Greg Oden out for the year

N

n8r1

It's his 3rd major knee surgery in 4 years. This one breaks my heart more than the others though, because I'm now afraid that he may never play another game in a Blazers uniform.

Portland Trail Blazers center Greg Oden out for season because of knee injury - ESPN

I will be the first to say that I love Greg Oden. He's goofy, charismatic, and extremely talented when he plays. Last year he was putting up all-star numbers before he went down with the torn patella. 24 points and 12 rebounds against Chicago, 15 points and 20 rebounds against Miami, and improving each time out. Then wham! he goes down for the count. Now it's another injury before he even gets on the court.

Sad because the combination of his size, ability, and personality, he really had the opportunity to be the face of the Blazers franchise. Now I'm wondering if he will ever play a game in the NBA again. Poor guy won't be able to walk when he's 50 if this keeps up.

B

bigsteel

i saw this too,,,man i would love to see the guy play,but hes worthless now 3 knee surgeries and hasnt produced a thing,,,we picked another sam bowie,,should have drafted kevin durant

H

Herefishyfishy

It's a definate heart breaker, for us and for most of all him. I feel bad for the guy, talk about a tough break! Big guys have big problems: Oden, Bowie, Sabonis, Ming......I just can't wait for the return of the Vanilla Gorilla! My favorite NBA moment of all time was watching Prizybilla get up in Shaq's grill!

brandon4455

brandon4455

i saw this too,,,man i would love to see the guy play,but hes worthless now 3 knee surgeries and hasnt produced a thing,,,we picked another sam bowie,,should have drafted kevin durant

agreed with kevin durant. but what happend? oden was bomb at ohio and now this? he didn't even play that well for the blazers when he was on the court. i was looking forward to the guy playing bu i guess he's screwed

V

viento

What comes around goes around. When Paul Allen waived Dante Cunningham,
(one of the hardest working Blazers) after a severe injury, it was a short turn of the great justice wheel in the sky, for the next Blazer malady to appear. But coach Nate can field a team of speedsters who will beat lumbering or lazy opponents to their favorite spots, and make life miserable for opposing coaches. Greg will recover, and do well. Bowie did, even Walton motored about in a championship supporting role for the Celtics. I'm rooting for Dante to get picked up and nurtured to health by a decent NBA owner willing to finance the recovery of a tenacious gamer!

Last edited:
B

bigsteel

(one of the hardest working Blazers) after a severe injury, it was a short turn of the great justice wheel in the sky, for the next Blazer malady to appear. But coach Nate can field a team of speedsters who will beat lumbering or lazy opponents to their favorite spots, and make life miserable for opposing coaches. Greg will recover, and do well. Bowie did, even Walton motored about in a championship supporting role for the Celtics. I'm rooting for Dante to get picked up and nurtured to health by a decent NBA owner willing to finance the recovery of a tenacious gamer!

Dante Cunningham still is a blazer.of course we all feel sorry the guy that gets hurt but when your paying him multi millions of dollars a year to sit on a bench,you gotta fill that roster spot.

N

n8r1

Are you thinking of Jeff Pendergraph? Cunningham is still a Blazer and played half the game 2 nights ago.

As far as Pendergraph goes, we really needed the roster spot with all the injuries we've suffered. He's still getting a full paycheck, but our only option was to either waive him or keep him on the roster. Since we desperately needed a backup center, we waived him and eventually picked up Sean Marks to backup Camby. Even after Jeff was waived, he appeared on an edition of Blazers Courtside with Michael Holton, so he's staying in touch with the team. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was back in a Blazers uniform next season.

V

viento

(sorry, Dante, Dante!, meant Jeff, but peterptually lysdexic) Looks like the Blazers also let Jeff use the training facilities, I would have hoped an
injured reserve spot, or other technicality would be in play, maybe they were all taken as they sure didn't release Greg or Pryz.

For injured forward Jeff Pendergraph, working out stings when out of work | OregonLive.com

Looks like there are tons of rules inhibiting teams from picking up waived players

Question about NBA Waivers......

hope it works out for the injured ones.

Cheers

T

tnffishman

I can't stand when people say "shoulda got Durant". We needed a big guy down low, not a scorer like Durant cause we had Roy. But now of course with Oden being a bu@$ (still not callin him that yet, but close) and Roy having NO muscle left in his knee, it's sad to see that this rip city revival might come crashing down. All I know for sure is that with guys like Andre Miller, and Camby and everyone else they sure in heck aren't going to give up and they are a lot better than the majority of NBA teams. And they still will be exciting, but when it comes to playoffs they need EVERYONE

T

todd

I can't stand when people say "shoulda got Durant". We needed a big guy down low, not a scorer like Durant cause we had Roy. But now of course with Oden being a bu@$ (still not callin him that yet, but close) and Roy having NO muscle left in his knee, it's sad to see that this rip city revival might come crashing down. All I know for sure is that with guys like Andre Miller, and Camby and everyone else they sure in heck aren't going to give up and they are a lot better than the majority of NBA teams. And they still will be exciting, but when it comes to playoffs they need EVERYONE

i agree

B

bigsteel

yea,we needed a big guy and ended up with a 250 pound paper weight.now with Roy having knee problems,looks like Durant would have been a perfect draft choice.a team can have more then one scorer,and when oden gets back,he will never be the same,he wont be as aggressive or agile as he once was.

T

tnffishman

yea,we needed a big guy and ended up with a 250 pound paper weight.now with Roy having knee problems,looks like Durant would have been a perfect draft choice.a team can have more then one scorer,and when oden gets back,he will never be the same,he wont be as aggressive or agile as he once was.

It's easy to say that NOW. But the team was in rebuild mode. They had the star guard(Roy) and Forward(Aldridge) but they wanted to be a dominant force inside so they went with Oden. Looking back on it now I would definitely say get Durant IF we could've known. But during that time no one was really saying durant. When Oden when healthy last season he was very productive, I was at the last game he played, and it might be his last game as a blazer, or in the NBA. But if if we can get Joel to stay healthy and Roy to somehow become 75% of his old-self we can get outta the first round

B

bigsteel

It's easy to say that NOW. But the team was in rebuild mode. They had the star guard(Roy) and Forward(Aldridge) but they wanted to be a dominant force inside so they went with Oden. Looking back on it now I would definitely say get Durant IF we could've known. But during that time no one was really saying durant. When Oden when healthy last season he was very productive, I was at the last game he played, and it might be his last game as a blazer, or in the NBA. But if if we can get Joel to stay healthy and Roy to somehow become 75% of his old-self we can get outta the first round
wes mathews is lookin good if he can share the load with Roy well be in good shape.

C

capblack

Oden is like an old car that keeps breaking down. you gotta sell him next time hes running. just my opinion, he will be injury proned for his entire career. we need pryz back. Brian