Green Peters Reservior

F
fish face
I have never fished Green Peters though I have heard / read a great deal about the lake. As as kokanee fishing, has anybody jigged for them and what lures were hot and which ones were not?

J
juggernaut506
Jigging buzz bombs off a boat next to the dam or at the bridge that everyone fishes off of can be hot for kokanee and chinooks. Trolling a wedding ring with a 2oz banana sinker or down rigger and beer can flasher works well.

troutdude
troutdude
X 2. Plus...

Trolling a dodger (flasher) and a hoochie rig is a hot ticket too, for the Kokes. Hot pink is good color. And tip the hook w/ white corn kernels. Tip a wedding ring--in the above example--also with white corn.

Early in the season, 1/2 to 2 oz. banana weight is good. In the summer, you'll have to drop to 60' or more to find the schools. So, you'll need a downrigger.

If you want trout, go in March and flat line a Doc Shelton flasher set. Attach 2 - 3' of leader with a 1/2 green and 1/2 black Wedding Ring spinner, tipped with 1/3 to 1/2 nightcrawler. Do not add very much weight at all; you want to fish in the top 20' of water. Go along the eastern shore line and go slow. BAM!

Also...to learn a LOT more...look under both Green Peter forum and under the Kokanee forum, for lots of archived threads and posts for more details.

Last edited:
J
juggernaut506
Last time I tried fishing off my boat next to the dam the kokes weren't biting but I c&r'd a couple dozen trout by just casting a worm out as far as I could and letting it sink back towards the boat.
There's also couple spots that you can catch huge hold overs if you have a boat. To get to the spot I know of to catch those you have to be wary of how fast the wind can pick up and make the water really rough.

F
fish face
Thanks. Yea, I know that trolling is most likely better. However, with my wife and three kids the lines would most likely get crossed or tangled. When I fish Wikiup I jig with different colored Nordics tipped with corn and that works--well sometimes.

J
juggernaut506
I haven't fished Wikiup yet. One of my buddies told me a secret that he uses to catch some giant browns. It's non conventional for trout and people who see him doing it think he's a Californian but it works.

F
fish face
Secret!? I love secrets. But I know, if you told me then it wouldn't be a secret. I know that some people use what they call a Wickiup sandwich. I personally saw one guy a few years ago pull out a giant brown using a green Nordic. To this day it was the biggest fish I seen caught coming out that lake. Kokes can be on or off either jigging or trolling. We bought a boat in March 2010 (until then I always hitched a ride) and now looking for new places to fish and I have always heard about GP.

FF

T
TTFishon
fish face said:
Secret!? I love secrets. But I know, if you told me then it wouldn't be a secret. I know that some people use what they call a Wickiup sandwich. I personally saw one guy a few years ago pull out a giant brown using a green Nordic. To this day it was the biggest fish I seen caught coming out that lake. Kokes can be on or off either jigging or trolling. We bought a boat in March 2010 (until then I always hitched a ride) and now looking for new places to fish and I have always heard about GP.

FF

Did you happen to see that 26 pounder caught last year? I know the secret bait he used but I'll never tell. lol

F
fish face
I saw a picture of him at the Resort (South twin lakes resort) hanging to another picture of him with another giant brown. This guy has more than just luck, he must have a "secret".

troutdude
troutdude
juggernaut506 said:
To get to the spot I know of to catch those you have to be wary of how fast the wind can pick up and make the water really rough.

You can almost set your watch, to the time that the wind picks up. It's usually 9:30, but sometimes 10:00. And it happens almost everyday. So, getting to the lake early really helps.

F
fish face
Is the wind bad enough to toss a small boat (16 feet) like mine around?

troutdude
troutdude
It can be. It can also make for a SLOW and WET trip back to port.

M
mosd
i know from personal experience it can be rough especially fishing outta a 20' flat bottom boat, usually the wind will pick up around 10 or so, and be extremely tough to fish. when that happens i usually head to one of the arms of the lake to get outta the wind
flat lining can be effective during the early parts of the year, but as the water warms, then you need to go deeper as far as 65-70' during the peak of the summer.
i usually use a double down rigger set up as i have my 2 rod permit, an use a shasta "sling blade" usually in uv pearlescent with either a chartreuse or blue wedding ring about 12-18" behind it, also make sure you have those wedding rings tipped with garlic corn, if not might as well enjoy a day out on the lake

C
Combat Chuck
It seems like more calm days happen outside of summer. This was Saturday afternoon. :D
DSCF4036SMALL.JPG

troutdude
troutdude
Hey fish face,

MOSD bagged a LOT of kokes last year, so if you follow his lead...you will definitely bagged some feesh too!

F
fish face
I will and thanks for the advise. As far as the wind goes, is year around or only the first part of the year?

B
bernduffy
I discovered Green Peter last year and it quickly became one of my favorite trips. My modest success came on hootchies and wedding rings tipped with shoepeg corn trolled behind dodgers at various levels. Surprisingly, my two largest kokes were brought in while flat lining.
Re the wind: I had one day when it kicked up suddenly around 11 am and did not let up for 3 hours. It was brutal. Be prepared.
Also, the ramp can be a circus....especially on Kokanee Derby Day. If you're going to try the rutted dirt put-in by the dam, you better have 4 wheel drive and high clearance.

M
mosd
bernduffy said:
I discovered Green Peter last year and it quickly became one of my favorite trips. My modest success came on hootchies and wedding rings tipped with shoepeg corn trolled behind dodgers at various levels. Surprisingly, my two largest kokes were brought in while flat lining.
Re the wind: I had one day when it kicked up suddenly around 11 am and did not let up for 3 hours. It was brutal. Be prepared.
Also, the ramp can be a circus....especially on Kokanee Derby Day. If you're going to try the rutted dirt put-in by the dam, you better have 4 wheel drive and high clearance.

i second that notion, the ramp at both launches can be a circus especially when you take out at noon cause of the wind. cause then you gotta contend with the skiers wanting to put there boat in, an believe it or not, but that ramp at the campground you can launch two boats at, but most peeps there dont know how to back a boat in and take up the whole launch. hence why i got a smaller boat, and gonna start launching at the dam, no crowds to deal with

F
fish face
Is there a fee associated with the ramp like Detroit lake?

S
SalemFisherE
No there isn't a fee at either of the boat ramps. I have fished with my dad at green peter fir about 5 years with and always trolled wedding rings with shoe peg corn usually had success. i think our best day was somewhere around 20 koke's above 12". great lake get there early and get out when the recreation boats are coming in. that way your not in the wind all day and its not complete hell getting out of the water.