Grinding a whopper plopper in Florida 8-26-21

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Back in Florida still to see some terminal family, but I get out to bass fish at night while they sleep.

Bite has been extremely tough, it's so hot the fish hug the bottom and refuse to move during the day. Very pressured water as well, I counted 7 other guys fishing a pond that was maybe 3 acres.

About 6-7 hours of throwing a Whopper plopper finally paid off, first fish ate at the bank after I sped it up, maybe 2lbs.

2nd fish made it all worth it, suspended in a cove where some water was moving, ate within the first couple feet.

6lbs 8oz, probably one of the longest largemouth I have ever caught. Florida strain for sure.

Fished for 2.5 more hours and never had another bite.
89a8597aa3bc7c9883371ac298f91ac1.jpg
6abf33ae3a030f3f9e78eafe29484631.jpg
ae0264741b14b7ed5dfaaee907f33ffe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Admin and bass
bass
bass
6lb 8oz and so skinny. That thing would probably be close to 8 if it was fat!

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
bass said:
6lb 8oz and so skinny. That thing would probably be close to 8 if it was fat!
Probably next spring!

This lake has produced a 13 AND a 14 lb fish both this year. The 13 was killed by a kid who wanted to mount it

14 swam free.

Florida strain largemouth are a whole different animal, larger mouths, longer bodies, and they don't "hibernate" or slow down in the winter, you can get away with much larger baits for sure, although I find they get a little lazier than Oregon bass, swipe at bait more often instead of inhaling them

bass
bass
NKlamerus said:
Probably next spring!

This lake has produced a 13 AND a 14 lb fish both this year. The 13 was killed by a kid who wanted to mount it

14 swam free.

Florida strain largemouth are a whole different animal, larger mouths, longer bodies, and they don't "hibernate" or slow down in the winter, you can get away with much larger baits for sure, although I find they get a little lazier than Oregon bass, swipe at bait more often instead of inhaling them
My brother lives in Lakeland, FL and I have fished the pond behind his house for bass. I only used a Carolina rig but the bite was good. No big fish but it was fun. When we would go out to fish it was always in the ocean. I have not been out his way in quite a few years but I hope to get out here again at some point in the future.

Glad to see you are having such an awesome trip!

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
bass said:
My brother lives in Lakeland, FL and I have fished the pond behind his house for bass. I only used a Carolina rig but the bite was good. No big fish but it was fun. When we would go out to fish it was always in the ocean. I have not been out his way in quite a few years but I hope to get out here again at some point in the future.

Glad to see you are having such an awesome trip!
Carolina seems to be the ticket here as well. Went out again last night, pops and I each caught 1, one on a Caroline rigged 10" worm, and another on a keitech
bce0e6c7020bbfd42d59870d600a3eab.jpg