Grouse gunners?

A
adambomb
September 1 is right around the corner, and I was wondering if any of you guys (or gals) grouse hunt. I usually hunt the molalla river corridor for ruffled, and Mt. Hood Nat. For. land for blues. Any body up for an opening weekend trip?

T
Timber
Oh jeez, when I used to hunt, ruffed grouse were one of my favorites for starting off bird season. I used to hunt the abandoned logging roads behind Three Lynx up the Clackamas. Many years ago, lots of fun, and lots of birds. We used to combine it with shooting band-tailed pidgeons out of an old snag across from Austin Hot Springs. I was a crack shot when the birds were still. I still get chills thinking about when we ran across a bear grouse hunting and my dog wanted to challenge it.

M
metalmania
Can't wait for the season opener, seems like it's been so long since i've pulled my 870's trigger.

S
Swamp Puppy
I love sept. 1st!

bluegrouse.jpg

quail2.jpg

M
Markcanby
Hey Adam anytime you want to bird hunt I an up for it an you will be Ava's new best friend. She waits all year to put some birds in the air.

M
metalmania
So who's going tuesday? Can't decide if I want to fish or hunt ( it's a constant dilemma I deal with). It's been awhile since i've bird hunted with a gun so i'm pumped to get back into it.

F
Fishtopher
Anyone care to share their knowledge with me on thsi subject? I have a Moss Model 500 that has spilled little blood, a looong time ago. I need a bird mentor I guess.

M
metalmania
Fishtopher said:
Anyone care to share their knowledge with me on thsi subject? I have a Moss Model 500 that has spilled little blood, a looong time ago. I need a bird mentor I guess.

What do ya need to know?

S
Swamp Puppy
look for ruffed grouse in creek bottom areas. blues (the one's i have found anyway) tend to be higher up and i have had the best success looking along edges of clear cuts/tall older growth pines.

if you flush birds, expecially the ruffs, watch where they fly off to. a lot of times they will end up in trees and you can spot them hiding in the branches if you look close enough.

mountain quail are a little more hit and miss, but once you find a covey you can usually find them in the same area around the same time over and over again...which is nice because it may take a couple of times before you can get a decent shot at the little buggers. just don't push them too hard and remember when/where you saw them and go take a whack at them again the next time you are out. find exposed areas on southern facing slopes that have a food source (berries) and water near by and you probably aren't far from a covey of quail.

grouse/quail will also get out on gravel roads to pick up grit and dust bathe. i have had the best luck finding them along roads in the early afternoon, but have seen them in the morning and evening as well.

F
Fishtopher
metalmania said:
What do ya need to know?

Easier question would be; what DONT i need to know...I dont need to know how to shoot, when to shoot, and why to shoot, and where to not point!:lol:

That 'last time' was a really looong time ago, and I was just drug out and tossed in the brush, with little to no information/instruction. I guess I need to be taken to the woods and schooled by someone who is an avid birder.

Is the Moss 500 12 acceptable for most applications?

...thanks swamp puppy

M
metalmania
[QUOTEIs the Moss 500 12 acceptable for most applications?[/QUOTE]

As long as it has a magazine cutoff your good to go. I've got a 500 and love it. I use 6 shot as it works for grouse and the many quail at the place I do most of my hunting. Anywhere in mt. hood national forest will have grouse as well as quail, the problem is the timber is thick in many places and can make shooting difficult. Like swamp puppy said, look for clear cuts and try to flush any birds into the open and away from the dense timber( easier said then done). You will see many birds on the road but don't shoot them like everyone else does, it's dangerous and unsportsman like. Just spook them off and try to take them in the forest.

S
Swamp Puppy
i'll put aside my own personal beef with Mossberg guns and just say this. yes, the mossy 500 will work well for what you are doing. i recommend an Improved Cylinder choke, but you can get away with a Modified if that is what you have. the gun in my pic of the Blue Grouse is a Mossy 835 pump. a bigger version of the 500 basically. i am using a Benelli Nova pump these days.

cheap #6 game loads are plenty for what you are doing. no need to spend a bunch of extra money on high end hunting shells.

driving roads to find mountain quail is about the only way i will do it. we drive until we catch a covey scootin' across the road and then park the truck, hop out, and start pushing up the hillside hoping we can get a flush/shot.

M
Markcanby
The most important thing to bring with you is a dog. Anytime you guys want to go shoot me a PM I haven't done a lot of grouse hunting but I can put you into Chukar. I have a spot by Maupin that always has birds.

D
dude young
Haven't hunted grouse since I lived in PA. Those things still scare the crap out of me when they flush. Sounds like a helicopter taking off under your feet. But man do I miss it. Been hunting pheasant and h2o fowl in NH for the last 10 years. Oh, and woodcock too. Those things are off the hook. It's like apongpong ball shot from a cannon in the woods.

I am so in for bird hunt. I too shoot an 835. I have a sweet short barrel (for turkeys) that swings real nice in the thickets. The 835 is the Subaru of spray guns. This one in particular has been a turkey gun, upland gun, duck/goose, and most importantly, an emergency oar. I have layed that gun in the mud, used it to row my boat out, and shot birds with it all in the same day.

I would welcome the chance to hunt with you guys with a great deal of gratitude. This weekend would be sweet. I can have the dog Sunday, but Saturday she keeps the old yella dawg company while wifey works.

M
metalmania
I think i've made up my mind and i'm gonna give the birds a try tuesday. Hopefully this year will be better then last. Lots of quail but the grouse seemed a little scarce. I'll post the results of my victory, or atleast I hope my vitory:D.

F
Fishtopher
Good luck man!

A
adambomb
Fortunately, I still work 40hrs a week so my birds will have to wait till the weekend. Don't forget guys, that forest grouse my be legally taken with any rimfire firearm. I always keep my .22 handy for those birds tucked in way up a tree. Both my 12ga, and my .22 are single shot, by preference. A wise old hunter told me when I was young that by using a single shot, you can subconsciously train your brain to make your first shot count. So far it works really well for me, except when I flush 3 or 4, that's when the .22 comes in handy with second shots;)

A
adambomb
I'm headed out to upper Molalla river area in the morning to try and find some grouse. Not sure how this first real rain will affect them. Gonna try for some fishies while I'm up there too.:)

M
Markcanby
Let me know how it goes I was thinking the same

O
osmosis
So who wants to drag me along, any edible winged critter is fine with me! :D
I have a 20ga, 12ga, .22's, and plenty of shells.

I have an 11' flat bottom swamp boat (made by sears) that is dying to have a couple small leaks caulked and given a new home with a serious bird hunter! It's not full of holes either just every 3 hours or so I hit the bank and flip it to empty the couple gallons out. some JB or silicon and problem solved, I just havent bothered.