Hagg Lake trout fishing

P
Phillip Neidhart
Fished Hagg Lake yesterday and you would have thought it was July. The mesquitoes were just unbelievabe and so were the crowds. The water was still 49 degrees and fishing was very slow. After noon, what bite there was just died. By next week the water should warm up a few degrees, and the fishing should improve. We had a decent day, but we really had to work for it. Most boaters had 0 to 2 fish, and the bankers didn't look too busy either.
But, a good sunburn was had by all!
Fishkiller

J
JASMINE
Yeah it was a rough day out there. caught three between 8-9:30am in the morning from the bank and lost one halway in, my buddy caught two in the same time period. After 11 for us bite died! Looking forward to warmer water!

F
FishinFools
Went yesterday fished most of the day and caught 4 trout out of a boat. Tons of people. Hope the water warms up.

F
FishSchooler
I would go on wednesday. Yesterday, it was like 70 degs, today, 78, and tomorrow, supposedly 75 and day after tomorrow is gonna be mid-high 60s. Water should be bit warmer after all those 70's.

H
Hawk
Many times fish are holding in about 10-15% of the total water area...

You hav to be in the rite place, at the right time, at the right depth, with the right lure/bait.............................:D

Many times using a lure u have to cast 1000-1500 or more times a day to be somewhat sucessfull.................:rolleyes:

Many fishin' folks hav multiple rods with different lures/baits.

Happy fishin'..............................:)

Happy Easter to Y'all & Your Beloved Ones...

I
I Grade
Yeah....i hear you there Hawk....i have fished Hagg a number if times, but I have not been skunked in ages. I did really well there about 3 weeks ago. Caught the 10lb monster in the photo on some power eggs over by ramp 'a'

We also caught about 3 more average stocker-sized fish on this same outing. We just decided to call it a day after we caught that burly rainbow. A good day at the lake indeed. I love to fish spinners so I am easily bored this time of the year when the fish are lethargic and need a lot of coaxing to strike. Hagg has always been best fished with powerbait for me. Using fancy plastic and metal lures has never really produced for me there. Oh well.... I will try again another day.

C
carljswede
To Neidhardt

To Neidhardt

Which ramp, what depth, and what direction were you trolling? Did you say green or red flatfish?

P
Phillip Neidhart
Keep Trying

Keep Trying

Ramp C troll to the right for 1000 yards, then reverse. I tried every color, but only hot red worked. The lure must be something that wobbles enough to irritate them. Spinner baits aren't working yet. Depth is 5 to 7 feet. Good luck!

F
fishgood
Phillip
What time of day do you have most luck? Is it worth being there at sunrise?
Thanks!

P
Phillip Neidhart
Start Time

Start Time

We try to get an early start for the morning bite, but you never know what they are going to do. Afternoons can be good when you get some wind on the water. It's going to stay tough until the water gets to about 55 degrees, and it's only 48-49 degrees now.
Phillip

F
fishgood
Early seems to be better, but seems like I can't get my partner there on time:rolleyes:

C
c_13_b
I have most of luck in the evenings...powerbait has been the best for me...mainly white sometimes with sparkles. I have noticed the best fishing is the month of May.

P
Phillip Neidhart
Just got back from Hagg with high expectations and big disapointments. the conditions could not have been better except for the cold water. The bite was actually the worst I have seen all year. we fished 4 hours for two small throwbacks, and we outfished everyone we spoke to. It started raing when we left, and that may have picked up the bite, but it was just too cold. Enough frustration for one day!
Phillip Neidhart

M
mgdguy
Hit Hagg today for the first time with my buddy Anyfishisfine. We were on his canoe rowing it. He managed two for three, losing the first one as it dangled next to the boat.

He's supposed to give a report with pic ;)

Me, my skunk continues :rolleyes:

C
Castorcrick
4/26 Wife and I spent from 7:00 till 1:30 On Hagg and limited out on stocker trout 12-14 inches. Couple nice fat ones. Threw back a couple skinny little 8 inchers (saw plenty of those hauled in) All in all a nice morning.

C
Castorcrick
we tried trolling wedding rings but small rapalas with a little tease of powerbait is what really got them. Caught most of the keeper size fish in the eleven to noon hour.

A
andronicus83
Went fishing on Saturday. Beautiful day. Some people caught their limit. Some caught just a few small ones. We caught a few small ones. I caught two, the lady caught none :( Both were caught on salmon egg flavored powerbait. None of our other flavors (corn, patriotic, chartause, mixed with salmon eggs, trout lunker lotion dipped) seemed to be working.

One of the guys near us caught his limit with green and orange power eggs. We would tear a green one in half and tear an orange one in half and put them on the hook that way. His buddy, sitting two feet from him using normal powerbait didn't catch a single fish...

Last edited by a moderator:
M
michaelkim9582
nice fish. is this the 2nd ramp? and I noticed you live in beaverton, so if your in for some good fishing, you should most definatly check out commonwealth lake. caught my limit in 45min. some caught some nice 20inchers!

A
andronicus83
This is over to the right of boat ramp c. When you turn down that road it splits left and right. Left goes to the boat ramp, right goes to a nice party, bbq area. I believe later in summer when the water level drops this is where a lot of people swim. Been there two of the last three weeks and it seems like most people (other than us) catch their limit. We don't really have a limit cause we don't keep any. Just have fun catching them.

By the way neither of these are actaully nice fish. Just a trick of the camera. Putting the fish as far in front of my body as possible to fool you. Ha ha. Look how big my fist is holding that fish. Big as my head!

Anyway, where is this commonwealth lake?

M
michaelkim9582
its by NIKE headquarters, if you know where that is. Check out the commonwealth lake thread.