Hagg Lake 7 April 2019

bass

I fished long an hard this day and was rewarded with 53 trout including a 20" fish. That is a lot of fish to catch, but I did spend 10.5 hours on the water to get them. For me, it was a day of hot and cold. I would hit stretches where I was spanking them like crazy and then all of a sudden it was crickets. I tried to stay tuned in to this, it is easy for me sometimes to not notice the bite has slowed when I have already caught a lot of fish. I think keeping my intensity up all day was really key to the final number.

I launched at ramp C and stayed in the no wake zone all day. I fished pretty much the whole day with my normal setup of a 1/24oz roostertail with a trailer hook and a 1/2 nightcrawler. I think I only had 2 fish on the treble all day. I trolled 50' back with a 1/8oz on the spreader (really just to prevent line twist). I varied my speed but it seemed like a slightly faster pace (compared to previous weeks) resulted in more hookups. I was mostly trolling 1.3-1.5mph.

I started the day fishing close to the edge of the wake zone and the bite was outstanding for a while. I caught a bunch there including my best fish. As the wind picked up a bit the bite slowed down for me. I looked around the lake and noticed that back towards the Scoggins arm was more alee. I was not sure if the extra chop was the issue so I decided to head back that way to see if the calmer water would be better.

That turned out to be a good move. I spend the rest of the day trolling between the Tanner arm and into the Scoggins arm a bit. There were a lot of active fish back there and they were hitting nice and hard for the most part. I do have to admit my big mistake though. The night before when I was loading up I thought I should re-tie my leaders on the trolling rods. In my laziness, I did not. Late in the day I hooked a beast of a fish. I am not sure if it was a big trout or a big smallie but my drag was ripping. I thumbed the spool to try and slow the fish and POP goes the leader. That really hurt but I fully deserved it. At least I learned from my lesson and immediately stopped fishing and re-tied both rods.

Here is a video of a few of the fish. The editing is terrible but that is why I am not in the film industry :)

Last edited by a moderator:

troutdude

@Anatoliy can you please add a JEALOUS button on this site?! Cuz I wanna be like @bass!

Another great report Mr. Bass! You've got me Jonesin' for a trip to Hagg fo' sho'. Just may have to head up, and bank it in a few days.

Keep up the great work and the groovy reports.

bass

Thanks @Troutman007 ! The video is pretty terrible. The chest cam works pretty well for sturgeon fishing but is not great for trout trolling. I need to figure something out.

I do love my kayak! Really opens up the possibilities.

305to503fishermen

@bass

We should meet up one day at Hagg. I have gone twice now on my new Kayak. I have caught 1 the first time and 3 today. Maybe you can give me tips on rigging and what not.

Also how do you do the rooster tail with the single hook on the back? What size hook do you use?

Look at this huge school I found. I got zero hits on that school. I past over it like 3 times.

Attachments

bass

@305to503fishermen

I am not sure when I will get to Hagg again but I will try to let you know in advance.

For the roostertails, I use 8lb test for the trailer. I tie one end to the bend of one of the hooks of the treble with an improved clinch knot (careful to not trap any hackle) and then I snell a hook on the other end. I use a #6 or #8 Gamakatsu octopus for the hook. I thread 1/2 nightcawler onto the trailer using a worm threader. I use a 5' leader of 6lb fluorocarbon to a spreader (that I make myself). Up till now I have been using a 1/8oz weight on the spreader. That is really only there to stop line twist. I am letting out 50' of line.

You can see how I thread the worm on the video from this post: Hagg Lake on Sunday March 31st

As to not getting any bites from that school. They look to be pretty deep. Perhaps your lure was too far above them. When the fish start to school deeper I switch to a 2oz weight and then vary the line length to get to the depth I am marking the fish. I eyeball the angle and make my best guess.

I use simple trig to guess the depth. If the line angle is 45 degrees then the depth is about 70% of the line out. If the angle is 22.5 (about 1/2 of 45) then the depth is about 38% of the line out. I usually guess one of these two :) Then if I am not getting bit I start letting out line 5' at a time. If I get really deep without a bite I start from the original line out and subtract 5' at a time.

One last question, not sure if you paddle or pedal. If paddling how quiet are you? I attribute a lot of my success to the stealthiness of my Hobie. I think I am pretty quiet in the water. Also, how fast are you typically trolling? I start around 1.2mph and if I am not getting bit I usually keep increasing my speed all the way up to 2 or 2.5mph. If nothing works I try super slow (starting around .7mph).

The tricky part is deciding how long is long enough before switching something up. If I know I am not fish I won't go more than 15 or 20 minutes before I change something up. On some days if I am feeling really impatient I may only go 10 minutes.

I hope this helps.

305to503fishermen

@bass

Thank you so much bass that was beyond informative. I tried to tie it using a uni knot and it was not working well for me with 6 lbs test. I thought so too, on my line not being deep enough. I appreciate your guesstimating technique. I usually go between 1.1-1.5. I think I would have to work pretty hard to keep a 2.5 lol.

I have a paddle kayak. I did not think about the stealth of the paddles.

I just need to keep honing my technique.