Guided trip this weekend!

P
pigs
Hey everyone,

I'm planning to go on a guided trip this weekend! Do any of yall have recommendations as to which river to hit up? I've never fished for steelhead before, and just want to see what it's all about with a guide to show me how it's done. :)

So far, I've been looking at the Sandy and Wilson. Which of those are better to hit up this time of the year? Or is there a better river?

P
pinstriper
EOBOY and me are going somewhere Friday with Tanner, theres a seat open last I knew. T will tell us night before where we're going based on the latest conditions. Jump on in with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
pigs
Thanks [MENTION=13731]pinstriper[/MENTION], but unfortunately we have 3 in our party. :frown:

P
pinstriper
Oh, I totally misread you. Won't your guide be....guiding...the decision on where to fish ?

There are lots of steelhead to be had in both rivers, it really depends not so much as "this time of year" as current conditions that day/week and how the run has progressed.

Any given sunday...

P
pigs
Gotcha, that makes sense. Sorry I haven't gone on a guided trip before, so I thought you book a trip based off a specific location.

Still new to all this! :)

D
DirectDrive
pigs said:
Gotcha, that makes sense. Sorry I haven't gone on a guided trip before, so I thought you book a trip based off a specific location.

Yes, your guide will know which river(s) to fish.
One tiny problem though, this is waaaay late notice to book a trip with a quality guide for this coming weekend.

Good luck.

E
eat, sleep, fish
pigs said:

You'll want to pick a guide based on the general area, but typically they pick which river you'll fish based on conditions and where they think will be best.

Also you'll have a tough time finding a quality guide on this short of notice, but they may have some recommendations or have someone that works for them available. It doesn't hurt to give them a call.

P
pigs
Thanks all! We've had one booked, but they told us today that they haven't had much success lately (they only fish the Sandy and are unfamiliar of the more coastal rivers-- which is why I originally started this thread). They said they've gone a few days with 0 catches, so they understand if we want to cancel.

Currently in talks with Tanner so hope it works out! *crossing fingers*

P
pigs
Update: Booked with Tanner! Wish us luck! I'd be so thrilled if I could catch just 1... :)

P
pinstriper
That's the advantage of Tanner. A good guide will have expertise in more than one river and will be able to adjust your trip based on what is happening and where. A "one river" guide is one I would pass on, unless you were very mission specific (ie. Bouy 10).

Admin
Admin
pigs said:
Update: Booked with Tanner! Wish us luck! I'd be so thrilled if I could catch just 1... :)

Good choice. And good luck! )

Admin
Admin
Oh, and don't forget to show us the pictures. ;)

EOBOY
EOBOY
pigs said:
Thanks all! We've had one booked, but they told us today that they haven't had much success lately (they only fish the Sandy and are unfamiliar of the more coastal rivers-- which is why I originally started this thread). They said they've gone a few days with 0 catches, so they understand if we want to cancel.

Currently in talks with Tanner so hope it works out! *crossing fingers*

Very good choice, but he'll work you like a Gov. Mule so be ready:thumb:

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
pigs said:

I'm sure Tanner will get you some fish. Post pics.