Lakes Green Peter Reservoir Fishing Reports

C_Run
C_Run
I went back up to GP today with the goal of getting enough Kokanee to fill the Little Chief. I mentioned on Capblack's thread last week I had gone up once and lost quite a few. Since I'd been up to Quartzville four times straight, I thought it was time to branch out and try somewhere else since it is such a big lake. I went to Thistle and fished around the Thistle arm and also Whitcomb. It took a while but I finally found the Kokes. Today I had a 100% landing rate with none lost at the net or LDR's.

X1iuqkW.jpg

Unfortunately, today the total was only two. The other thing that went wrong is that I seem to have found the part of the lake where they did not bother to cut the trees off very close to the ground. I lost both of my dodgers trolling in over 40' of water and I know I am only getting down 20-25'. Since I had never lost any gear up there before it was an unpleasant surprise to find I was done kokanee fishing so soon. All I had left was a grub and a jig head on another rod which I fished for another two hours with no bites. This has caused me to rethink the kind of line I am using since , obviously, the leader was stronger than the mainline and each rig was north of $10 when you add up all the gear. The solution is going to be to just switch to another similar reel I have that's got heavier line and make sure the leader is lighter. Never had that problem until today. Here is my prize from last week.

bB1WG7m.jpg

Here is my rig.

Wzxrslz.jpg

If you any of you OFFers see me up there this spring, say hi. I figure it will take me until June to fill that smoker at this rate.

Oh, yes. That net is custom and absolutely essential for netting kokes from a kayak. I got an old rod for $1 at a garage sale and epoxied it into the handle of my net. Otherwise it is impossible to stretch your arms that far apart to net the fish.

T
tomriker
looks like a nice day at GP from the last picture! and about the first 2 fish.. yikes! were those even worth bringing home :lol:

Reactions: TTFishon
O
oraca
lost gear

lost gear

I saw you today & where you were fishing I have not seen any tall trees but there are 10'-15' tall stumps & large boulders on the points except where you got out & ( stretched your legs) that is a long fairly smooth point. Do you have a depth finder ? ( I know space is a concern) if not it would be a valuable tool to have. I have fished that area in the low water & have not seen any tall trees. Good luck in the future. In response to the post above mine THEAY ALL EAT don't let em get you down.

Last edited:
C_Run
C_Run
Tomriker, I was counting on getting 23 more:mad:. Did not happen today. I'm saving them in the freezer.(The bigger one is 11".) My day will come.

Yes I do have a depth finder and have never snagged the bottom except a few times in less than 20' so I figure I am about that far down most of the time. The finder said 45' where I lost my gear. There must have been a log, stump or something.

I learn something new every time I go.

troutdude
troutdude
Please tell me, CRun, that your cat really is NOT ignoring those beautiful fish. If so, you'd better rush him/her to the cat shrink and FAST! Either that, or bring back the other 23 that he or she is waiting for. :lol:

That's a nice lookin' Yak set up. And I can dig that custom net man. Very cool.

Sorry to see (or...uh hem..."C") that you lost some gear. That's always a bummer. But, also part of the gig.

Hope you fill your stringer, next time out.

A
astromech_kuhns
Wish i coulda seen you, i was at foster but i drove around a couple times and was thinking about heading to GP. looks like you had fun, i caught four regular sized trout today, so it was fun for me to!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice kokes!

I was there earlier in the year in my pontoon when the water was real low. Scored a dodger, a planer, and a apex lure haha. You might look into fishing the same area when the water comes down again.

C_Run
C_Run
Throbbit _Shane said:
Nice kokes!

I was there earlier in the year in my pontoon when the water was real low. Scored a dodger, a planer, and a apex lure haha. You might look into fishing the same area when the water comes down again.

We think alike. I hiked around the bottom of Detroit a couple of months ago but I only found one wedding ring spinner. I think someone got there first. It's an interesting landscape without the water for sure.

Troutdude. That is a toothless, geriatric cat. Still, he can bring down the mice, rip them apart and suck the juices. He's definitely not to be trusted around the fish.

troutdude
troutdude
C_Run said:
Troutdude. That is a toothless, geriatric cat. Still, he can bring down the mice, rip them apart and suck the juices. He's definitely not to be trusted around the fish.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

C
capblack
looks like a nice day at green peter. its pretty hard to beat a day on the water up there in my opinion. keep it up, the best fishing is yet to come. Brian

D
DYJ
Good times. We made it out for our first trip on the 13th and did pretty dang good, but it took 6 hours to find em. 23 fish, 5 rods and 8 hours

C_Run
C_Run
DYJ said:
Good times. We made it out for our first trip on the 13th and did pretty dang good, but it took 6 hours to find em. 23 fish, 5 rods and 8 hours

I love it up there , especially when it's not windy. Got resupplied with dodgers and snubbers plus the spousal green light to go again so I'm formulating my plan of attack for next time. The weather looks great this coming week.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Couple questions since I've never been.

Is there somewhere about 10 scouts can pitch tents near the water? Boat access only is ok.

How would you suggest fishing it this time of year? Most are beginner fisherman. We will have a couple small motor boats and some canoes.

Thanks in advance for helping!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
You can get camping information, from Linn County Parks & Rec.

For trout, I'd troll along the eastern shoreline across from the boat ramps. The usual fare should work: spoons like Little Cleo's, Thomas Buoyant's, etc. Or, wedding rings in standard pink or 1/2 black and 1/2 green bodies tipped w/ a chunk o' worm. I'd try 1/2 to 1 oz inline banana weights, about 100 - 150 behind the boat.

Whitcomb Creek campground info:

https://linnparks.com/parks/whitcomb-creek/
Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Last edited:
C_Run
C_Run
Week Three- A Bit Better

Week Three- A Bit Better

4/23- One rod, 8 hours, 8 fish counting two trout. Used pink hootchies with Fire Corn all day. Probably lost as many plus many drive-bys. I used a home made rig with a green hoothcie and silver blade for the last half hour and lost one at the net and had some more bites so it was good to know I could make up something that works. The weather was great except a bit of wind towards the afternoon.

qHmKzNl.jpg

BcqWUl6.jpg

C_Run
C_Run
I remember they wanted to develop some boat-in camp sites but I'm not sure if that has been done yet.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Nice, I love those shiny kokanee, can't wait to get a whole mess of them in July...good eats!

R
rainORsnow1
Here's what I do and the kids will probably get a kick out of it.
Load all ur scouts and camp gear in your boat and cruise to where the island is. There's a long semi flat beach. Camp there or anywhere on the shore. Some places are not campable obviously. It is boat access only unless u want to wade through the woods up a hill.
As far as fishing. Forget the trout. There be kokanee in them waters!!!!!
And fishing has been border line white hot with people pulling their limits on a regular(25).
As far as tackle. Its similar to trout. Just way brighter colors and more hoochies and dodgers. Fish are still on top right now down to about 20'. At first light long line 100' behind the boat with flashers or if u have down riggers use slingblades and hoochies. As the sun comes up it will drive the fish deeper and then its up to u to find em. Shouldnt be much deeper then 20-30' like I said. You'll probably catch trout too as they stocked in recently.
As for where to fish. There's two spot really putting out fish now. By the island and the east end by the floating bathroom. Good luck! Kids will have a blast and good for u taking time out to get the kids involved in such a great hobby!

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
when we go to GP, we normally stay at Whitcomb Creek Campground and along the road approaching the bridge across that arm, there were lots of people 'open' camping between the road and lake. there seemed to be decent shore access and that area is between the Thistle Creek and Whitcomb Creek boat launches....

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thank you all! the help is very appreciated.

Top Bottom