Hagen tackle maker?

A
adambomb
Has anyone ever used one of these? How does it compare with a Boggs?

C
carl hungis
My personal 2 cents, buy a twist tech. you can biuld about anything with it. I have both a boggs and twist tech, as well as round nose pliers. I use pliers for steelhead spinners and the twist tech for everything else.........

Troutski
Troutski
I can tell you this, it is what is on my bench. Never had a problem with it, perfect bends using a wide range of wires and cables. Now I must admit I did receive it as a gift so the price was perfect. All I can say is it was money well spent - in my opinion;)

Chuck

A
adambomb
I received some gift cards to cabela's for x-mas, so now all I have to do is decide between the Hagen and a new Lamiglas rod.

Troutski
Troutski
Desissions

Desissions

adambomb said:
I received some gift cards to cabela's for x-mas, so now all I have to do is decide between the Hagen and a new Lamiglas rod.

Desissions, desissions, desissions...isn't life fun. Good luck with what ever you chose...either one will be worth it.

Chuck

J
Jacks Tackle
adambomb said:

Ya that is a hard one for sure! I know the hagens tools are exceptionally well built as are the Lami's. What Lami are you looking at?

RB

Troutski
Troutski
Nice componentes

Nice componentes

I wanted to let you know, that you provide one of the nicest sets of easy to get components within my reach.
Quality must be high on your list....Thanks R&B:cool:

Chuck

J
Jacks Tackle
Thank you!

A
adambomb
Jacks Tackle said:
Ya that is a hard one for sure! I know the hagens tools are exceptionally well built as are the Lami's. What Lami are you looking at?

RB

I'm hoping to get a X 96 JC-GH certified pro rod. Until I can afford one rod for each style of fishing, I'm hoping this rod will double as a jig and drift rod.

O
osmosis
Thats a killer rod, I would definitely pick it over any tackle maker.

A
adambomb
osmosis said:
Thats a killer rod, I would definitely pick it over any tackle maker.

I would too, if it all cost me the same, but I only have $100 in gift cards, so the rod would be a bigger out of pocket expense. I stopped by BC angling post today, and the next shipment of Boggs is due on the 15th of January, and the price is $56. That being said, I think I will get the rod as soon as I can afford it. One last question: If the MSRP is 290, what can I expect to see retail?

O
osmosis
In the ballpark of $200-$210 is the tackle shop average that I've seen. Well worth it for sure.
The rod is killer for lighter than 1oz float systems (can run 1oz fine too), spinner fishing and drifting. It really shines as a bobber and bait or jig rod though.
A guy I fish with quite a bit has it in the spinning version and uses it to sidedrift in my boat instead of my lighter action rods and loves it for that too.

F
fishcreekspinners
I bought that Hagen wireformer at the Cabela's Sidney, NB store about 10 years ago and its a reliable workhorse. Does everything I needed it to do and more.

I tend to thread the components, clip the wire and then R bend and twist on the hook. In that sequence twisting a larger treble is kind of tight on the top rotor and can catch the hook if your mind wanders.

After experimenting with duct tape, rubber bands and Frig magnets, any will fix the problem and away you go.

The left/right hand reverse works with an allen wrench and the hardened steel is for real.

It was a hundred+ bucks, but less then many fly vises. Its a cool tool.