was great, but really can not afford the prices the charters cost (but I will pay my fair share to go out with someone). Post here or send me a PM if you might be able to help me out!

Happy Fishing,

Cody

F

fishnquest

I'm always drawn to halibut. There's some nice looking fish in your album there and a nice halibut. I can't help you with your quota question or your haibut trip. I'm sure there are people here who can. Good luck.

C

cwsmith

thank you! if i wasn't drawn to halibut after fighting one then i was 'hooked' :lol: once i tasted some fresh halibut. very good eating fish and i am ready for some more.

anyone else know about quota or planning to go out?

F

fishnquest

Halibut is VEEERRRRRY good fish; my 2nd fav after rockfish. You get more eatable meat as a percentage of total fish weight than any other fish I know of, too (4 fillets per fish!) They are still most excellent eating up to about 50lbers (the fillet fibers get big and course after that, but still good). It is also one of the very few fish that freezes very well. It will keep longer than most fish so that 50lber won't go to waste.
I'm not in your state and not intimately familiar with the OR halibut regs so look them up but I would guess the limit is one with no size restrictions or perhaps something like 22" min.
That one in my avatar weighed exactly 50lbs. Good luck out there.
Oh yeah, and don't forget the cheeks meat on the bigger ones.

Last edited:
C

cwsmith

i had the cheek meat off of my halibut and it was soooooooooo good.. the gal at the cleaning station said that it sells for like $52 a pound or something crazy.. and yeah its 1 halibut per day, 6 per year, no minimum size, but you can't keep other fish when a halibut is on board offshore halibut fishing.

Top Bottom