guide vs taking people out

F
fishtales
So I'm starting a new thread on this subject out of my own curiosity. So at what point does law enforcement consider someone to be representing themselves as a designated guide? I'm happy to elaborate on this question if it is confusing.

F
fishnquest
I think it is as simple as when money changes hands.

T
Throbbit _Shane
ok when someone takes u out on there boat. money exchanges hands, for gas and launch fees.

F
fishnquest
Ok, sorry. I meant to say when someone takes money to take you fishing. NOT sharing the cost of going fishing; I do that often. Getting paid to take you fishing makes a "professional" guide. I assume thats what he means by "designated".

T
Thuggin4Life
If you charge for the service is guided. If you make them pay for there fair share its not.

H
Hawk
I only git $100 donations on the Smith River cuz it's named after great granpa Jedediah...

hahahahaha
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jus kiddin' folks...:rolleyes:

T
The Nothing
there is a fine line, but at the same time, that line can be broad...

a guide:
-licensed through state authorities
-provides fishing service complete with boat, qualified captain, and ALL GEAR
-income comes from fishing services

ride-along:
-requests only cost coverage (ie, does not make money)
-does not advertise "services"

O
OnTheFly
It's more of a process to become a professional guide than one might think. osmosis told me what he had to go through to be one and it ain't pretty.

F
fishtales
fishnquest said:
Ok, sorry. I meant to say when someone takes money to take you fishing. NOT sharing the cost of going fishing; I do that often. Getting paid to take you fishing makes a "professional" guide. I assume thats what he means by "designated".

I'm not sure I used designated because I'm not sure of the exact terminology. Do guides need to have some sort of sticker on their boat? Not sponsorships but like a license sticker? I have not seen many boats that say so and so professional guide or so and so designated guide. I’m sure the pro one is common.

J
JeannaJigs
fishtales said:
I'm not sure I used designated because I'm not sure of the exact terminology. Do guides need to have some sort of sticker on their boat? Not sponsorships but like a license sticker? I have not seen many boats that say so and so professional guide or so and so designated guide. I’m sure the pro one is common.

They must have a designated guide sticker on their boat, it's given when they receive their license. It changes year to year like a registration sticker, it's usually next to the hull registration numbers.

If there is no license...there better not be money changing hands.

splitting the cost of a trip is another story. Chipping in for gas and launch fees, lunch, etc.