Guide for my son

S
saltwater143
looking into getting a guide for me and 12 year old son. I really want him to catch his first salmon or steelhead and he loves fishing but my experience is very limited. I would like to hear some reccommendations if any of you have some. We live in Albany and would like to stick with the santiam. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
On the Santiams Grant sheely is hard to beat. A great guy, very educational. This time of year booking gets tuff. If you are willing to wait till around the first of june, I'm not above teaching others. The springers and summers will be in pretty good then, and can show you how to fish some of the public access spots.

S
saltwater143
im not in a big hurry in fact i was thinking that i would have to book a ways out. Just trying to plan ahead for now. I just wanted a good experience for my son and I. I've seen your name around here a lot throughout the post and would be willing to accept any assistance that you could offer. Let me know what your scheduling looks like for the springers and or summers. Thanks for the input, brian

B
bigsteel
grant scheele,,,,hes out of albany,,,,very knowledgeable and fun to spend the day with.

O
OnTheFly
This guy is outstanding. Forum name: Osmosis

Last edited by a moderator:
F
flyfisherman4
I know you said on the santiam but on the Umpqua Todd Hannah is incredible you can google him for his website he got me into my first steelhead he is a great guy/guide great to talk to and really knows his stuff.

Troutski
Troutski
flyfisherman4 said:
I know you said on the santiam but on the Umpqua Todd Hannah is incredible you can google him for his website he got me into my first steelhead he is a great guy/guide great to talk to and really knows his stuff.

Here, here on Todd....expert in all species on the mighty Umpqua. You can not go wrong.

Chuck

S
saltwater143
thanks for all the replies. I will let you know how it goes when we get out there. Thanks again